Attn: Crafty People - How Would You Do This?

We plan on doing this project after our Christmas trip. I plan on cutting out vinyl decals to use as stencils.

Looking forward to seeing it!

I ran out of time to start this before vacation (getting the bathroom finished was the first priority), but it's on the list for a winter project.

• 1 year later...

Thanks... I was wondering (if you had done it) how it had turned out.  I am trying to do this, on a desk for our daughter... but learned that stencils will not work (the lines are not clean enough).  I guess vinyl is the only way to go.

Good to know.  Love to see what you end up with when you're finished!

Thanks... I was wondering (if you had done it) how it had turned out.  I am trying to do this, on a desk for our daughter... but learned that stencils will not work (the lines are not clean enough).  I guess vinyl is the only way to go.

Find a local sign shop and take them a picture of what you want. I bet they'd be able to assist with making this happen.

If you can find the fonts you want, there used to be paper you could purchase at good art supply shops called Frisket(friskat).

It has a light tacky backing sort of like a post it, but it covered the entire back.

You would cut out your design, then lay the paper onto what ever you wanted to stencil.  Most people used Xacto knives

It would seal tight to a surface and allow you to spray. sponge, roll, brush paint onto the surface with a sharp clean line after the paper was peeled.

This was around back in the 70's, but good stuff either sticks around, or comes back around.

If you can find the fonts you want, there used to be paper you could purchase at good art supply shops called Frisket(friskat).

It has a light tacky backing sort of like a post it, but it covered the entire back.

You would cut out your design, then lay the paper onto what ever you wanted to stencil.  Most people used Xacto knives

It would seal tight to a surface and allow you to spray. sponge, roll, brush paint onto the surface with a sharp clean line after the paper was peeled.

This was around back in the 70's, but good stuff either sticks around, or comes back around.

Thanks.  Some of the vendors on Etsy, are not too terribly expensive... so that may be the easier way to go.  Then again... I did already buy (and open) the stencils  :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know its been a while since anyone commented here - but if I were doing this, I would print the words on paper first. Then use white chalk and rub it on the back of the words. Hold the paper up to your piece where you want the words to be. When you use a pencil to outline the words, the chalk will get transferred to the piece. Take your white paint and fill in the chalk lines. Once its dry a damp rag would remove an chalk that got where it shouldn't have. I've done this on walls, plaques, etc. and it works well. You have lots of words, so it will be labor intensive - but cheaper than some of your other options.

Good luck, it looks like an awesome piece and I may need to steal the idea!

8 hours ago, ReneeK said:

I know its been a while since anyone commented here - but if I were doing this, I would print the words on paper first. Then use white chalk and rub it on the back of the words. Hold the paper up to your piece where you want the words to be. When you use a pencil to outline the words, the chalk will get transferred to the piece. Take your white paint and fill in the chalk lines. Once its dry a damp rag would remove an chalk that got where it shouldn't have. I've done this on walls, plaques, etc. and it works well. You have lots of words, so it will be labor intensive - but cheaper than some of your other options.

Welcome ReneeK!!

This is a simple plan, I like it.  And I like that your first post is a helping post too ReneeK. B)

HEY MO  how is the status of the chest?

Had to go to the beginning of this thread to remind myself what the question was :lol: A lot of good ideas here, but this seems pretty simple.  A steady hand would be needed, I'm thinking.

On 7/3/2016 at 10:46 PM, ReneeK said:

Great tip!  Thanks and WELCOME!

Sadly my project is still on "the list" so if you do get to try this out, please post pics.  :)