New Mickey Mouse Third Brake Light for the RV

Not ideal, but any chance of finding 3 lenses the right size and then notching and gluing together?  Of course that presents 2 challenges... finding the right size lenses, and making sure that however you glue them, the seam is watertight.

I found this discussion.  It's from 2009, but maybe there's some helpful info anyway...

http://www.streetrodding.com/forums.view/31608

I am looking at both of those methods now. I am now considering casting as an option also. I might need to have a short term solution to satisfy my lack of patience and a longer term solution for the durability. Usually however the Red/Green side of me "its only temporary unless it works" wins.

I'll post pictures this weekend of the finished part.

Plexiglass is a popular brand name for acrylic, like Scotch tape for cellophane tape. Another you here often would be Lexan for polycarbonate.

Bottom line, if it is 1/8" thick and transparent/translucent red and some what sturdy I don't care what the material is.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is an update to the brake light. I got it mounted to the RV and the electrical in place.

IMG_20140908_170856.jpg

Then as I was mounting the lens I broke it! I did get the lens drilled out and was using button head ss screws but I do not like the look of them. I need to find a way to mount the lens without visible fasteners. I was able to do a quick check on it to see how well the brakes lit up and it was ok, not great, but ok.  I think I am going to spend a little time and order transparent versus translucent this time around.

IMG_20140908_170447.jpg

On a side note, I did find transparent vinyl decals, never knew. I may try that out as well. Use clear lexan and cut the decal to fit. I can also see some transparent window decals coming out of this venture.....

Anyway I have the back of the RV stripped down and need to get it decaled up for this December's trip..... We are thinking Tiki Room birds.