The Artistically Challenged Can Fake It

I am creating what basically amounts to a paint-by-number camp sign for our next trip to the fort!  I used graphite paper to trace the mickey, outlined with a paint pen, and filled it in with some acrylic paint.  I traced the letters and filled them in too!  Will add our name to the bottom and maybe our own little hidden mickey!

Can't draw. Can't paint. But I love it!!

image_zpse6608536.jpeg

Great job!

I would mess up on the tracing part.

I taped the picture and the graphite paper down and just basically drew over mickey with a pencil. When you take the whole thing off you have a great outline to follow! Besides the graphite paper, the next thing that made it easy for a non-painter was using the paint pen to outline. The hardest part is getting straight lines with a paint bush; so, I outlined in black, painted, then outlined in paint pen again. That took away all the "oops" moments from the brush painting.

The whole project only cost about $20.  I bought the pre-fab pine wood round at Lowe's for $10. Graphite paper was $2.99 at Michael's and the acrylic paint was $.99 a bottle - also at Michael's. The next step is figuring out how to display the thing. It is a bit on the heavy side, so I stuck between using a heavy metal stake or adding big eye screws to the top an hanging it from an "L" bar.  Would love ideas or suggestions from you guys!

I like the idea of hanging the sign. What about taking three pieces of cedar (branches). Put two in the ground and the third across the top of the other two and hanging your sign from the third branch.

That is a great idea! I wonder if I could attach stakes to the branches to make them easy to sink?

Or get some PVC that the branches will fit in. Cut off the bottom at an angle (forming a spike) Pound the PVC pieces in the ground, with a little bit sticking up, and put the vertical branches into the PVC sticking out.

That's how we put up flagpoles while camping with Scouts

Or get some PVC that the branches will fit in. Cut off the bottom at an angle (forming a spike) Pound the PVC pieces in the ground, with a little bit sticking up, and put the vertical branches into the PVC sticking out.

That's how we put up flagpoles while camping with Scouts

Another fine idea! I'm glad I asked before doing something else...these ideas are way cuter then what I was thinking :jumpforjoy