Public animal viewing areas at AKL?

I think so.  Plus there are lots of cool nooks and crannies around the resort too.

Maybe coordinate it so Adam can do some of the activities...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/13433-resort-hopping/?p=382800

And yes, we can get the Nov schedule when the time comes  :)

Beckers go read my last update from my TR. There's several pix of AKL and more to come in the next update.

But to answer your question, YES! YES! YES! Take the kids to AKL. There are over 100 animals and over 100 birds to see. The public viewing area at Jambo House is approx 30 acres. But as Mo said there is so much to see besides the animals. Take the kids out by the main pool. They have a great CMs working with the kids and they are always doing something for the kids. And there are CM that are actually from different parts of Africa and are pretty knowledgable about the different animals.

Do plan on spending at least two hours there. Three if you go to Kidani Village. There is bus service to and from both resorts.

Okay, just to put a different opinion out there.  We went to AKL the day before we left in 2010.  It took a long time to get there - bus to Outpost, bus to water park, then bus to AKL.  We were all pretty tired by that point in our trip and maybe that is contributed.  It just didn't seem worth it to see some animals sitting around.  We looked around, but the kids weren't that impressed and just wanted to get to DTD, which was our next stop.

However, we didn't coordinate with any of the activities they have at AKL.  Most of my kids don't really like "activities".  Also, there were no helpful CMs about, so maybe that would have helped.

I don't plan to go back this trip, but we do have a morning planned at AK.

I'm going to come down somewhere in the middle.

Whenever we have company from out of state and if they want to visit a WDW resort, AKL is usually one of them. So over the past 16 years, I've been there many times.

As the AKL is very close to us, we don't have to take 3 buses to get there. 

However, it's highly unlikely that you'll come close to seeing 100 animals and birds during the short time that you'll be there. You should see more than 4 and 3 though, I always have.

So if you have to take 3 buses, skip it. If you're expecting a zoo, skip it.

If you have some down time, it's a good filler, but only if you can drive there.

I highly recommend Sanaa for lunch while you're there, but it's not for every one.

There are over 100 animals but they are spread out over the two parts of the resort. And there are fenced off areas within the savanna. Probably so each room has some animals to look at. We had what they call a partial savanna view and every time we walked out on the balcony we saw more than 4 animals.

Part of what I like about AKL is the resort it self. Like Lou said it not a zoo. It's a Lodge. It's suppose to be a resort in the African savanna. Just walk around the resort and look at the art work in the place.

I think if I had to take three buses and was already tired and had kids that want to go to DTD I'd skip it. It's not a place you can just run to for a few minutes.

If some was staying at Disney and asked me about going to AKL and wanted to use Disney transportation I'd recommend they go to AK park early and go to AKL for a late lunch or early dinner. And then take the bus to a park that's closest to their resort.

However, it's highly unlikely that you'll come close to seeing 100 animals and birds during the short time that you'll be there. You should see more than 4 and 3 though, I always have.

So if you have to take 3 buses, skip it. If you're expecting a zoo, skip it.

If you have some down time, it's a good filler, but only if you can drive there.

I highly recommend Sanaa for lunch while you're there, but it's not for every one.

Part of what I like about AKL is the resort it self. Like Lou said it not a zoo. It's a Lodge. It's suppose to be a resort in the African savanna. Just walk around the resort and look at the art work in the place.

All that stuff.

Especially if it's around Christmas and the resorts are decorated.

And check out the Sanaa menu.  If it sounds like your cup of tea, go.  It's fantastic.

We are only doing 1 park day so it will be MK. I was thinking of doing 2 but I can't see dropping that much money. It would be cheaper to do MVMCP and one park day. I asked Adam if he had to chose no Disney or being there for a few days and only one park day and he said 1 park day is better than no Disney. Hopefully it doesn't back fire on me.

We are only doing 1 park day so it will be MK. I was thinking of doing 2 but I can't see dropping that much money. It would be cheaper to do MVMCP and one park day. I asked Adam if he had to chose no Disney or being there for a few days and only one park day and he said 1 park day is better than no Disney. Hopefully it doesn't back fire on me.

Spring Break 2013, we stayed at the Fort 8 nights and only went to the park 2 days (well, OK Jason and I went to Epcot one night while my dad watched Z), and Z didn't even notice. We did the campfire twice, went fishing, went to the pool, and did other Fort stuff. We had a blast! He LOVES the playground at the Settlement. I think we could just go there and the pool for a week, and he wouldn't care. We did do the Backyard BBQ one night. Have y'all done that? I can't remember. 

It's not going to backfire. Your bringing him to Disney. I personally love AKL but I wouldn't take the time out of a short trip to go see it. Wait till you get to go on a longer trip.

Spring Break 2013, we stayed at the Fort 8 nights and only went to the park 2 days (well, OK Jason and I went to Epcot one night while my dad watched Z), and Z didn't even notice. We did the campfire twice, went fishing, went to the pool, and did other Fort stuff. We had a blast! He LOVES the playground at the Settlement. I think we could just go there and the pool for a week, and he wouldn't care. We did do the Backyard BBQ one night. Have y'all done that? I can't remember.

This makes me feel better. After I purchased the tickets from Southwest it was like oh crap! I hope this isn't a bad idea!

We did The BBQ years ago (probably 10?) and I thought it was pure chaos. My parents would never, ever go back so if I would go it would be me and the kids and i think a buffet, a baby, chaos and an excited but sometimes shy ( yr old would have me in the looney bin lol