We spend a week in April at the Fort in our trailer, but we are also going to be in central FL this year the week before Christmas in a car. Is it possible to park in the lot by the gate, catch the buses to Trails End for lunch and see the Christmas decorations, etc? Also if this works, is it also possible to walk up and rent a golf cart for the day without being a "guest"?

Thanks

We've done that... ate at Trail's End and rented a golf cart so we could spend the day at the Fort (pony rides, rented a boat, drove the loops, playground, etc).   I agree with Mo on the golf cart... busy time of the year so making a reservation is a really good idea.

The week before Christmas is likely to be a time when they restrict access to the parking lot.  Only registered guests, and guests with dining reservations will be allowed in.  If you're going to eat, then make a reservation, and you should be fine.  Without the dining reservation, there's a good chance you will be directed to turn around and leave.  If that happens, you can always park at one of the theme parks or Downtown Disney and use Disney Transportation to get to the Fort.

TCD

The week before Christmas is likely to be a time when they restrict access to the parking lot.  Only registered guests, and guests with dining reservations will be allowed in.  If you're going to eat, then make a reservation, and you should be fine.  Without the dining reservation, there's a good chance you will be directed to turn around and leave.  If that happens, you can always park at one of the theme parks or Downtown Disney and use Disney Transportation to get to the Fort.

TCD

What TCD said.  :)

That all sounds great as long as you don't:

1. Don't lie about a reservation at TE just to park in the overflow lot

2. Get all your pool inflatables out of your car

3. Catch a bus with all your pool gear and spend the day at the pool

I think that would categorize you close to a local freeloader. Renting a cart with not being a registered guest I think is walking a fine line also since that one family who traveled hundreds of miles to camp at the fort and then be told they have no rentals for that day is not fair. Just my 2 cents

• 4 weeks later...

I would not count on getting in the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  A lot of the locals check out and park in the lot then finish off their stay doing whatever and leave Sunday night.  They usually have people parking in the grass inside the campground on holiday weekend checkout day.IMAG1058.jpg

I would not count on getting in the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  A lot of the locals check out and park in the lot then finish off their stay doing whatever and leave Sunday night.  They usually have people parking in the grass inside the campground on holiday weekend checkout day.

Agreed.  The Sunday after a holiday would be one of the worst days to show up and hope to park in the overflow lot.

TCD

That all sounds great as long as you don't:

1. Don't lie about a reservation at TE just to park in the overflow lot

2. Get all your pool inflatables out of your car

3. Catch a bus with all your pool gear and spend the day at the pool

I think that would categorize you close to a local freeloader. Renting a cart with not being a registered guest I think is walking a fine line also since that one family who traveled hundreds of miles to camp at the fort and then be told they have no rentals for that day is not fair. Just my 2 cents

On Friday (11/14), we had breakfast reservations at Trails End.  I pulled in, expecting the normal procedure of telling them I had a reservation and them just waving me in.  I was pleasantly surprised that the guard took my name and checked it on the list of reservations.  They also had the normal sign up about restricted parking, but was glad to see they actually checked for the reservation this time.  Hopefully they are starting to crack down a bit, although who knows if they will be consistent on this.

Even though I live in the area, I cannot stand seeing people doing exactly what you stated, getting their pool stuff out of their cars, getting on the bus and heading to the pool.  It really bothers me when we are staying there and see the packed pool on weekdays with huge picnic "facilities" set up on all the picnic areas.  My wife and I tend to go to the quiet pool in the mornings now (when we are staying at the fort) to get away from the crowd.  The last time we went in October, I received a survey for the Fort and specifically added comments about people being there who were not guests.  Hopefully others have as well.

On Friday (11/14), we had breakfast reservations at Trails End.  I pulled in, expecting the normal procedure of telling them I had a reservation and them just waving me in.  I was pleasantly surprised that the guard took my name and checked it on the list of reservations.  They also had the normal sign up about restricted parking, but was glad to see they actually checked for the reservation this time.  Hopefully they are starting to crack down a bit, although who knows if they will be consistent on this.

We've been to Trail's End for breakfast a couple of times in the past few months while staying in another resort, or, in one recent case, just visiting for the day. Both times I made a reservation, and both times, the guard at the guard shack scanned my Magic Band, and was able to confirm my reservation. I know she was able to see the actual reservation, as one time I was alone in my car and she saw that I had a party of three and asked where the other two guests were. This was a time I was meeting my daughters there, and they were in the car right behind me.

Even though I live in the area, I cannot stand seeing people doing exactly what you stated, getting their pool stuff out of their cars, getting on the bus and heading to the pool.  It really bothers me when we are staying there and see the packed pool on weekdays with huge picnic "facilities" set up on all the picnic areas.  My wife and I tend to go to the quiet pool in the mornings now (when we are staying at the fort) to get away from the crowd.  The last time we went in October, I received a survey for the Fort and specifically added comments about people being there who were not guests.  Hopefully others have as well.

Good luck with that.

It's been going on for years, and the idiots in charge have made no effort to stop it.

THEY DON'T CARE.

Freeloaders don't cost them any money. And money is all they care about.

TCD

We've been to Trail's End for breakfast a couple of times in the past few months while staying in another resort, or, in one recent case, just visiting for the day. Both times I made a reservation, and both times, the guard at the guard shack scanned my Magic Band, and was able to confirm my reservation. I know she was able to see the actual reservation, as one time I was alone in my car and she saw that I had a party of three and asked where the other two guests were. This was a time I was meeting my daughters there, and they were in the car right behind me.

True, when I have had a Magic Band, they scan that.  However this was the first time, without a Magic Band, that they actually checked the list for reservations like they do at the Contemporary.  Normally, at Fort Wilderness they just take your word for it and wave you in.