Inverter generator repair question

I have a Generac i2000 generator that we purchased to use while dry camping.  We used it only one season, maybe a little the second season.

It stayed in our garage near the snowblower, and I would start it a few times during the winter to keep it from sitting dormant.  However, I did not know to put an electric "load" on the generator at least once per month while it was running.

Come May, while getting ready for the summer camp season, I fired it up and tested it with a load (power drill).  It had been running fine, but as soon as I tried drawing electricity with the drill it stalled the generator and some smoke came out.

Is this a death sentence for the generator, or do you think it might be worth repairing?  Anyone else do this?  I only paid about $450-$500 at our local hardware store, so I am thinking the cost of repair vs. throw away is a pretty thin margin. It was a very quiet generator and did a great job of topping off the batteries during the day while not bothering our neighbors.

In May, before you started it did you add oil to it?

When you put it under load the oil pressure increases and and the overfill might be the smoke your seeing. Check the oil if it's high or overfilled drain a little out and try again.

Also. On my FIL's houseboat, every spring, I have to fire it up and let it run for about 1/2 - 1 hour before it will take a load.