What is the longest anyone has stayed at The Fort? What was good about long term? Did you work at Disney? Was there anything you didn't like? I am a podcaster and blogger at WDWmousenger.com and I also am writing a continuing column at another website all about Fort Wilderness and I was hoping some fiends could give me some input?

10 weeks for us, Jan-Mar and then again all of October. What is good about it, your at DISNEY, we have AP's, but only do the parks for a few hours in the am one or two days a week at most. There are even weeks we don't do a park. The atmosphere at the FORT is enough in itself, at least for us. Nope, not a CM. The only negative is the lack of rule enforcement, especially on weekends/holidays when the locals show up.

Welcome Rod!!

Feel free to ask any questions you like.  Between the lot of us, the Fiends have logged a LOT of time at the Fort, even the ones that haven't been there for extended stays.  These days there's almost always at least a Fiend or 2 (or 12) at the Fort throughout the year.  :)

Also in case it's helpful, we've got some Info pages where we store some of the most often asked about information about the Fort.  You can check them out on our Site Map page here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

What is the longest anyone has stayed at The Fort? What was good about long term? Did you work at Disney? Was there anything you didn't like? I am a podcaster and blogger at WDWmousenger.com and I also am writing a continuing column at another website all about Fort Wilderness and I was hoping some fiends could give me some input?

Welcome, Rod.

How about a link to your continuing column about Fort Wilderness?

TCD

I listen to your podcast, Rod. Really enjoy it. For those of you who are not familiar with it, it is WDWmousenger podcast.

10 weeks for us, Jan-Mar and then again all of October. What is good about it, your at DISNEY, we have AP's, but only do the parks for a few hours in the am one or two days a week at most.

We're you able to book that entire time in advance? I was once told you could only book so many weeks at a time and then had to rebook once you got there...which makes no sense to me. Are there extended stay discounts? The most I've stayed was 10 days during the summer.

Welcome  :wave1:

I'm sure other Fiends will be along shortly to comment on their (longer) stays.  Our stays are short (typically 5-10 nights), but we go often (our trip next month, will be our 5th in 12 months).  We love, love, love The Fort, but agree completely that management needs to do a MUCH better job with rule enforcement.  A big one with us, is (if they are going to have pet loops) keep pets in the pet loops and... the locals camping with 4 or 5 families at one campsite (plus allowing friends to stop by for the day, just to use the pool).

We're you able to book that entire time in advance? I was once told you could only book so many weeks at a time and then had to rebook once you got there...which makes no sense to me. Are there extended stay discounts? The most I've stayed was 10 days during the summer.

You can book 30 days at a time. No discount. 

You can book 30 days at a time. No discount. 

^THIS^

You can link multiple 30 day reservations together, but every 30 days you have to go "check out/back in" at the front desk.

There are a couple of private groups that do long term rentals over the winter that, because of the number of members they have, do get something of a discount, but you must be part of their group to get it.  One group I know keeps their membership at a limited number, which means no one new can join unless someone leaves.

Otherwise you pay the daily rate on your site - which means more on weekends, and a LOT more on holidays/peak times.

10 weeks for us, Jan-Mar and then again all of October. What is good about it, your at DISNEY, we have AP's, but only do the parks for a few hours in the am one or two days a week at most. There are even weeks we don't do a park. The atmosphere at the FORT is enough in itself, at least for us. Nope, not a CM. The only negative is the lack of rule enforcement, especially on weekends/holidays when the locals show up.

I arrive on Nov 2nd, looks like I will just miss you! Thanks for the info, my next month's column or the one right after focus in on long try stays. Looking forward to my 2 weeks coming up in Nov!

Welcome, Rod.

How about a link to your continuing column about Fort Wilderness?

TCD

Here is the link to my articles on mouseplanet.com:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=w&aid=73

Here's the link to a podcast show I did all about the history of Fort Wilderness:

http://wdwmousenger.com/wdwmousenger-podcast-episode-4/

I arrive on Nov 2nd, looks like I will just miss you! Thanks for the info, my next month's column or the one right after focus in on long try stays. Looking forward to my 2 weeks coming up in Nov!

Keep an eye out for Fort Fiends signs while you're there.  There should be at least a few of us floating around.  :)

^THIS^

You can link multiple 30 day reservations together, but every 30 days you have to go "check out/back in" at the front desk.

There are a couple of private groups that do long term rentals over the winter that, because of the number of members they have, do get something of a discount, but you must be part of their group to get it.  One group I know keeps their membership at a limited number, which means no one new can join unless someone leaves.

Otherwise you pay the daily rate on your site - which means more on weekends, and a LOT more on holidays/peak times.

Except you can usually get AAA. We will have to see what happens in Jan. The groups basically got AAA with the same rate on weekends, no fluctuation.

May or may not still be there. We have ressies through the 2nd, but may leave a day early since we are trading units right after we get home.

We will be there 8-12 of November !

Will just miss all of ya'll. Bummer! We arrive on Nov. 20th.

You could stay at the Fort indefinitely by continually making 30 day ressies and linking.  Hilda has been there for years and our own Devores was there for about a year and a half.  I never spent more than 3 months at one time.   Devores is a full time CM and I'm a seasonal.  We both felt that even w/ CM perks it cost to much for the long term.  

Don't get me wrong,,, I have been to a LOT of different places and met some really nice people but for two/four weeks there is nothing better then the Fort and the CMs that work there.  OH, most of the fiends are pretty damn nice also.    :mh1:  :doublebeer:

Yep. Spent a year and a half at the fort. Same site the whole time. Just got too expensive even with cm discount. I now use that money to go other places, like a cruise this month.

The fort is nice, but I checked the "live at fort wilderness" box and its time to check a few others.

Here is the link to my articles on mouseplanet.com:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=w&aid=73

Here's the link to a podcast show I did all about the history of Fort Wilderness:

http://wdwmousenger.com/wdwmousenger-podcast-episode-4/

Good job on the articles- very well written and accurate.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast, but I'm sure it's just as good.

TCD