It's about 3/4 of a mile from the bus stop at the the Settlement to the Wilderness Lodge.  To bike the entire campground, every loop (cabins too), is a good 1.5 hour at an enjoyable pace.  I would definitely recommend bikes if you are planning chunks of time at the campground, pool time or kids that like a bit of freedom.  We are not fans of the internal buses and use the bikes to get to to the Outpost bus stop, we usually are in 4, 5 or 600 loop and just walk to the Settlement.

We love to rent a cart for a day or two at the decorating holidays like Halloween or Christmas and tour around.  I think a big factor in cart vs bike is a amount and age of kids.  For pre-teens (>9ish) and up biking is great adventure under 10 though I think there is a lot of car/bus traffic and would not feel safe allowing them to roam away from sight.

To be safe at night lights are a must, the loops are not well lite and you are chastised if not using the sidewalks from loop to loop and they are dark, not to mention the pedestrian traffic.

R. 

Great bits to chew on. I know the older children would love to explore and head to the pools when we are busy with the littles. Thanks!!

Kristie -

I was just thinking.  You will have ten kids by the time you go.  That would be three golf carts!  I would bring bikes for recreation and plan to ride buses to get to the buses or boat.   ;)

Your right! It might be fun to rent one for a day or so and take turns looping but I think we need to stay with the bikes. Jan/Feb should be fun but I hope not too cold.

Your right! It might be fun to rent one for a day or so and take turns looping but I think we need to stay with the bikes. Jan/Feb should be fun but I hope not too cold.

I went President's Day 2013 and MLK weekend 2014 and both were very cold.  My advice is bring lots of layers.

Florida weather from October until March can be unpredictable at best. Today was 81 degrees in Tampa, but when we were at the Fort for Halloween it was in the 70's one day and then dropped to the low 40's overnight. Like someone said bring layers.

We have never rented carts in all of our visits. We have used bikes, busses, and walked. The last trip my granddaughter brought her Razor (non powered) scooter and we walked instead of bikes.

Busses are good, not great. They can be standing room only at times like after HDDR gets out or the electric Water Pageant. It seems to me that they don't run as often as they used to.

My opinion, stick to the bikes and walking/busses.

I realize most of you are much younger than we are so walking is easier on you. Us old folks have a hard time doing too much walking. Pushing the 3 wheel chairs helps me as it gives me something to hold on to when walking. We have enjoyed having oI our own golf cart especially when I have LARGE loads of laundry that is too much for our small washer in the RV.

The kids also love "looping" especially during the holidays when there are decorations. It really comes in handy. But if you like to use a bicycle then I would suggest you continue to do so. It is great exercise. My grandson brought his this

week and he is enjoying it. I think anything you use at the Fort will be fun. ENJOY!

Florida weather from October until March can be unpredictable at best. Today was 81 degrees in Tampa, but when we were at the Fort for Halloween it was in the 70's one day and then dropped to the low 40's overnight. Like someone said bring layers.

We have never rented carts in all of our visits. We have used bikes, busses, and walked. The last trip my granddaughter brought her Razor (non powered) scooter and we walked instead of bikes.

Busses are good, not great. They can be standing room only at times like after HDDR gets out or the electric Water Pageant. It seems to me that they don't run as often as they used to.

My opinion, stick to the bikes and walking/busses.

We will be down in Jan/Feb so layers we will definitely bring although even the 50's will feel very warm to us. Up here Jan. usually has us in snow and ice and below zero temp. I guess that is why so many from the north go south for spring break. We need hope that winter will not last forever :P  

We will be down in Jan/Feb so layers we will definitely bring although even the 50's will feel very warm to us. Up here Jan. usually has us in snow and ice and below zero temp. I guess that is why so many from the north go south for spring break. We need hope that winter will not last forever :P  

Even after 19 years in SC thinning my blood, 50's feels warm to me in the middle of winter.  If it is 55 degrees out, I will let the kids go out and play with just a long sleeve shirt and jeans on or maybe even shorts.  However, 55 degrees actively playing in the sunshine is way different than 55 degrees standing still in the wind.  And if you plan to watch a parade or fireworks, you will be standing mostly still for a while.  That is when it really got to me.  Oh, and taking the boat back to the Fort from MK when it is dark and 40 degrees is downright miserable.  At least as miserable as you can be while at WDW.

Even after 19 years in SC thinning my blood, 50's feels warm to me in the middle of winter.  If it is 55 degrees out, I will let the kids go out and play with just a long sleeve shirt and jeans on or maybe even shorts.  However, 55 degrees actively playing in the sunshine is way different than 55 degrees standing still in the wind.  And if you plan to watch a parade or fireworks, you will be standing mostly still for a while.  That is when it really got to me.  Oh, and taking the boat back to the Fort from MK when it is dark and 40 degrees is downright miserable.  At least as miserable as you can be while at WDW.

Very True. I forgot about the boat rides at night. I remember as a little girl curled up in my shirt as we got stuck on the deck of a boat. I thought I was going to freeze and my grandma was doing everything she could to keep me warm. Definitely want to be prepared especially with the babies.

If we stay on the warmer months then I like to use the bikes only. We'll rent a cart in the colder months and especially for Christmas, mainly to looping. I do love it when we rent a cart but miss the exercise I get with the bike.

We are local so we rent from outside.