Durhamtown Plantation Union Point, GA

I take it trip reports don't have to be Disney correct?

As many of you know my other passion besides the fort and Disney is 4 wheeling. Since 2006 we have been making a trip to DP the week between Christmas and NYE. The 1st year we went the economy was going pretty good and we got to see a lot of kids with their new bikes and gear. Like most things money has gotten tight and we see less new stuff every year.

My uncle, my daughter and I were the originals on this trip and we've had quite a few friends come up over the years but this trip just my uncle Charlie and I went. We got on the road about 0700 on January 21st. It was snowing this year on our usual time so we changed our dates. Stopped in Savannah to get groceries and breakfast at Cracker Barrel. They have a rest. but it's gotten expensive so we planned on burgers and sandwiches to make it easy.

We got in around 2 and checked into our cabin. This place is a 5 hour drive for us and the cabins are about $60 average so it's a no brainer to rent there instead of taking a camper as the campsites are $30. By the time you use all the extra fuel it's easier just to load the bikes up on a small trailer. They have cabins of all sizes. They even have a couple with a set of bunks and in the corner there's a little vanity for shaving. We call it a bed in a shed. The one we get sleeps 4 and has a bathroom.

The girl who checked us in was nice enough to give us armbands so we could do a couple hours of riding. Once we got back we grilled some steaks and went to the lodge to sit around the fireplace. By lodge I mean it's basically a big open room where you check in and get your riding armbands. They have a arcade and a room with a computer. Nothing real fancy at all.

Coming up, Saturday morning.

We got up and went to the lodge for breakfast to find out it has gone from $5 bucks to $9. Now don't get me wrong DP has not gone up on prices since we've been going. but $9 for a couple eggs and bacon is crappy. We're gonna start doing something different next time. They open the trails at 9 so we headed into the trails and did about 40 miles. This place is on about 8k acres and has some really pretty views. They have tracks for dirt bikes and about 150 miles of trails for every rider. Each time we go there are new trails. This year was no different and they had opened up about 25 new miles. The weather was perfect for riding. About 50 as a high but the nights were still cold.  We spent a lot of time at the lodge fireplace.

Sunday morning. Wow the trip is on it's last day. Since this is a diffent terrain from the sand trails we usually ride we are a little soar. After breakfast we decided to do as much as we can and head out around 2. One thing I will say about Mike and his staff at DP is they try hard to accomodate your needs. We asked for a 1 check out and the girl said no problem. This allowed us more riding time and a shower for the drive home.

Before we left we both had some fuel issues with our bikes. We decided to have the shop there look at them. I'm thinking an easy C note to find out what was wrong. The mechanic took both bikes and cleaned the carbs out. I asked how much and he says $25 a piece. Another reason why we go there. They could've easily charged us an arm and a leg but didn't. 

We ended up getting about 40 miles in before we decided to go. The staff at this place I just can't say enough good about. There are other places that we could go but these folks are good to us and I like going there. A lot of people have opened other places and tried to duplicate this place but it will be hard. I'm sure the economy and rising fuel has hurt their business but I'm hoping the best for them. 

Well I know it's not a TCD report but it's my best lol. I have some pics I will post later but to see more you can go to durhamtown.com to see all they offer.

Donnie,  I'm not a biker, but from your description, this place sounds like a place you REALLY enjoy.  It's nice to find someplace where there care about catering to their clients.  150 miles of tracks sounds awesome (or as Jen might say AUsome).  Thanks for the report.

Guest starbuc71

Donnie,

I didn't know you were into 4 wheelers until recently.  I just noticed you on ATV florida.com  Do you ever get down to croom?  Would love to ride with you guys sometime.  A friend of mine were recently looking into a long weekend trip to Carolina adventureland.  Ever heard of it?  If so, is it worth the trip?

Cool. I have been to DP several times. I race dirtbikes, so it is a good place to practice. Another good place, although it would be a good bit further for you, is Highland Park Resort in Cedartown, GA. Its only an hour from my house...we go there often.

I haven't heard of this place. I have been going to DP since 06 and really like it. One day we're gonna get to Coal Creek.

Donnie,

I didn't know you were into 4 wheelers until recently.  I just noticed you on ATV florida.com  Do you ever get down to croom?  Would love to ride with you guys sometime.  A friend of mine were recently looking into a long weekend trip to Carolina adventureland.  Ever heard of it?  If so, is it worth the trip?

Hey we never got to Croom even though I would like to. I may try it spring break. I joined atv before I found Dis. We're going to ride Ocala tomorrow.

Guest starbuc71

Donnie,

Hey we never got to Croom even though I would like to. I may try it spring break. I joined atv before I found Dis. We're going to ride Ocala tomorrow.

Let me know if you ever get down to croom and we'll hook up.  Some say it's the best riding in FL, but I tend to differ just because I have rode it so much