Got a disappointing email about my golf-cart reservation..

After having had a terrible winter last year being hospitalized twice with pneumonia and still having long lasting effects from it my DH wanted to something exciting to plan towards so we decided surprise our kids/grandkids (12 in all) with a trip to Disney this coming October. We have had plans in the making since about April and have been SOOOOO looking forward to getting back to the Fort.  

About 1 month ago I contacted Bill from Beachline Golfcarts to request a cart for a few weeks and he told me (at that time) how hard Disney was making it for the vendors. I knew that was true because I had been reading it here and elsewhere. Anyway, I then spoke with him on the phone 7/25 to finalize details regarding the deposit and he said he would contact closer to the date to finalize details. Well, unfortunately I received an email from him dated 8/13 in which he states that Disney has made it just too difficult for him to continue, and that he would not be able to honor the contract. He was very apologetic but said didn't think there were any other options.  Not sure what will happen with any contracts he currently has....you may want to check.

I hope Disney does not think this will make us all rent from them. It will just make me get around less with the grandkids than I would with a cart, and I am sure I would have spent much more visiting the stores and game room, etc. on my grandkids then I ever would the highly exaggerated cost of a golf cart.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also think this is a good time to remind people NOT to post details about how off site rentals work in a public forum. It just alerts Disney as to ways to cut out that system.   Private messages wou

You forgot Statute 320.02  --  As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term: (22) "Bob's Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation in 

That's a bummer.  However what Ray mentions above would be a totally legitimate approach.  In fact, some of the other vendors have hinted toward the necessity to do that very thing as well.   At the risk of playing devil's advocate, and though I don't personally advocate for Disney making it more difficult for these vendors, they have every right to do so.  It's an outside vendor seeking to do business on Disney property.  

Just curious, but Disney have problem with the ecv rental companies?

I have seen them drop off at Disney resorts before.

No I don't think they do. I really don't think they want all the liability of them. I know my sister has rented them in the past and just left them at the front desk when she checked out.

The ECVs are a totally different story. It is a service they don't provide. They do have a list of vendors they approve that can just drop off. The rest have to meet with the client. Also, I think the ADA lawyers would be all over them, if they didn't allow guests to rent Durable Medical Equipment. Golf carts are a luxury

The ECVs are a totally different story. It is a service they don't provide. They do have a list of vendors they approve that can just drop off. The rest have to meet with the client. Also, I think the ADA lawyers would be all over them, if they didn't allow guests to rent Durable Medical Equipment. Golf carts are a luxury

Except at DISNEYLAND. At the Grand Californian you can go to the Guest Relations Desk and rent an ECV from an outside company, but the CM's do the application and call the ECV company with your CC#. Once you are approved the CM goes to a storage area and brings out your ECV. You can use it all over. DTD, DL GC and even ride to the outside resturants. $40.00 a day.

I think WDW doesn't do it because of the logisitics of people getting from Resort to Park. If the ECV's were too convienent it would be a "Bus Driver's Nighmare". Right Lou? Especially since people who really don't "need" them would be renting just for the "convienence" (laziness)

We had a similar situation happen to us a few years back, but the company cancelled a couple days

before our trip. This was right when Disney started limiting the vendors' access. We were fortunate

that Disney had just made the decision because they rented us the cart at the vendors quoted price.

Before we learned this we did some investigating and found that we could rent a trailer for a day for

about $40 to pick up the cart offsite and bring it in.

The next year we rented from Rich (found him here) and it was a good price and fantastic service.

Hope you can get it worked out...

What if you rented a golf cart, off property, and it included a trailer to haul it in.

Would Disney stop you from bringing it into the Fort?

Until or unless they start asking for proof of ownership for carts (which I think is unlikely), there shouldn't be any reason you can't do that.  As long as you are driving your own vehicle, there's nothing to say you don't store your cart locally and aren't just retrieving it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you get stopped by Disney on the way in and asked about it, given what's going on these days, but it shouldn't be a problem.  Just make sure the cart doesn't have some company name plastered all over the side of it. 

In fact our backup plan this year if Disney really makes it impossible for all outside vendors, is to borrow my uncle's.  He lives not too far away and we has offered to let us use it.

Just curious, but Disney have problem with the ecv rental companies?

I have seen them drop off at Disney resorts before.

What Carol said.  They did make it a bit tougher for people to drop off when they instituted the "preferred vendor" thing, but it's still allowed. 

I overheard someone at POP in May talking to a CM about having their ECV dropped off by a company not on "the list" and the CM confirmed that they weren't allowed to store the ECVs at reception like they had been in the past, and that they'd have to arrange to be there when it was dropped off.

What Carol said.  They did make it a bit tougher for people to drop off when they instituted the "preferred vendor" thing, but it's still allowed. 

I overheard someone at POP in May talking to a CM about having their ECV dropped off by a company not on "the list" and the CM confirmed that they weren't allowed to store the ECVs at reception like they had been in the past, and that they'd have to arrange to be there when it was dropped off.

What does it take to become a "preferred vendor"? 

Kickback? 

What does it take to become a "preferred vendor"?

Kickback?

In talking to the vendor we deal with, both purchase and rental Disney ask 10 or 12 not all, including the one we deal with, to submit proposals and then they selected 5. From what I was told there was no rhyme nor reason on who they even selected to do the original submissions.

I know there were some issues with some vendors not retrieving their units in a timely manner after the rental ended.

That really SMB. I'm so sorry to heat that.

What if you rented a golf cart, off property, and it included a trailer to haul it in.

Would Disney stop you from bringing it into the Fort?I

We are going to check into this to see if we can just rent offsite and bring it in ourselves. Will update.

I also think this is a good time to remind people NOT to post details about how off site rentals work in a public forum. It just alerts Disney as to ways to cut out that system.

Private messages would work better for sharing details. :)

What is the speed limit on Vista BLVD/ golf cart rules in FL?

The speed limit for golf carts on public roads is zero.

"316.212 Operation of golf carts on certain roadways.

The operation of a golf cart upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited except as provided herein:"

The speed limit for golf carts on public roads is zero.

"316.212 Operation of golf carts on certain roadways.

The operation of a golf cart upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited except as provided herein:"

Does that include my electric car that happens to look like a golf cart? It is registered and tagged as a electric vehicle.

Does that include my electric car that happens to look like a golf cart? It is registered and tagged as a electric vehicle.

Those are only allowed on roads with speeds 35 or under. Vista and Bonnet Creek are 40 mph.

Florida Statutes

320.01  Definitions, general.--As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:

(42)  "Low-speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour, including neighborhood electric vehicles.

(1)  A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.

(2)  A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.

(3)  A low-speed vehicle must be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02.

320.01  Definitions, general.--As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:

(22)  "Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour.