BuckeyeFortFamily goin' on The Dream

We are going on a cruise.  A Disney cruise.  On The Dream.  Itinerary H.  4 nights, 2 days at Castaway Cay and 1 on the ship.  Kick ass.

We've never gone on a cruise.  We have wanted to but they are too expensive......especially since there are 6 of us, and 4 of us never pay for anything. 

But....we had to cancel our fall trip to FW due to work and during one of our frequent checks of the DCL site my wife found a 4 night cruise with 2 days at CC....so we took the plunge.  It is likely to be a once in a lifetime experience so I want to make the best of it.

So....we are looking for advice.  We are complete novices so any tips would be appreciated. 

We are flying into MCO the night before and taking a car service to Port Canaveral.  We are staying at the Hilton at PC and they have a shuttle to the ship which we will take in the morning.  Our boarding time is noon.  I have heard if we get there earlier we may be allowed to board earlier.  True?

Any tips for boarding?

What should we do after we get on the ship?

What should we take in our carry-on besides my bottle of Crown Royal?

We have thought we might take swim suits and make a bee line for the pool/Aqua Duck, but we also are considering just taking it easy and walking around the ship, familiarizing ourselves with its layout.

We are second seating for dinner, so I guess at some point we will be getting changed and going to see the show before dinner.  Any consideration to skipping the show and doing something else (slide, kids clubs, etc)?

What should we wear to dinner?  Our cruise info says we have no formal night, just a pirate night the last night.  So I guess that means the other 3 nights are "cruise casual"?  I have seen that shorts are now allowed.  I can take slacks and a jacket but if I don't have to....I don't want to.  But I also don't want everyone there to know what a backwards moron I am.  We ain't doin' none of them fancy-schmancy dinin' options, so I will leave my tux at home.

What should we do after dinner?  What time will we be done?  Apparently CM's will come get our kids after they are done eating and take them to their kids clubs if we like.  Are there other options for us as a family?  Or is this a good time for me and BFM to have a adult beverage and conversation?

The first morning we will be docking at CC, and I think we will just be going to the island and enjoying the beach and the water slides and ocean.  The kids aren't interested in snorkeling or any of the other excursions.  Maybe a bike ride....we will see.  Do we need to rent the inner tubes?  If so should we do the 2 day rental?

I know TCD prides himself on being the last back on the boat.  Any reason to go back early, assuming we are enjoying our time on CC?

I have read the sun is crazy powerful on CC.  We will be bring sun hats and swim shirts and sunscreen.  Any other recommendations there?

At this point it would seem the rest of the trip would only be repeats of the first day and a half.  The third day is on the ship returning to PC, and pirate night is that night.  The kids have costumes they will wear.  Any tips for the other days that don't apply to the first 2? 

The day we get off the ship seems pretty straight forward.....get up and get out.  We will head back to MCO and fly out later that day.  Any thing we should consider for that day?  I think you have breakfast on the ship, no?

I just realized this is a long post, and I apologize for that, so don't feel obligated to answer every question.  Any advice is appreciated, in relation to any aspect of the trip as we are big time novices here.

Thanks Fiends!

This is awesome news! You will love it. We've been on six DCL cruises, so I can give you my $.02.

I have heard if we get there earlier we may be allowed to board earlier. True?

Maybe. We have always had an earlier port arrival time, so we've always gotten there when the parking lots open. Every time, we've been able to check in right away. When you check in, they give you a boarding number. You board when they call your number. We have always boarded before noon.

Any tips for boarding?

If you get to the terminal early, you could go ahead and register your kids for the kids clubs in the terminal. They get special tracking bracelets. If the line isn't long for that, do it then. If the line is long, wait. You can do it one the ship later. Mickey and Minnie come out for photos in the terminal. You can get in the line in the center of the room and wait for them if you want. The line starts before they come out, so if you're there early you can get in line before others know what's happening.

What should we do after we get on the ship?

If you're among the first to board, the cabins won't be available for occupancy yet, so you want to go straight to lunch. There are two buffets to choose from. Same food. Go to the one up top by the pool and fill your plate and start eating.

What should we take in our carry-on besides my bottle of Crown Royal?

You can bring all the alcohol you want, so put something in there for BFM. And swimsuits for the kids.

We have thought we might take swim suits and make a bee line for the pool/Aqua Duck, but we also are considering just taking it easy and walking around the ship, familiarizing ourselves with its layout.

Either way is good. If the kids swim, you'll have wet suits and stuff to deal with. There are walking tours of the ship, and all of the kids areas of open houses. You might want to do that instead of swimming. Also, they let you in the cabins starting at 1 pm. Your luggage will start arriving around then too. This is a good time to get unpacked and get settled in the cabin.

We are second seating for dinner, so I guess at some point we will be getting changed and going to see the show before dinner. Any consideration to skipping the show and doing something else (slide, kids clubs, etc)?

You don't want to skip the shows. They are really good, and your kids will love them. Since we've seen them before, we skip them a lot now, but you shouldn't.

What should we wear to dinner? Our cruise info says we have no formal night, just a pirate night the last night. So I guess that means the other 3 nights are "cruise casual"? I have seen that shorts are now allowed. I can take slacks and a jacket but if I don't have to....I don't want to. But I also don't want everyone there to know what a backwards moron I am. We ain't doin' none of them fancy-schmancy dinin' options, so I will leave my tux at home.

Despite what Disney says in the cruise documents and their website, there really isn't a dress code. You can wear shorts to dinner if you want. Lots of people do. They are serious about the dress codes in Palo and Remy, but you probably don't want to go there.

What should we do after dinner? What time will we be done? Apparently CM's will come get our kids after they are done eating and take them to their kids clubs if we like. Are there other options for us as a family? Or is this a good time for me and BFM to have a adult beverage and conversation?

Dinner takes a long time. There are lots of courses. There are things to do after dinner-we like to hit the pools late. With the late seating, you're going to be pretty tired after dinner. On pirate night, you will be heading up top to see the show and fireworks.

The first morning we will be docking at CC, and I think we will just be going to the island and enjoying the beach and the water slides and ocean. The kids aren't interested in snorkeling or any of the other excursions. Maybe a bike ride....we will see. Do we need to rent the inner tubes? If so should we do the 2 day rental?

We always rent bikes. That's a good deal. You can keep them longer than the hour, and no extra charge. I never rent the tubes, but if you're not snorkeling, they might be fun for your kids. Don't do the package rental- you won't use all the stuff. No time

I know TCD prides himself on being the last back on the boat. Any reason to go back early, assuming we are enjoying our time on CC?

You got that right. They say the ship is way less crowded on CC days- which I believe. But, I don't know because I'm too busy being the last one on the island.

I have read the sun is crazy powerful on CC. We will be bring sun hats and swim shirts and sunscreen. Any other recommendations there?

When are you going? Soon? I didn't find the sun any stronger there than it is in Florida. But definitely use sunscreen.

At this point it would seem the rest of the trip would only be repeats of the first day and a half. The third day is on the ship returning to PC, and pirate night is that night. The kids have costumes they will wear. Any tips for the other days that don't apply to the first 2?

Sea days are fun! I'm sure there will be lots of activities scheduled. Go to them. DCL does a great job with all of them.

The day we get off the ship seems pretty straight forward.....get up and get out. We will head back to MCO and fly out later that day. Any thing we should consider for that day? I think you have breakfast on the ship, no?

Yes there's breakfast. But it's early. They'll tell you when you have to report. What they don't tell you is that the buffet is open too. Go there. Much less hectic.

I just realized this is a long post, and I apologize for that, so don't feel obligated to answer every question. Any advice is appreciated, in relation to any aspect of the trip as we are big time novices here.

You're going to love it.

Best advice I can give you is to go with the flow.

TCD

We are going on a cruise. When?

What should we do after we get on the ship? Eat, eat, eat, and let the good times begin.

What should we take in our carry-on besides my bottle of Crown Royal? Wine, if it's something you enjoy.

We are second seating for dinner, so I guess at some point we will be getting changed and going to see the show before dinner. Correct

I can take slacks and a jacket but if I don't have to....I don't want to. I prefer slacks during the evening and always bring a light jacket or sweatshirt just in case.

I will leave my tux at home. Good idea.

What should we do after dinner?  Are there other options for us as a family? Or is this a good time for me and BFM to have a adult beverage and conversation? Plenty of things to do in the lounges after dinner.

I know TCD prides himself on being the last back on the boat.  Any reason to go back early, assuming we are enjoying our time on CC? Nope

I have read the sun is crazy powerful on CC.  We will be bring sun hats and swim shirts and sunscreen.  Any other recommendations there? Reserve a cabana.

I think you have breakfast on the ship, no? Yes, it's a good time to say goodbye to your servers which have become your friends and have been with you for your entire cruise. If it was a fun cruise, it'll be a sad day. 

Personally I'd bring the suits in the carry on for the Aqua Duck, as you'll find that later in the cruise the lines are long.  But that first couple hours on the ship you can get in a LOT of rides. 

And bring some small bills for tipping the room service stewards (if you plan on tipping them).  The automatic tips do not include them, I don't believe, so we tipped a few bucks each time we ordered coffee or Mickey bars. 

Speaking of coffee, if you want it first thing when you wake up, consider ordering it before going to bed the night before, especially if you are ordering late night cookies and milk and mickey bars.  It comes in a thermal caraffe and will still be hot in the morning. 

Definitely do not skip the shows on a Disney cruise!  I'd not feel as strongly about skipping them if you were cruising RCCL, but on DCL they are amazing. 

Have fun! 

In regards to tipping......

I considered slipping the steward? and our server a nice tip at the beginning of the cruise....try to gain us a little extra attention from the beginning.  Cool or douche baggy?

And some tips are automatic (steward, server) and others not (room service, bartenders), right?  I have heard these are "cashless" ships.  Everything is put on your room key and all the non-automatic tipped services have a 15% gratuity added to the bill.  Is that correct and if so would you still tip the room service folks and others at the time of service?

The servers on DCL are awesome. I don't see a need to slip them extra cash up front, but be sure to take care of them at the end. DCL charges the suggested tip amount to your credit card on the last night of your cruise.  You can add to this amount if you wish. This is for the cabin steward, your head server, you assistant server and the head waiter in the dining room.

There is a service charge added at all the bars- you have to sign a slip so you can add more of a tip if you wish.

Room service is FREE, so no tip is added- that's why you want to bring a stack of ones.

TCD