Cabins and newbie questions

I am considering renting a cabin next September for myself and my two girls, my mother in law, sister in law and niece.  We have 6 (obviously) and we want to accommodate us all in one space.  We also don't want to pay for more than one room.  We do want free dining if offered and therefore can't do Art of Animation because the suites are always excluded.  My family has a camper and we love camping and I have heard wonderful things about the campground!!!  Can we do a cabin without renting a golf cart?  We will probably drive to all the parks but Magic Kingdom and just take the bus to the ferry for Magic Kingdom. What information can you give me?  Thanks in advance!!!  

You will love Fort Wilderness!  Yes, you can do a cabin without renting a gold cart, although I would highly recommend renting a cart for a day.  Looping is so much fun.

You can take the internal Fort bus to the Settlement and catch the boat to the Magic Kingdom.

:wave1:

Welcome!

And now sit back and prepare for information!

We have never stayed in the cabins, but many here have and will be along soon, I'm sure.

We use our little camper trailer, and love the Fort.  We don't have or rent a golf cart, but it would be a neat thing to have.  Looping is more work when walking!  The buses etc are great, just remember you are on vacation, and camping.  Slow down and don't stress! 

Welcome!

We've got some cabin info stored on this page that might be helpful...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/cabins/cabins-overview-r93

There's also a bunch of general Fort Wilderness info, including maps, activities and things, that you can access from our Site Map page here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

We have stayed in the cabins a few times.  They are very comfortable.  The bedroom has a full size bed and a set of bunkbeds (which are great for the kids) and the living room has a murphy bed.  The kitchen is great for having meals in - full size fridge, microwave, dishwasher, stove, etc..  The bathroom is nice, but lines can form with 6 people......      The only crowded area for us was the dining table.  It is great for about 4 people, tight for 6.  We have never rented a cart either with cabins, tent, or camper, but I admit it would be nice for looping.  We don't need it for getting around to parks.    Just read signs before boarding buses (my pet peeve about people leaving their brains at home....). 

Enjoy your planning! 

Oh and :welcome2:

Welcome

A cart is nice to have depending on how much time you will be spending at the Fort but by no means a necessity.

The busses are very efficient, and if in doubt ask a buss driver or get on youll get someplace eventually.

If you plan to have a day just spent at the Fort, you may want to look into renting a cart for just one day (if the budget allows).

The busses are very efficient

Are you talking about the WDW buses?

and if in doubt ask a buss driver

That's bad advice. They're dumber than a box of rocks.

you'll get someplace eventually.

That's more like it.

If you put a gun to my head I'd tell you that the buses are OK, I guess. And a few, just a few, of the bus drivers might give you some good info.

Are you talking about the WDW buses?

That's bad advice. They're dumber than a box of rocks.

That's more like it.

If you put a gun to my head I'd tell you that the buses are OK, I guess. And a few, just a few, of the bus drivers might give you some good info.

What they are not all friendly, knowledgeable and helpful?

Was just talking about the Fort busses they aren't to bad.

Not every loop. There is one near the 2500/2600 loop (it's actually next to the pool), and there's also one on the 2100 camping loop that's relatively close to the 2200 cabin loop behind it.

You can see them noted as CS on the map below. Cabin loops are 2100-2800...

FortMap-New131113.jpg

Not every loop. There is one near the 2500/2600 loop (it's actually next to the pool), and there's also one on the 2100 camping loop that's relatively close to the 2200 cabin loop behind it.

You can see them noted as CS on the map below. Cabin loops are 2100-2800...

Just a FYI- the structure next to the cabin pool is just bathrooms and a laundry room.  No showers.

The only cabin loop with a true comfort station nearby is the 2100 loop, and the thread Carol linked shows which cabins are closest to that comfort station.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

I had six in a cabin and it was tight but doable. We wanted to make our own meals from time to time and having a full kitchen was essential. If you will have a car, you can grab your own groceries or, if not, have them delivered to the cabin for you. We had ours delivered and the perishables were in the fridge when we arrived. The rest were on the kitchen table. 

The deck and grill are nice additions.

We skipped the cart in favor of the busses. The hazing on our first ride was a bit much but endurable. On your first ride on the Fort busses, bring a change of clothes, a plucked raw chicken and have It's a Small World memorized. You should be fine.

For years we have stayed at the cabins, we switched to tents last fall and now a pop-up.  We always had 6 + people in them.  At some points we had 12 over for supper and hanging out.  Works out better with that many if the weather co-operates and you can use the picnic table on the deck and the dining room table inside.

It can be cramped with 6 but do-able.  The biggest issue is the one bathroom, but if everyone checks on the need of potty breaks before tying it up showering you should be ok.

The kitchen is a blessing, and a huge $$$$ saver. 

It's nice to be able to leave a mess in every room and come back to a spotless cabin.

We never rented carts.  We used busses, bikes, and walked.  There are a couple of shortcuts thru loops if you are trying to get to the meadow.

6 can fit in a cabin, but it isn't real comfortable.  The main issue is the murphy bed in the living room.  I do not know if it is the case in every cabin but ours was extremely uncomfortable.  There was such a sag in it the middle my wife and I could not sleep in it without ending up on top of each other....and not in the good way.  The beds in the small bedroom on the other end of the cabin were much more comfortable, but with your group's makeup (in laws, nieces) who might not feel comfortable in the same room, or same bed for that matter, it might be awkward.  And don't count on more than one person sleeping in that torture device of a murphy bed.  The kitchen was nice, and even though there is only 1 bath, the shower is good size and had great water pressure.

Nope.

Anyone can stay in them.  If they're available.  Never hurts to ask.

They even let the TCD gang stay in one once.

TCD

Thanks, we are thinking about a cabin this year in order to drive the car and make some side trips. That would be a great location.