The running boards on our truck (and the top of back bumper) have this black plastic covering on it (I think most cars have some of it, somewhere).  It's now very faded and I was wondering if there was a product that would bring it back to a shiny black?

Thoughts??

Do not use Armour All as it will be slippery, there is a product out there called Back to Black, I have not tried it yet but happen to see it once, claims to do what you are looking for, I would try it in a small area first.

I found an article about detailing cars etc at:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59327-how-restore-exterior-black-plastic-trim-2.html

"The Secret
The secret to keeping black plastic trim looking new is really simple but most people miss out on the secret because when they buy a new car everything looks really nice.

The appearance and physical condition of exterior trim goes down hill slowly over time, so slowly that you don't recognize the damage until it gets to the point where the damage has become so unsightly that NOW you see it.

Here's the secret... "Find something you like and use it often"

That is, while your car is still brand new and all the exterior plastic trim looks GREAT! Take the time to do some research on a forum like AGO, ask questions, get feedback and then purchase a quality exterior trim dressing and/or sealant and use it often.

Maybe not OFTEN but as a part of REGULAR MAINTENANCE. For example, use the trim dressing or sealant after every time you wash and dry your car or after every other time you wash and dry your car.

Just the act of rubbing some type of beneficial liquid over the surface has a cleaning and rejuvenating effect all by itself. That is the action of either a foam or microfiber applicator pad being pushed over the surface will remove dead, oxidized particles off the surface and push the product of your choice over and into, (to some level), the surface being treated.

It's pretty obvious that doing nothing at all will not maintain your car's exterior trim.

Find something you like and use it often"

If you like it than this usually means you like, or at least don't mind the procedure for both applying the product and removing any excess and you LIKE how it makes the trim look to your eyes.

Using it often just ensures the surface get some regular attention and that's really all it takes to maintain and preserve exterior trim.

Here's a product that's easy to use and lasts a long time. --> You <-- still have to clean the surface really well and then apply this product or whatever product you like on a regular basis or your trim will simply turn ugly again.

For a trim dressing and protectant after you get your trim clean, and something that is easy and fast to use so chances are good you'll stay on top of the care and maintenance of your trim, check out the Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, it's what I used on the trim in the above article.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant 4 oz
Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant 16 oz.

Before I met my new bride the plastic trim on her Honda was dull and faded. I cleaned it really well and started applying this product and now REGULARLY APPLY IT after each wash and the trim looks like brand new.

Thanks.  I may try some of his suggestions.  We bought this car new back in the spring and the plastic looked great (which means the dealership must have put something on it... just like they did a few other places inside that has now worn off  :- ).   Oh well.  Truthfully, I'm hoping this truck will get us through the next 4 years...and then we'll look for a newer one.  We bought this one (with a lot of miles) because it seemed to run decent, looked fine and did the job for our little camper.  Thankful to have it, now just trying to make it last...and look pretty while we have it  :)