wheelchair transportation

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple questions. My family of six ( one teen in a chair) will be staying at the cabins this November. I know there is an internal bus route, but was wondering if the buses were accessible? Also I was reading in another forum that it was easier to take the boat to contemporary and then walk to magic kingdom, In order to get there early. Do you know if those boats are accessible? I am trying to make this as easy on us as possible as he is paraplegic and has autism :). Also, any advice you can give us would be fantastic since this is our first trip to WDW.  Thanks in advance, Tamera.

Welcome!

The buses used for the internal bus routes at the Fort are the same buses used throughout WDW.  They can all accommodate guests in wheelchairs.

The boats used for the Wilderness Lodge-Contemporary Resort-Fort Wilderness loop are not wheelchair accessible.  The regular Magic Kingdom boat is.

I see you haven't been to WDW before,  are you familiar with the policies for guests with special needs?  I would suggest looking in to what accommodations can be made for the child in the wheelchair, and use those rather than trying to get to the park for rope drop. There have been recent changes in the policies, but I believe what you would need to request is called a Disability Access Service card (DAS). https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/dlr/help/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/Disney-Parks-Disability-Access-Service-Card-2014-04-10.pdf

TCD

Also I was reading in another forum that it was easier to take the boat to contemporary and then walk to magic kingdom, In order to get there early. Do you know if those boats are accessible?

IIRC, the person who asked had a really early reservation to make.  But you can get to MK in time for rope drop by taking the MK boat.  It is accessible.  The small boat to the Contemporary is not.

And welcome!

Thank you so much for the information :) Next question, If you don't mind. We have breakfast reservations at cape may (beach club resort) at 7:30 am.... then will be spending the day in Animal kingdom.... then we will be going back to cape May for dinner at 7:05 pm, leaving and returning from the cabins ( obviously ;) ) what will be the easiest transportation to and from the restaurant? I am assuming the buses? How much time should I give to get there on time? This is the only reservation outside of the parks that we made. Thank you again.

Cab or drive to Beach Club, Bus from Beach Club to Animal Kingdom, Bus back to Beach Club, Cab or drive back to the Fort. There are no Resort to Resort buses unfortunately. Should have added, if you have a car I would also drive to Animal Kingdom, accesible parking is right near the entrance.

We have put in our fast pass+ requests for the more popular rides in order to cut down on the wait time, and we are prepared to do the rider swap on the rides he can not go on. Has anyone ever used this feature before? Is it as convenient as they claim? More than likely my MIL will take the other two children first while we wait with my son, and then my husband and I will go while the rest wait.

If it were me, based on your travel party, I'd consider having breakfast at Trails end or at the park, rather than cabbing or taking two buses that early to get to the Beach Club.  It would be difficult IMO. 

If you are wanting to do a character breakfast and are spending the day at AK, maybe you could get into Tusker House instead?  There is direct bus access from the Fort, and you'd then be at the park ready to begin your day after dining.  Just a thought. 

If it were me, based on your travel party, I'd consider having breakfast at Trails end or at the park, rather than cabbing or taking two buses that early to get to the Beach Club.  It would be difficult IMO. 

If you are wanting to do a character breakfast and are spending the day at AK, maybe you could get into Tusker House instead?  There is direct bus access from the Fort, and you'd then be at the park ready to begin your day after dining.  Just a thought. 

I agree. What is drawing you to the Beach Club for breakfast? If it's characters, do Tusker House. It will be soooooooooooo much easier and less stressful.

If it's good food, do Trails End. IMO it's the best breakfast buffet in WDW. 

We were looking at doing the character breakfast. Although from the sounds of it, it will probably be less hassle to change our plans. Thanks for the input.... I have been worrying about that issue.

The interaction at Tusker House is good, and you get to meet Mickey, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy. It's a good meal. 

I agree. What is drawing you to the Beach Club for breakfast? If it's characters, do Tusker House. It will be soooooooooooo much easier and less stressful.

If it's good food, do Trails End. IMO it's the best breakfast buffet in WDW. 

The interaction at Tusker House is good, and you get to meet Mickey, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy. It's a good meal. 

Yes, it is good.  And when I was there the characters spent more time with guests than at many other character meals.

So....are you guys saying that, for just the 2nd time in 6 years, I have given someone good advice?? 

Problem is, It is already booked :(. I went ahead and changed it around and did rainforest café and then the restaurant at the campsites for dinner. No sense in adding any stress trying to get to cape may.  I'll keep my eyes open if tusker house should become available.

Try playing around with different party sizes....sometimes you can get a table and then hopefully change it. 

Keep checking, it took me 2 weeks of checking multiple times a day to get a breakfast at chef mickeys. What day are you looking for? I will look when I look to see if I find something I want to add for my trip.

I think swapping trails end for cape May cafe was a good idea. It's a lot of work to get there.

We will be at animal kingdom on 11/19. And for the record... I think you gave great advice ;). I have the other reservations booked - just in case... but I will keep checking back to tusker house.

First :welcome:

Second, we never let Dave know he gives good advice. Instead we always blame him. Remember no matter what it is:

Always Dave's Fault!