So, we have been to the Fort 2 times now and it seems every time I drive in and then out we have wound up traveling different ways. One time I remember driving out through some of the service areas......

So we are traveling down I-75 and usually hit the Florida turnpike. How would the fiends recommend I go after that? I remember driving in through the Magic Kingdom gates and prefer that option. I don't drive around Disney at all once we are there so my understanding of the streets is limited.

Any help would be appreciated.

tim

The main entrance is east off of 192, and the road also extends south west to an exit off of I-4.

Not sure about the Turnpike, since we live in Tampa we use I-4 or some back roads and we usually come in the back service roads if we aren't towing the pop up.

If you use Google maps you can see the Disney internal roads.  At one time they used to give out maps of all the roads on the property.  Not sure if they still have them.  You could ask at check in for one.

I take the western beltway (hwy429) off the turnpike at exit 267a going south to exit 8 western way. Take western way to Buena Vista drive. Take a left on Buena Vista and then take a left on World Drive. This puts you in the main gate. Be sure to stay as far right as you can at the welcome booths so you can turn right on Vista Blvd to the Fort.

I take the western beltway (hwy429) off the turnpike at exit 267a going south to exit 8 western way. Take western way to Buena Vista drive. Take a left on Buena Vista and then take a left on World Drive. This puts you in the main gate. Be sure to stay as far right as you can at the welcome booths so you can turn right on Vista Blvd to the Fort.

That's how we go as well, highly recommend it. Exit 8 is Western Way/Harzog Rd.

So, we have been to the Fort 2 times now and it seems every time I drive in and then out we have wound up traveling different ways. One time I remember driving out through some of the service areas......

So we are traveling down I-75 and usually hit the Florida turnpike. How would the fiends recommend I go after that? I remember driving in through the Magic Kingdom gates and prefer that option. I don't drive around Disney at all once we are there so my understanding of the streets is limited.

Any help would be appreciated.

tim

We just did this trip over Thanksgiving from NW Georgia.  Just follow I-75 to the Fla Turnpike.  Once on the turnpike you will take exit 267A towards Tampa and merge onto FL-429.  This is another toll road, but you will only need to pay one or 2 times as I recall. Stay on FL-429 and take exit 8 and merge onto Western Way towards Disney World.  At this point just follow the signs to the Magic Kingdom and you will come in the main entrance.  Google maps likes to take you off FL-429 earlier, but it will take you through a bunch of residential areas.  I find the Western Way exit better as that side of Disney is usually not too crowded.

Some tips if I may.  I am not sure where you are coming from or your gas mileage, but we always stop in Macon GA and Valdosta to fill up with fuel.  As soon as you cross into FL the price of fuel goes up.  If you are low once in FL another good stop is Ocala.  Alot of easy in and easy out options.  Also be sure to bring plenty of quarters as some of the toll plazas on FL-429 are not staffed and you must have exact change should you exit early for some reason.  Another option is to buy a Sun Pass or a Peach Pass (Georgia) as they accept both and you can just drive right through the toll plazas. 

Safe Travels.

Also be sure to bring plenty of quarters as some of the toll plazas on FL-429 are not staffed and you must have exact change should you exit early for some reason.  Another option is to buy a Sun Pass or a Peach Pass (Georgia) as they accept both and you can just drive right through the toll plazas. 

Safe Travels.

All the toll booths that Tim will hit coming in on the Turnpike and 429 to Western Way have attendants so he won't need extra change.

All the toll booths that Tim will hit coming in on the Turnpike and 429 to Western Way have attendants so he won't need extra change.

I just mentioned it in case they needed to exit early for some reason.  Otherwise without exact change or a pass you are out of luck and will get a nice souvenir picture from the State of FL with your tag #.  It only cost about $15!  Ask me how I know (2 times)!

That's how we go as well, highly recommend it. Exit 8 is Western Way/Harzog Rd.

429 and Western Way is how we come down also :)

Us too, we just came that way over Thanksgiving and it's the only way I'll go now.

One tip, on Western way it was real empty and I was cruising along about 45MPH, well a dump truck I passed started waving his arm so I slowed down thinking something was wrong, nope as I rounded the slight curve there were three cops parked using radar and writing tickets.  Man was I thankful for that dump truck driver, evidently the speed limit changes somewhere right there and drops to 35MPH, I think it was right near Coronado Springs resort so be careful.

I just opted for the Sunpass. It was only $3 and I didn't have to worry about which roads I got on as we rarely carry cash or change. :)

We LOVE our Sunpass :)

I actually bought a Sunpass from a vending machine at a Florida rest stop on the drive down.  I think it was $5 and then I added $10 to it over their website on my phone.  Then as your balance gets low they send you an email.  I loved that thing.  Funny part is I lived in Florida for 8 years and never bought one but now I live in Louisiana and finally broke down and got it.

WBI

Us too, we just came that way over Thanksgiving and it's the only way I'll go now.

One tip, on Western way it was real empty and I was cruising along about 45MPH, well a dump truck I passed started waving his arm so I slowed down thinking something was wrong, nope as I rounded the slight curve there were three cops parked using radar and writing tickets.  Man was I thankful for that dump truck driver, evidently the speed limit changes somewhere right there and drops to 35MPH, I think it was right near Coronado Springs resort so be careful.

WBI

That is correct on Western Way at around Black Lake Road the speed limit drops to 35 and there is often a speed trap there. Folks have been cruising at 65+ for hundreds of miles, and often forget!

I just opted for the Sunpass. It was only $3 and I didn't have to worry about which roads I got on as we rarely carry cash or change. :)

Where did you find a Sunpass for $3?  I've been looking to get one since my daughter lives N of the Beachline.

I've seen them for $5 (non transferable) and $20 for the one you can use on multiple vehicles.  The $20 used to come with $10 or 15 worth of credit, but no more.

I agree coming in on 429 to Western Way is the best way to go.  But I hate going through the main gate with the MH.  I was a tighter squeeze than I enjoyed.  I usually stay on Buena Vista Drive and just past Epcot Center Drive, I take a left on Bonnet Creek Dr.  There is the Disney Vacation Club lighthouse (?) looking thing on the corner.  Stay on Bonnet Creek Dr. until you reach Vista Blvd.  I think it is the second traffic light.  Take a left onto Vista Blvd and about a mile or so up on the right is the Fort.

I agree coming in on 429 to Western Way is the best way to go.  But I hate going through the main gate with the MH.  I was a tighter squeeze than I enjoyed.  I usually stay on Buena Vista Drive and just past Epcot Center Drive, I take a left on Bonnet Creek Dr.  There is the Disney Vacation Club lighthouse (?) looking thing on the corner.  Stay on Bonnet Creek Dr. until you reach Vista Blvd.  I think it is the second traffic light.  Take a left onto Vista Blvd and about a mile or so up on the right is the Fort.

That will work, but you will have to swing wide to make the fairly tight right turn into the Fort.

That will work, but you will have to swing wide to make the fairly tight right turn into the Fort.

Agreed, but I find that turn a lot less stressful than keeping my mirrors off of the toll booths at the main gate.  Never clipped one (yet) but boy were my mirrors close and I saw many scrap marks right about the same level.  Plus, I usually stop at the Hess station by the Boardwalk to top off my tank before I go to the Fort.  One less thing to worry about when I leave.  And maybe it's just me but I think the gas prices there are pretty competitive to to the off property gas stations in the area.