my dogs may be reaching the top of the hill

they are becoming over the hill as old age is starting to show its ugly face with my girls.  they will be 14 in a few weeks.   :(

thelma is having a "leaking" issue.  from what i've read it is probably happening when she sleeps (which is fairly often).  so, this week we will be heading to the vet to see what is happening and why. i wash the covers and blankets but, soon they smell again and i'm sure it is her.

diapers aren't an option - i've had to use these on louise for bladder/kidney stones? issue and it wasn't fun. plus you need to change them really often to keep infections away.  it would just be to constant that she would need one on.

it is a common problem with dogs that have lower back issues.  she does have a weak lower back/hips and a fold in her private area that makes her lick often-i know- tmi.  in the mean time i will have to stack a bunch of blankets for her to sleep on and keep the washer going.  

it's sad to see them age but it happens.. for the most part the girls are really healthy and happy.  they have the energy and desire to do anything but they do love to sleep when they can.  so, the leak isn't a big deal except--to see what can be done.  

Oh, gosh.  I wish you the best at the vet's.  My bichon will be 15 on Oct. 15, and she is also developing problems.  Several years ago she had bladder surgery which seemed to correct her constant infection problems.  But she is now having trouble with her back legs.  We are increasingly having to lift her up on the bed and onto her chair, which just a few months ago she could handle easily.  

It seems our vet visits are becoming more frequent, and each time I'm scared to death that he will tell me he can't do anything for her.  

But please have faith!  If they still have the energy to bounce around, then that is a good sign!  Abby is sleeping more also, but, heck, if I were 98 (dog years) I'd sleep a lot, too!  

I'll say a prayer for your girls and you, and think positive thoughts.  

Oh, gosh.  I wish you the best at the vet's.  My bichon will be 15 on Oct. 15, and she is also developing problems.  Several years ago she had bladder surgery which seemed to correct her constant infection problems.  But she is now having trouble with her back legs.  We are increasingly having to lift her up on the bed and onto her chair, which just a few months ago she could handle easily.  

It seems our vet visits are becoming more frequent, and each time I'm scared to death that he will tell me he can't do anything for her.  

But please have faith!  If they still have the energy to bounce around, then that is a good sign!  Abby is sleeping more also, but, heck, if I were 98 (dog years) I'd sleep a lot, too!  

I'll say a prayer for your girls and you, and think positive thoughts.  

Okieatheart:  I know I won't complain my girls are really doing good for their age.  We have ramps (3) in the house for them to get up on the furniture.  Two of our dogs had knee issues and these have helped a lot.  

Funny, Louise started whining ( a few months back) to come up on the bed.  For some reason she wouldn't use the ramp.  I put a night light at the end of the bed by the ramp and now she uses it.  I think she just couldn't see well enough to use it at night.

Hang in there and enjoy every day. Who knows, this may be just a temporary ailment, but it has served to heighten your senses as to how important those pups are.

All luck sent your way

It should just be an age thing and we are going to the vet tonight, caveat.  They did say on the phone that they can give her something for this.  I'm concerned on what they are going to give her but, to make us both a little happier - it may be our only option.  

I always get concerned about this little stuff.  It's hard to see them age.  They are so well behaved and have taught 3 puppies how to be really good dogs.  They have also helped retrain 3-4 foster dogs.  

I'll let you know what the vet says.  Hoping it is just a minor thing that can be easily remedied.

Hopefully it's just something minor, Cheryl!

I know some folks that have had luck with apple cider vinegar for their dogs that have just ordinary incontinence issues. You just put a little in their water on a regular basis.

It definitely stinks to see them get older, but as long as they're still happy and enjoying life, it's all good.  :)

i was given proin.  she will get a 1/4 tablet twice a day.  it is suppose to tighten the muscle and this will prevent leaking.  i said-how does a pill do this.  all she could tell me is it is all about the chemistry.  <<shrug>>   so, we are trying it for two weeks and will watch to make sure she doesn't have any side effects.  at about the end of the two weeks she will go to the groomer and we will have her back side all cleaned up (better than i can do) and we'll see.

first to make sure she doesn't have side effects.  so, we'll see what happens over the next 7-10 days.  

well, she's been on it for 24 hours and seems to be doing good.  i know it sounds kinda funny but, i've noticed she seems happier than i've seen her in a long time.  i didn't realize she didn't seem  "normal" lately.  but when you seem them change for the better you know there was an issue.  

i can't say for sure it's the pill.  but...  my thinking is that she is finally sleeping through the night and isn't being worried about her leak all night long.  so, she is in a better mood when she is awake.

i'm glad to hear there's been someone on this proin stuff and that had success, Monique.  so far we are doing good.  the biggest thing the vet said to watch for was high blood pressure.  so, i'm hoping she will be okay.

thanks Gwen and Okie.  i'll keep you posted on our (hopeful) success.  :)

Very hard when you see your friends who have been healthy for years suddenly seem to get hit with the problems of aging.

not easy to spot.  i was told to watch for loss of appetite, restlessness or irritability and increased heart rate.  she a food hound and loss of appetite would definitely take us to the vet!  lol    they both can still see fairly well.  sometimes they don't find the treats we give them and we have to point them out to the girls.  we have added some night lights to different areas of the house which also has helped them.  but, they are aging really well.  

i'm hopeful that this drug does as it should and she (and i) can live happily.  

after researching these pills and knowing the side effects. thelma is doing really good so far on them -- i've decided for now, she is going to be on them for the rest of her life.  so, i looked on line to see the cost.  

the 7 pills i got from the vet (cut into quarters) were just over $10.  my go to place-  drs foster and smith has them for 19-21 CENTS each pill.  WHAT!!   :bugeyes:   120 pills for just over $20.

needless to say i have them ordered from foster/smith.  they will contact my vet and ship right to my house.  i really haven't had an animal on a med for a long time and didn't think my vet would rip me of like that.  WOW!  

our one cat was diabetic and i always bought her insulin at walmart or walgreens.  but, really - check around for better prices on stuff.  my vet will normally price match but, this is a big difference and i'm not messing around with getting him to come down.  

like i said-so far so good.  i cleaned her up with just water the other day and i haven't seen any "extra" staining.  she'll get a bath next week and that'l be a big determining factor.  but, i do think it is helping her- (a lot).       :doublebeer:

after researching these pills and knowing the side effects. thelma is doing really good so far on them -- i've decided for now, she is going to be on them for the rest of her life.  so, i looked on line to see the cost.  

the 7 pills i got from the vet (cut into quarters) were just over $10.  my go to place-  drs foster and smith has them for 19-21 CENTS each pill.  WHAT!!   :bugeyes:   120 pills for just over $20.

needless to say i have them ordered from foster/smith.  they will contact my vet and ship right to my house.  i really haven't had an animal on a med for a long time and didn't think my vet would rip me of like that.  WOW!  

our one cat was diabetic and i always bought her insulin at walmart or walgreens.  but, really - check around for better prices on stuff.  my vet will normally price match but, this is a big difference and i'm not messing around with getting him to come down.  

like i said-so far so good.  i cleaned her up with just water the other day and i haven't seen any "extra" staining.  she'll get a bath next week and that'l be a big determining factor.  but, i do think it is helping her- (a lot).       :doublebeer:

That's good news!!

benadryl i buy at walmart or walgreens.  i get the generic childrens in liquid for one of my dogs.  i'm glad i have it on hand since ringo eats bugs and i think he ate a "dead" bee yesterday.  i noticed he was gasping and gave him some to make sure he didn't swell closed.  but i did take him to the vet to be sure he was alright.  they gave him an anti-inflmatory shot since he still seemed to have issues swallowing.  he was better in no time and today back to normal.

so far thelma is doing good on her pills but i ran out.  i have the pills ordered through drs foster/smith.  hopefully, we'll get them soon.   :(  i think it took my vet a little while to send in the scrip.  

one of the big reasons i go to drs foster/smith is they are located here.  just a few hours north and i can go there if i need to.  

Carol loves Drs Foster and Smith. She buys all kinds of stuff from them. Good prices.

if we ever get to the fort at the same time as you and you want something brought down from them let me know.  i go there a couple times a year.  you can call in the order, pay for it and tell them we'll pick it up.  they'll have it boxed and ready for us.  it's kind of nice.

i got thelma's pills yesterday.  only had one day without so, it shouldn't be too bad.  

louise was outside with us yesterday and she was just sitting in the middle of the back yard-looking toward the fence and out in our field.  she'd look at us but just sat and looked out to the field.  very much not like her.  it was like she was just taking in the smells and sights.  she isn't a hunter or sniffer, she is a patio dog-so it was strange to see her just in a zone.  

i know the girls have moments where they loose me-sight of me.  even though i'm right there and they start to panic run through the house to find me.  so, i watch for when they do this and try to clap my hands, stomp the floor-- once they find me they relax.  

what experiences have you had with aging dogs, any health problems that can be shared that may help others as their pets age?