Do we absolutely need a golf cart?

Hello All,

We will be there at the end of September. It's myself, my husband and our 4.5 year old. Do we really need a golf cart? We are driving in so we will have a car but I understand we can only use the car to drive on and off the resort.. right?  We are staying in a cabin although I have no idea which loop. 

Any advice from experienced visitors is appreciated. This is our very first trip to the Fort and the first trip with our child.

Thanks!!

No, you do not absolutely need a golf cart.

I agree.  You can ride bikes or use the internal buses.

However, having a golf cart is great.  It's quicker to get to the Outpost or Settlement.  It's easier to visit with Fiends if you have a cart.  Looping is a lot of fun.  

I agree with Lou. It's not necessary. It just makes getting around easier. Some trips we get one & some we don't. We enjoy walking around the fort. You may want a stroller. The buses in the fort are good to get you to the marina or to the outpost. The marina will get you to the parks by boat & the outpost will get you to the parks by bus. Have a great trip!

I think of having a golf cart at FW as the sprinkles on top of a sundae that already has all your favorite ice creams and sauces, as well as whipped cream and a cherry.  It would be nice, but it is not something I have missed when there.

:welcome:

Just in case this is a cry for justifying the cost.

Yes you MUST have a golf cart.  If you are seen walking, biking or riding around the campgrounds bus system you WILL be asked to leave and never come back.  But don’t rent a cart from Disney $$$$$. 

As everyone else has said, no you dont absolutely need a golf cart. Especially if youll be in the parks most of the time. If your budget allows and you have a non park day that youll be hanging around the Fort, maybe think about renting one just that day. That way youll be able to loop, explore, visit and I found in June it was a great way to keep my 8yo nephew entertained on our non park day (load up we're going for a ride).

I agree with what everyone has already said.

I wanted to give you a bit of advice in case you're going to use the buses- take a moment when you get there to acquaint yourself with the bus routes.  There are three internal bus routes that run through the Fort. Only two of the three run through the cabin loops (the purple and orange).  All of the routes run back and forth between the Settlement (Pioneer Hall and boat to MK) and the Outpost (buses to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and the water parks).  When an internal bus stops at one of the bus stop, the marquee on the bus will indicate what color route it's running, and also whether it's heading to the Settlement or the Outpost.  For the cabin loops, the Settlement Orange bus will take you through the center of the campground, where you can use the Meadow Trading Post stop to get to the pool and campfire area.

It really isn't that complicated. They give you a map at check-in, and there are maps posted at the bus stops.

Every single time I'm on an internal bus at the Fort, there is always a family who gets on the wrong bus and ends up taking a long and unnecessary ride.  Don't be them.

TCD

Golf cart will save you time getting around the camp ground. Help you haul a sleeping child. And help you see the whole fort it's fun to just take a ride. I have been going to the fort since I was born and we never had a cart and always had fun with bikes and walking. Seven years ago me and my wife bought a cart and can't imagine going with out it now. But it's not a must its fun with or with out.

Enjoy your trip.

If you don't plan on getting a golf cart, ask for a cabin closer to a bus stop. The cabin loop I was in was huge. I would have hated walking to the cabin from the bus stop after a long day in the parks.

Good advice!  I agree.

TCD

This is true. When we didn't have a golf cart we stayed in the 200 loop so we were right by the settlement now that we have carts we stay in the 1200(bigger sites and we like the ride on the cart). So if I was in a cabin I would really want a cart.

We will never go without one again!  We have a campsite and a cabin in September and it gets us to places (pool, pom lemonade refill 9 times, boat, dinner, looping, ect) fast. To me,  the cabins are much further away from stuff. I feel we do more having a cart, It is so much easier to jump on the cart at night after a long day at the parks to go see the campfire movie , or fireworks at the last minute, or go people watch at Trails ends. From any cabin that would be a long haul for your 4.5 year old. And buses are nice, but a cart is better.  

Considering the money you just spent on a cabin, for the love of looping, do your family a favor get a cart! Truly, the cost of renting a cart is minuscule compared to your entire vacation expense. We rented from Disney because frankly it was easier, yes a bit more expensive than going to an outside service but It worked for us with no worries of getting a cart delivered. We ened up buying a used 6 seater from someone at the Fort and use that now.

Cart. You won't be sorry and your husband will thank you.

But if you get a cabin too close to the bus stop you will hear them, especially if they do the kneeling and it's associated warning sound.

We have never had a golf cart in all the times we have stayed at the Fort.  We use bikes, walk or busses.

If you do get on the wrong bus it can turn out to be a fun relaxing ride... as long as you're not pressed for time or have a reservation somewhere.  The busses arent as much fun as the open aired trams they used to have back in the "Good Old Days".

If you do walk/bike, there are some shortcuts.  You can go into the 2100 loop, follow the path to the comfort station which is shared with 1100 and then take the path into 1100 and go out onto the main road Ft Wilderness Trail.  From there it's a quick walk to the Meadow.  It makes sense if you look at the map.

But if you get a cabin too close to the bus stop you will hear them, especially if they do the kneeling and it's associated warning sound.

We have never had a golf cart in all the times we have stayed at the Fort.  We use bikes, walk or busses.

If you do get on the wrong bus it can turn out to be a fun relaxing ride... as long as you're not pressed for time or have a reservation somewhere.  The busses arent as much fun as the open aired trams they used to have back in the "Good Old Days".

If you do walk/bike, there are some shortcuts.  You can go into the 2100 loop, follow the path to the comfort station which is shared with 1100 and then take the path into 1100 and go out onto the main road Ft Wilderness Trail.  From there it's a quick walk to the Meadow.  It makes sense if you look at the map.

Open air trams were great I wish they still used them

When my boys were little we traveled to WDW infrequently and stayed on the monorail. As they grew older and voiced opinions about how much they loved going, we tried the Fort - best decision we ever made. Now, for us our golf cart replaces the monorail rides that we would jump on just to "do" something. No, it is not a necessity, but it sure is a lot of FUN.

The Fort has certain transportation needs and Trams couldn't fill those needs in a operational and cost effective manner.

Well they sure were fun.  I understand they were not ADA compliant and Disney would've had to have something else in place for the riders that use wheelchairs, mobility devices, etc. 

I think in keeping with the theme of the Fort, they should use Covered Wagons and buckboard wagons as transportation!

Golf carts should be banned and instead they could rent those surrey bikes that are over at the Boardwalk.  It would make a safer walking environment, and the renters would get a really really good workout! ( I hate those surreys almost as much as the paddleboats and those big 3 wheeled water trykes they used to rent).

Just like the train was an operational nightmare for Disney, it still was a blast to ride on.

Could it be that you're looking at that time period through rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Thinking the same thing. Loud, wet, hot, cold no wheelchair or ECV accessibility. I will give you on a nice day you had a better view and they did look cooler than a bus.  The kids would ride them all over the campground just for fun.  But the buses do a better faster job.   

Could it be that you're looking at that time period through rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Yup I am.  Rainy days you tried to get a seat in the middle of the tram car and in the middle of the row to stay dry.

Got wet and sweated in the summer, ate bugs, and froze in the winters... but they were still fun. 

And I was a lot younger back then!

• 2 weeks later...