This seems a good a place as any to ask some questions.  Our fall plans have changed a bit because it looks like we'll be flying to Seattle to visit my husband's parents at the end of October.  We'll be there for one week. I always send a thank you note afterwards, but I was looking for some thoughtful ideas for a host/hostess gift.  A little background, my FIL is an engineer and their house is in Colorado but he has a contract with Boeing so they are living in a small apartment for now where we'll be going.  They are in their early 60s, have two cute silkie terriers they adore, and they have everything and no wine or alcohol would be welcome.  I would like it to be something from here (East central coast of Florida) that is easily transportable on a 7000 hour flight (OK, that may be an exaggeration but tell my knees that).

I don't want to give them something just for the sake of it.  I am really trying to put some thought and care into it.  As far as hobbies, they don't really have any.  By that I mean, no passions that I am aware of.  They are not outdoorsy and since they are empty nesters, my MIL doesn't really enjoy cooking much anymore.  They have a lovely lawn/garden in Colorado, but NA in Seattle.  So....what would YOU like to receive if we came a-callin'?

How about something homemade but classy? Like a nice cross-stitch you made and had framed?  

Another thought is something consumable. My mom is in assisted living and doesn't want any gits she would have to find room for in her small space.  i usually give her a loaf of pumpkin bread, as that was a treat she used to make us and always enjoys.

I like both these ideas!  We went out a few years ago for Christmas and with all the baggage restrictions and security checks, we didn't bring anything from home.  We did take them out for dinner one night, but it just didn't seem very...special, like it lacked that personal touch.  Does that make sense? I'm hoping to take Southwest this time to avoid the baggage hassles and, of course, not traveling at the holidays should make it all less hectic.

My dear friend from high school and her husband spent Christmas with us last year.  As a hostess gift, she gave us a personalized dog placemat for our Abby.  They flew in from Virginia and it fit perfectly in her luggage, didn't weigh much, and didn't take up any room.   She got it on Amazon, and I just love it!  It was the perfect gift for us.