Is it the best idea to make campground reservations when planning any trip? Plan to leave on Nov 1 which seems to confict with a min 2 night stay/charge for Halloween weekend. Reservation cancel policy at CGs SMB.

Anyone stay over night at Pilot/flying J. Is there room for slides out? Anyone using Pilot/ FJ app?

We overnight at Flying J's often.  It's a matter of courtesy NOT to put your slides out.  People are walking around the lot all day/night.  I'd hate to have someone get hurt bumping into mine.

Unfortunately for John he cant get into the truck camper if he doesnt put the back slide out at least. 

I had this dilemma over the Fourth of July, everyone had three night minimums if you wanted to book in advance.  I did some research and found some campgrounds that I wanted to stay at and then the day of I called while on the road and they let us do a one night stay.

Actually I just remembered a state campground in Mississippi let us do the same thing on our over Easter weekend.  I called directly the day before arrival and they let us do a one night stay no problem.

We haven't slept at a Flying J yet but I've thought about it, only problem is the truck noise all night long.

WBI

We stay overnight at them just about every trip - well more like pull in at 2-4am and sleep until 9-10 ish.

We usually scoot our bunk slide out just a couple of feet so we can get the dogs in/out of their crates and open the bedroom door.

One time we lucked into a spot that was on the end next to a grassy area, so we put it all the way out.

Some of the ones we've stopped at along 95 have designated spots for campers, but in most of the ones we've stayed at we've been right in next to the trucks - either because the camper spots were full or because there weren't any.

Unfortunately for John he cant get into the truck camper if he doesnt put the back slide out at least. 

You should be okay with a back slide.

We stay overnight at them just about every trip - well more like pull in at 2-4am and sleep until 9-10 ish.

We usually scoot our bunk slide out just a couple of feet so we can get the dogs in/out of their crates and open the bedroom door.

One time we lucked into a spot that was on the end next to a grassy area, so we put it all the way out.

Some of the ones we've stopped at along 95 have designated spots for campers, but in most of the ones we've stayed at we've been right in next to the trucks - either because the camper spots were full or because there weren't any.

It's quieter if you can get in a spot in the RV area.  Less generators running.  When we pulled the car hauler we had to go to the truck area because of our length.

As Mo said, if you can park with your slides facing a grassy area, you're okay.

We used to stay at Walmarts, and it was fine.  The ones we stayed at were well lit and we felt secure enough.

Biggest problem was finding one close enough to the highway when we were ready to pull off.

For us, we want to get off the highway, take a nap, and get right back on.

When I do stay overnight with the camper, I usually stay at a KOA on the highway. Haven't gotten brave enough yet to try Flying J or Wal-Mart.

When we had the camper we weren't brave enough to stay at a FJ either,  We feel safe in the moho.

We have stayed overnight at several of the Flying J's along I-95. As others have said, they usually have designated RV/camper parking although on busy travel days those spots get taken by late afternoon!  I have seen campers along the grass put their slides out w/o any issues, but I wouldn't do it if it was over pavement for fear someone might leave or pull in after dark and hit it, there is not much room to spare......

Also bring your ear plugs, the FJ's are busy at all hours and it's not the quietest place. Having said that, after driving all day I have had few problems falling asleep! :lol:

If you google overnight RV parking, there is a web site and a couple of newsgroups that try and keep an up-to-date list of all the Walmarts, Flying J's, Crackerbarrels, etc that allow you to stop overnight.  There are still a bunch in Fla that allow it, especially away from the tourist areas.

Also bring your ear plugs, the FJ's are busy at all hours and it's not the quietest place. Having said that, after driving all day I have had few problems falling asleep! :lol:

Good point about the ear plugs!  I'm with you though... usually we're pulling in during the wee hours and I've driven about 700 miles.  There could be a brass band playing outside the TT and I'd still be out like a light!

Can't stay in Wal Mart lots in FL for some reason.

County ordinances.  Most (if not all) the counties around WDW prohibit it.

I saw people staying at the Walmart in Clermont. Here is probably the best Walmart parking resource:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point about the ear plugs!  I'm with you though... usually we're pulling in during the wee hours and I've driven about 700 miles.  There could be a brass band playing outside the TT and I'd still be out like a light!

Ha! exactly.  The extra noise in the AM does wake me up earlier than I would otherwise, but that's ok since it gets us on our way quicker, which is one of the reasons for staying there instead of a campground....

I have been wondering if Pilot (who now owns Flying J) would start closing or altering the FJ lots, since the Pilot's we have stopped at were not RV friendly at all, but so far they seem to have let them continue on as usual.

I saw people staying at the Walmart in Clermont. Here is probably the best Walmart parking resource:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Walmarts on Rt 27 in Clermont prohibit overnight parking due to county law.  They used to allow it, but in the winter, we would have trouble driving the lot to get to a spot to park our car due to so many RVs parking there longer term.  Unfortunately, it was abused enough that the law was enacted.  Didn't bother me at the time since I live near there, but in the big picture it really spolied it for a lot of people who just needed a place to stop for a rest.