I've come to the point where I think it's a necessity to rent an ECV for our upcoming trip and have questions like:

Three wheeler or four wheeler?

Within the fort I must stay on sidewalks?  So that means I can't ride to the Outpost bus stop?

I know Walker Mobility has on-site people to help out quickly if I have a problem with their ECV, but they aren't on the Disney list.  Do other vendors have on-site people, or will I have a long wait?

Will I have to park it in the stroller area and walk to all the attractions?

I.e., how much walking will it actually save me in the MK?  I know it will help tremendously in AK and EPCOT.

I will have more questions.  Thanks for your help!

And we prefer Scootaround. We got Linda's from them and also used them  when we Cruised and also got the one for Linda when we went to DL. They actually meet with you and not just drop it off. 

Linda prefers the 4 wheeler for getting on and off the boat. However the 3 wheeler will turn a little tighter, but can "feel" a little precarious boarding the boat.  Also as Carol said you can get to the Outpost since the sidewalk runs all the way there. It is along the tree line from the 4 way up to the service drive so you may not have seen it.

At some of the attractions you do park it near the strollers. ex: POC  others you take it all the way to the boarding area.

Forgot to add, Scootaround has their warehouse and office right up the road near Sea World.

Looking at the Map, when you leave 700, you have to cross Fort Wilderness Trail to get to the sidewalk, then follow the sidewalk till just pass 1000 loop/Meadows Trading Post and cross Fort Wilderness Trail again, then follow the sidewalk past 1100 loop. The sidewalk will split, go left, then cross Fort Wilderness Trail again. That will take you past the 4-way stop onto Big Pine Drive. Cross Big Pine Drive just past the 4-way stop, and follow the sidewalk all the way up to the Outpost Bus stop.

Other questions you've asked. We have always had a 3-wheeler. Rick's current ECV is a Pride Mobility 10. Buena Vista does rent them. That thing is FAST. Makes riding through the Fort easy. But it is heavy. Buena Vista has a rental location on the Boardwalk, and their service location is near Port Orleans Riverside. When Rick's charger got wet accidentally, we called them, and they sold us a new one at market rates, and gave us directions to pick it up.

I would recommend getting a small gas grill cover to cover it up when parked at the campground. That way you don't have to give up any under awning space to store it. Also get a shower cap to put over the handle controls when riding around in case a rain shower comes up.

Great info already!  Thank you!

I thought the sidewalk ended at the four-way stop.  Very happy to hear I can ride all the way to the Outpost.

Carol, would a zip-lock bag do for the controls?  

Unless it is a really big ziploc, probably not. A shower cap has elastic all the way around and fits pretty good, and has enough play to allow you to use the controls with the cap on there. I know some rental providers actually provide a shower cap. I also think "Glad Wrap" makes some bowl covers that might work.

3 wheelers make sharper turns but are also eeasier tip over while making the tighter turns. I also always had a fear of my grandma getting the single front tire stuck in the tracks in the MK. It will save a lot of walking in all the parks. I noticed when my grandma used hers that different attractions, different cm, and what you said your ability was for standing and walking all depended on how they got you into the attraction.

3 wheelers make sharper turns but are also eeasier tip over while making the tighter turns.

I also always had a fear of my grandma getting the single front tire stuck in the tracks in the MK.

Good point.

Having loaded hundreds and hundreds of scooters, I've witnessed and grabbed scooters in order to keep them, especially three wheel smaller scooters, from tipping over while exiting the bus.

And even though I always said "make sure you're past the end of the ramp before turning" they hardly ever listened.

It happens when the user turns too soon at the end of the ramp. The rear wheel goes over the flange on the side of the ramp and they start to tip over. There is only the one front wheel in the center which acts as a pivot point instead of the fourth wheel which is further out and is more stable.

I've also seen it happen elsewhere a number of times with sad consequences sometimes because if it's an elderly person, they don't react in time and the first thing to hit the pavement is the side of the head. It's shocking to watch it happen and not be able to do anything about it.

If you own one, are familiar with it, and you know how it responds, you'll be fine, otherwise opt for a four wheel scooter or a larger, thus heavier and less likely to tip over, three wheel scooter.

Nope, only buses, monorails, ferries, and larger boats.

Well, that's a bummer!

But thank you for all the great information you've given me.

So how does one drive to the parks (except MK) with an ECV and get in?  I can imagine this would be a big problem for locals.

So how does one drive to the parks (except MK) with an ECV and get in?  I can imagine this would be a big problem for locals.

Not really. If they truly need to use a scooter, they can get a handicap card and park in handicap parking. It's close enough to ride the scooter to the entrances

How were you planning to get your rental scooter to the parking lot?

Not really. If they truly need to use a scooter, they can get a handicap card and park in handicap parking. It's close enough to ride the scooter to the entrances

How were you planning to get your rental scooter to the parking lot?

Well, I guess I won't  since I can't use the tram.  That was my plan.

My doctor wouldn't give me a handicap card yet.  I can still handle normal walking.  Just can't do 5+ miles a day any more.  But if my arthritis gets as much worse next year as it did this year, then maybe.

Lou does have some very good advice about 3-wheel vs. 4-wheel. I will say this, on a 4-wheel scooter, it is almost necessary to keep your knees perpendicular, flat footed on the "base" of the scooter. The "wheel wells" of the two front wheels are in such a position that stretching out your legs is difficult. If you do put your feet on the wheel wells, then your thigh is higher than 90 degrees.

On a large 3-wheel, the front wheel is in front of the center steering wheel post, and there is usually "foot base" on either side of the wheel, so you have some room to stretch out your legs.

Another point of food for thought.

Another tip. Take off the arms and put them up while you have the rental. In our experience, they just get in the way and are a pain. They are easily removed and replaced with a large plastic hand screw.

Hrumph.  Dollywood trams can take an ECV or wheelchair.

This is a good thread.  We have been using a manual wheelchair for Shawnee, but as he has grown and we have aged, we are considering a power chair for him.  He had one years ago, but his teachers didn't want to bother, so he never got proficient and went back to manual, which he is quite good at.  We will meet with his chair technician tomorrow on other chair matters and will ask if the power chair can be grown for him, or if we would need a new one.  We also have a six-wheel Jazzy that needs new batteries that might do for him.  Both chairs have joystick controls.  I'm expecting he would mostly need one when we travel, like WDW (long distances) and Dollywood.(hills).

Of course we might then need a larger trailer, but don't tell Judy yet.  hee-hee

Dollywood trams can take an ECV or wheelchair.

Dollywood's attendance numbers are tiny in comparison to MKs.

How long would it take to load and strap down a half dozen scooters or WCs?

Who would do it and what would be the reaction from the other riders.

Leave it as it is. It's not broken, no need to fix it.

SidewalkMapfrom700toOutpost.jpg

Great info already!  Thank you!

I thought the sidewalk ended at the four-way stop.  Very happy to hear I can ride all the way to the Outpost.

I am surprised you never noticed the sidewalk.  They installed new lighting all along it back in 2013.

I posted photos documenting things you can see along the way in this update to an old trip report: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9291-the-tcd-gang-runs-disney-2013-princess-half-marathon-weekend-tr/?p=256695

It's a nice walk (or in your case, ride).

TCD

Nope, only buses, monorails, ferries, and larger boats.

Well, that's a bummer!

But thank you for all the great information you've given me.

Last winter we visited the parks with friends who had an ECV but no handicapped card. Jack would tell the parking CM he needed to drop off the ECV and the CM would direct us to the handicapped parking lot. No problem.

Just a point to think about if you were to decide to Drive and take the ECV. will you have a vehicle that can easily load and unload it? Can you handle the weight of loading and loading. Depending on the models they can have a bit of weight and at the end of your park day when your tired especially getting it safely into a vehicle might be harder than you think. 

I am surprised you never noticed the sidewalk.  They installed new lighting all along it back in 2013.

I posted photos documenting things you can see along the way in this update to an old trip report: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9291-the-tcd-gang-runs-disney-2013-princess-half-marathon-weekend-tr/?p=256695

It's a nice walk (or in your case, ride).

TCD

Thanks for the link.  I checked it out.

Last winter we visited the parks with friends who had an ECV but no handicapped card. Jack would tell the parking CM he needed to drop off the ECV and the CM would direct us to the handicapped parking lot. No problem.

Good idea.  Thank you!

Just a point to think about if you were to decide to Drive and take the ECV. will you have a vehicle that can easily load and unload it? Can you handle the weight of loading and loading. Depending on the models they can have a bit of weight and at the end of your park day when your tired especially getting it safely into a vehicle might be harder than you think. 

The heaviest piece of the ECV I'm renting weighs 35 pounds.  I think DH and I can handle it together.  We usually rent an SUV, so that would make it easier.

The heaviest piece of the ECV I'm renting weighs 35 pounds.  I think DH and I can handle it together.  We usually rent an SUV, so that would make it easier.

Our friend's ECV broke down into about 4 or 5 parts. Once the battery was removed, the base with the wheels & motor was surprisingly easy to handle. Jack strapped it to a cargo platform mounted in the trailer hitch of his SUV.