A Chef TJ Dining Experience at Trails End

First....some background: Chef TJ has worked at WDW for 20 years or so, starting at Boma, then spending time at 'Ohana and 1900 Park Fare. During those years, he developed a large fan base, bordering on cult-like status, among Disney foodies, particularly those with allergies or Vegetarians/Vegans. Vegetarians and Vegans would flock to his restaurants hoping to get the "Chef TJ Experience".....a multi-course dinner that would stray off-menu but delight the diner with beautifully presented vegan-friendly dishes.

During the summer of 2014, Chef TJ was moved from 1900 Park Fare to Trails End, where he is responsible for the kitchen serving both the Trails End restaurant and the Hoop de Doo Revue at Pioneer Hall. (I'm not sure whether he also is responsible for Mickey's Backyard BBQ, but my guess is that he is).

On New Years Eve during our recent stay at Fort Wilderness, we attended the HDDR with our 5 girls. As my wife and I are both Plant-Based eaters (similar to Vegan), we put a note on our reservation requesting a Vegan meal. Shortly after being seated, the Chef came out to talk to us, and lo and behold....it was Chef TJ! He was extremely friendly and accomodating, and explained what he could provide to us that evening. He did say that he was fairly limited as to what he could do during the dinner show....which we fully expected and understood....but that we should come see him next door some evening.

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the HDDR (a nice platter of grilled veggies and a pasta primavera dish, along with a vegan strawberry shortcake), but we decided that we would have dinner the next night at Trails End to enjoy more of Chef TJ's cooking.

Hoop De Doo Grilled Veggies:

20141231_190133_LLS.jpg

Hoop De Doo Pasta

20141231_190329_LLS.jpg

Hoop De Doo Vegan Strawberry Shortcake

20141231_194826_LLS.jpg

Ok....on to the main "Chef TJ Experience"!

We decided to make our dinner at Trails End a "date night"....sending the kids off to the Contempo Cafe for some of their favorites. We arrived around 6:15pm, and before too long, Chef TJ came out to greet us. He remembered us from the Hoop De Doo, and promised us a treat. He explained what on the regular buffet was vegan-friendly (basically just the salad with balsamic and the green beans) and invited us to try those items while he worked on our first course.

Trails End Salad and Green Beans

20150101_183406.jpg

While we were enjoying our salad, our server refreshed our beverages and told us we had the best Chef in the house, and that TJ was forcing everyone at Trails End to up their game. I imagine that's why Disney put him there.

Before too long, Chef TJ returned with our first course.....Vegan Spring Rolls!

20150101_185206.jpg

These were absolutely delicious! They had a sweet and tangy sauce on them, and were not too greasy. In our non-Disney lives, we don't eat fried foods so I was happy that these weren't oily....they were crisp and fresh tasting.

After we finished the spring rolls, we were both starting to get full, but Chef TJ was just getting warmed up!

He next brought out two plates containing a toasted bun with roasted vegetables and some vegan cheese (again something we don't eat at home because we don't eat processed foods.....but hey, we're on vacation!). These were accompanied by soups....one bowl of Corn Chowder, and one of Butternut Squash soup. He said we could fight over them. They were both excellent, but we both preferred the Corn Chowder.

Trails End Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Corn Chowder

20150101_190214.jpg

Trails End Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Butternut Squash Soup

20150101_190220.jpg

Ok, at this point, we were both getting quite full. And he had mentioned that he would be preparing a special dessert for us, which we thought he'd be bringing out next. But nope....there was another course!

Next was a beautiful platter of grilled vegetables, Asian noodles and BBQ fried tofu.

20150101_191736.jpg

While this was delicious, we could barely eat any of it. Chef TJ seemed concerned that we didn't like it, but we told him it was great and would make an excellent lunch for us tomorrow. He was happy to hear that and brought a box for us....and told us it would probably be even better the next day (which it was).

Finally, it was nearing the end. We knew he'd bring out some dessert, but I wasn't expecting what came next. (2 of these, in fact!)

20150101_194051.jpg

That beautiful tower of deliciousness is a skewer of bananas, strawberries and Tofutti ice cream sandwiches, stuck into an apple on the bottom, and then drizzled with chocolate syrup tableside by Chef TJ. And holy moly, it was good! Full as I was, I finished mine.

We were stuffed and completely taken aback at the dining experience we had just had right at Trails End. Unbelievably, this meal was enjoyed a mere 2 minute walk from our RV in the 100 loop! Although we did take the long way back, hoping to walk off some of this food. But before doing that, we took the opportunity to snap a picture with our new favorite Disney Chef.

20150101_192356.jpg

So there you have it....my unexpected Trails End 5 course dinner for 2! All for the price of the regular Trails End buffet. I hope Chef TJ stays at Trails End long enough for us to get back there.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not sure if you're a brand new member, or an old member who created a new account, but that's a great post, and I gave you an up arrow for it.   After my post that you quoted, I thought about wha

First....some background: Chef TJ has worked at WDW for 20 years or so, starting at Boma, then spending time at 'Ohana and 1900 Park Fare. During those years, he developed a large fan base, bordering

Amazing! This so needs to be shared on the Fort Fiend Facebook page.

While I don't plan on giving up meat I do seek out high quality vegetarian restaurants to keep up variety when we dine out or are traveling. From what I've seen here if Disney were to open one with Chef TJ running it I think it would be very successful. I would surely make a reservation for what that's worth as I would much rather have what you did than a buffet. 

... if Disney were to open one with Chef TJ running it I think it would be very successful.

Agreed!

Amazing! This so needs to be shared on the Fort Fiend Facebook page.

Good idea - will do.  :)

You should have talked to him about returning the steak fries to the GAG. lol  

Dave was clearly bleary-eyed from all the deliciousness and let this slip.  8)

Wow what a deal. I hope he gets the chance and budget to "plus" the regular buffet.

You should have talked to him about returning the steak fries to the GAG. lol  

My kids got a GAG on the night that INC and I went to California Grill, and while the steak fries haven't returned, they say the fries now are better than ever.  INC, Anna and I had lunch at Trails End one day and we got a basket of fries for Anna....I tried some and have to say they were darn good.  I still prefer steak fries (and had some at the Plaza), but the new Trails End fries are much improved! 

A portobello mushroom. 

I'm guessing it's a grilled Portobello Mushroom.

Still looks like a steak to me!

I don't know when this guy took over, but breakfast at TE was definitely not as good on this last trip.  They used to have wonderful Frittata, but on this trip it was so bad!

Still looks like a steak to me!

I don't know when this guy took over, but breakfast at TE was definitely not as good on this last trip.  They used to have wonderful Frittata, but on this trip it was so bad!

He works Sunday-Thursday from 2:30 pm until close....not sure if he's responsible overall for the kitchen including breakfast, but he definitely doesn't work during those hours. 

As a vegan with a kid who has severe food allergies I am looking forward to our Trails End dinner for Kellens birthday.  Im in a Veg disney group and Allergy Disney group and both are all about Chef TJ!  This will be our first experiece with him if we are lucky, fingers crossed we get him!  Apparently, reservations at 4:30-4:45 increase your likelyhood of TJ having time to prepare his masterpiece for you.