• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, all, to my latest trip report.  It will start slowly and take some time to complete, but eventually we will get to the end.   First of all, thank you for reading along and especially for commen

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 1   It was still raining this morning, so I changed our FP+s to the afternoon.  Went to the Trading Post and purchased our refillable mugs.  I

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 2   Our next FP was for BTMRR.             Is that ride getting rougher, or are we just getting older and more sensitive?   As we left th

I am anxious to see how the lenses compared to each other. A good lens definitely makes or breaks a camera.

Agreed on the good lens.  Although I'm comparing a $1,200  zoom lens to a $400 prime lens.  Even that being said, operator error makes a huge difference.  I will reveal my huge error later.

I'm in - and I really like the photography.  I was the photographer for our yearbook "last century" and realize the importance of a high quality lens.  There is always a better one for a few hundred dollars more that I wanted to get.  Luckily, I had a grandfather who helped fund my passion for photography and I still have those film cameras.

I like your attention to details and the way you frame the subject.  This is going to be a great TR.

Sorry about the RV problems, but a bad day at WDW is still better than a decent day anywhere else!

I'm in - and I really like the photography.  I was the photographer for our yearbook "last century" and realize the importance of a high quality lens.  There is always a better one for a few hundred dollars more that I wanted to get.  Luckily, I had a grandfather who helped fund my passion for photography and I still have those film cameras.

I like your attention to details and the way you frame the subject.  This is going to be a great TR.

Sorry about the RV problems, but a bad day at WDW is still better than a decent day anywhere else!

Wow, what a generous grandfather!  My film camera finally died, and I went several years without a good camera.  Really enjoying this one.

Hope I don't disappoint you on the TR!

I love your BOG photos! Sorry David's lunch was a disappointment.

That dog sign is cute!

The dog sign was double-sided.  It took someone a long time to make!  It looked like it was made of Foam-Cor board, but I can't imagine that holding up too well in the weather.

I agree with everyone, your pictures are fantastic.

We were at BOG last week and even with our fast passes it took about 45 minutes from getting in line until we sat down. Not very magical :(

Thanks.  No, the FPs for BOG aren't very magical.  It took us at least 30 minutes to get seated, probably 45 til we got our food.

A little late but I am in!  

A side note on love bugs - they are easily removed from your car by using a wet dryer sheet such as Bounce. They are such a nuisance. You should see them after a hurricane.

I was shocked about the love bugs in SC.  I thought they were only in FL.  Yes, a wet Bounce sheet works great.

I'm in a caught up.

Was it noisy at FJ?

Sorry to hear about your bumpy start.

What is that hitch called that your towing DeeDee with?

Nothing better than seeing the castle.

Great pix.

FJ is noisy, but we ran the generator most of the night so it didn't bother us.

The platform DeeDee is sitting on is a Mighty Hauler.  It is welded directly to Dolly's frame and allows us to flat tow a car behind it.  We wanted to get a HydraLift, but our golf cart weighed too much.

By the way do you or anybody know when they are going to finish all that construction?

I don't know, but I think I remember a thread about it awhile back.  Haven't had time to find the thread.  I'll be happy to see it completed.  Right now all the fences really detract from the aesthetics of the area.

That's a nice lens! Jason's current go to is a 18-135mm. He has lens envy. I always enjoy your pictures. 

We've had our share of RV issues, but it's still my favorite way to travel. 

Thanks, Kelly.  Tell Jason not to envy my lens.  18-135mm is a good range.  My camera and lens together weigh almost six pounds.  That's a lot of weight to carry around all day.  Thankfully I found a Joby strap that allows me to wear it crossbody and, when I extend the strap all the way, I can carry my camera comfortably by the grip with no worry about dropping it.  So a little weight on my shoulder and a little weight on my hand.  Strap makes it manageable.

We've been RV'ing for 28 years.  I get the heebie jeebies when I have to stay in a hotel!

Hey Gwen, Dee-Wayne checking in and will be along for the ride.  It was really good to see you again, and to finally meet David.  I hate we didn't catch each other while we were there.  Also sorry that I couldn't help you guys get your propane or water issues solved.  But, hey, who needs water or flame, you were at one of the best places around!

Leaving SC:

_DSC3281_zps915895a8.jpg

We drove straight through Jacksonville with no problem -- except that I shut my eyes over the high bridge.

I will always remember this spot… Several years ago when we had our 5th wheel, we had a tire blow out on the way to the Fort at this very spot.  The biting flys and mosquitoes just about carried me away while I tried to change the tire.

​Don't you just love that bridge?  I think crossing that thing is the highlight of the drive down…  I especially like to drive near the edge so I can look over… Claudine won't even open her eyes until we get to the other side.

Hey Gwen, Dee-Wayne checking in and will be along for the ride.  It was really good to see you again, and to finally meet David.  I hate we didn't catch each other while we were there.  Also sorry that I couldn't help you guys get your propane or water issues solved.  But, hey, who needs water or flame, you were at one of the best places around!

It was good to finally meet Claudine too!  You were so nice to try and help.  We really appreciated it.

I will always remember this spot… Several years ago when we had our 5th wheel, we had a tire blow out on the way to the Fort at this very spot.  The biting flys and mosquitoes just about carried me away while I tried to change the tire.

Ouch!

​Don't you just love that bridge?  I think crossing that thing is the highlight of the drive down…  I especially like to drive near the edge so I can look over… Claudine won't even open her eyes until we get to the other side.

I'm with Claudine!

Wednesday, October 15 -- The Day the Rain Stopped -- Part 2

Our next FP was for BTMRR.

_DSC3390_zps5300618c.jpg

_DSC3391copy_zpse643bf80.jpg

_DSC3392copy_zpse2110284.jpg

_DSC3394_zps522b1d21.jpg

_DSC3401_zps599c2d51.jpg

Is that ride getting rougher, or are we just getting older and more sensitive?

As we left the BTMRR area, we saw glimpses of the FoF parade in the distance.  Just enough to make me excited to see all of it.

We shopped in the Emporium for awhile.

_DSC3416_zps968f1280.jpg

Neither of us found any clothing we were interested in.  That's unusual.  As we were leaving the Emporium we again saw a little of FoF:

_DSC3419_zps943b5776.jpg

_DSC3421_zps3ef59ae9.jpg

_DSC3424_zps0b5381d0.jpg

On the way back to the fort, success!

_DSC3425_zps7168d9f9.jpg

But I can do better than that.  I'll keep trying.

David had told me the day before that he saw something that looked like a Loch Ness Monster in the canal beside the dog walk.  So I rode my trusted scooter down to check it out:

_DSC3428_zps4ca987bc.jpg

Really, David ?!?

_DSC3431_zps8b4cbbc4.jpg

It's our tradition to take Kassie on a buggy ride as soon as she gets back from her afternoon potty break.  She knows the drill, does her business quickly, and hops on the cart to wait for us.

_DSC3433_zps3b3bb43a.jpg

_DSC3438_zps0e90db63.jpg

We visited with Dave and Linda for awhile and then came back to Dolly to cook dinner.

I'm in!  Man I'm late!

LOVE the pictures.  The neighbor's sign (pet/Mickey) I saw that too...cute stuff :)

It was really, really nice meeting you.  Looking forward to the next time!

We've been RV'ing for 28 years.  I get the heebie jeebies when I have to stay in a hotel!

We've only have our little camper one season but this right here is why....the idea of being where someone (whom I don't know, with Lord only knows what sickness) was the night before.  Yuck!!  :wacko:

I'm in!  Man I'm late!

LOVE the pictures.  The neighbor's sign (pet/Mickey) I saw that too...cute stuff :)

It was really, really nice meeting you.  Looking forward to the next time!

We've only have our little camper one season but this right here is why....the idea of being where someone (whom I don't know, with Lord only knows what sickness) was the night before.  Yuck!!  :wacko:

It was great meeting you too! 

I liked the pictures of the dragon....very nice details that I haven't seen before.  

I also like the last shot of the wagon.  Ahh....6 more weeks and I'll be seeing that myself.  

I have many more dragon pictures coming up later.  Hope you enjoy them.

The wagon shot was my favorite in that bunch! 

Thanks, Kelly!

Thursday, October 16 -- The Day I Got Lost

I cooked breakfast, ate, got dressed, and settled in to wait for David to be ready to go.

Artsy shot while I was waiting:

_DSC3447_zpsa0b4b389.jpg

By mid-morning he was ready to head out to DHS.  I took my new f/1.4 50mm prime lens with me today and was excited to try it out.  A prime lens is a fixed focused length lens.  It doesn't zoom.  If you want to zoom in or out, you have to physically move yourself.  It can be a pain at times, but the results can be very worthwhile.

Our first FP was for an attraction that I was really hoping to get some great shots in.  Anyone recognize it?

_DSC3451_zps6f69fa9d.jpg

How about now?

_DSC3452_zps6b0472cb.jpg

Most of you have probably figured it out, but just in case it's the Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

I happily started snapping pictures:

_DSC3453_zps572dfc13.jpg

_DSC3454_zps5782d011.jpg

_DSC3455_zps799b2e33.jpg

And then a cast member asked me to stop.  It seems my camera has some sensor on it that emits a small light.  Bummer.

Afterwards we walked around for awhile.

_DSC3457_zps4a791c57.jpg

And then it was time for our FPs to TSM.

_DSC3460_zps0ad1ecf2.jpg

Here's a good example of where it's not good to have a prime lens.  I couldn't move far enough back.

_DSC3464_zps855c1615.jpg

_DSC3468_zpsb145e08a.jpg

_DSC3469_zps3d5ff6cd.jpg

_DSC3472_zpsdbf2441d.jpg

_DSC3474_zpsf5e0ed91.jpg

And then we wandered into:

_DSC3483_zps8fb5963b.jpg

_DSC3484_zps78181117.jpg

_DSC3486_zpsd89a4f08.jpg

The place was PACKED!  So we wandered on.

_DSC3492_zps4379b36d.jpg

_DSC3493_zpsd2d0a342.jpg

Can you tell what a beautiful day it was?  Can you just feel the warmth?  I'd like to have some of it right now.

_DSC3494_zpsf6d0ee44.jpg

_DSC3495_zpsb1fa1b64.jpg

_DSC3496_zps9c5a23b5.jpg

We stopped for a snack.  I got popcorn, and David got a pretzel.  I obviously haven't trained him as well as Ray has trained his DD.  David rarely waits for me to take a picture.

_DSC3498_zps6e41ad48.jpg

We walked around some more.

_DSC3499_zpsc26bdbd4.jpg

And watched some street performers.

_DSC3501_zps4f2b6def.jpg

And then went back to the fort. 

Whenever we took a bus to a park, David would break down my ECV (nicknamed Dottie) in the mornings and take it to the Outpost for me.  Then I would ride it back to Dolly in the afternoon so he didn't have to bother with it.

The ride is very pleasant.  Here are some pics of behind the hitch/unhitch area.

_DSC3502_zps20d9a0c1.jpg

_DSC3503_zps334e170b.jpg

_DSC3504_zps41ff677f.jpg

Okay, I have a confession to make here.  I have a terrible sense of direction.  Despite thinking I understood TCD's and Carol's directions, I got lost.  I took a wrong turn at the four-way stop and ended up going the long way around.  So long that David was calling me wondering where in the world I was. 

So several days later after I had successfully made it to the 700 loop and really understood how to go, I took pictures of all the turns.  Will post them later in case anyone is interested.

For the first time ever, we left the rugs and chairs out under the awning the entire trip.  And this was our first time using our new rope lights.  They were great!

_DSC3518_zps825b4bd9.jpg

We took Kassie looping for awhile and then came home to Dolly and had Steph's Buffalo Chicken for dinner.