A Chef TJ Dining Experience at Trails End

Oh and I have been informed that when it comes to pizza and fries, and many other pre-made food items throughout WDW, the individual food locations have no say on what brand or type gets served, as that all comes down from the main Food & Beverage department.

In other words, if it seems like the fries all over WDW have changed recently, it's because they're all coming from the same place and very well may have.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not sure if you're a brand new member, or an old member who created a new account, but that's a great post, and I gave you an up arrow for it.   After my post that you quoted, I thought about wha

First....some background: Chef TJ has worked at WDW for 20 years or so, starting at Boma, then spending time at 'Ohana and 1900 Park Fare. During those years, he developed a large fan base, bordering

Amazing! This so needs to be shared on the Fort Fiend Facebook page.

You missed my Facebook meltdown.  There will be no more trips to WDW for us anytime soon....thus no more vegetable creations.  Your cardboard pizzas are safe. 

WHAT?

You said at the end of your first post on this thread that you were looking forward to getting back there.

I need to hear about this meltdown.

Oh and I have been informed that when it comes to pizza and fries, and many other pre-made food items throughout WDW, the individual food locations have no say on what brand or type gets served, as that all comes down from the main Food & Beverage department.

In other words, if it seems like the fries all over WDW have changed recently, it's because they're all coming from the same place and very well may have.

Tell Lou your SuperSecretSource that he got this one wrong.

Trail's End take out had steak fries for years while most other food service locations had what we in the TCD gang called Disney Fries.

BOG, the Plaza, and the Fish and Chips place in Epcot still serve steak fries.

TCD

Tell Lou your SuperSecretSource that he got this one wrong.

Trail's End take out had steak fries for years while most other food service locations had what we in the TCD gang called Disney Fries.

I think he meant that F&B controls the type of food as everything gets ordered through there.  So if locations X, Y, Z serve steak fries, they're all the same steak fries.

At least that's what I think he meant - I'm interpreting on the fly today and my multi-tasking abilities are at their limit.

I can't believe the DIsney fries changed at Disney Food Blog didn't do an article. 

:bellringer:

Maybe they changed the oil?

I worked at McD's in college in the middle of the whole "let's change everything to vegetable oil" movement, and there was a BIG change in the taste of the fries when we did.

I want to hear about the DIT meltdown also!

TCD

You made me think about this one so I went back to the WBI photo archives and found this picture from Be Our Guest Lunch on 11/23/14 at 11am.

DSC00267.jpg

It appears BOG has switched to Disney Fries.

But the little prince and I had no complaints, we both gave them two greasy thumbs up!

Also on the French fry note, Fish & Chips still has a steak style fries as you posted which were also delecious:

DSC00482.jpg

WBI

I want to hear about the DIT meltdown also!

You made me think about this one so I went back to the WBI photo archives and found this picture from Be Our Guest Lunch on 11/23/14 at 11am.

DSC00267.jpg

It appears BOG has switched to Disney Fries.

But the little prince and I had no complaints, we both gave them two greasy thumbs up!

Also on the French fry note, Fish & Chips still has a steak style fries as you posted which were also delecious:

DSC00482.jpg

WBI

I should have been clearer about BOG- they serve steak fries at dinner, and the regular Disney Fries (improved variety) at lunch.

TCD

I think magical moments are great, but having a guy on the payroll who is supposed to serve the entire restaurant cater to just a few chosen guests just doesn't sit right with me.

I'm sure that restaurant has one budget. So, the guests eating frozen pizza are paying for the special meals being enjoyed by the chef's pet guests. That ain't right.

TCD

Most of the so called groupies or pet guests as you called them are guests with a special needs diet. Chef Tj is not only making beautiful meals but is also making sure that his guests are safe. I do not have any issues with someone getting a special meal due to a restricted diet as I eat my cardboard pizza. I guess I am not a jealous or petty person.

I also wanted to address your snarky comment about Chef Tj having so much free time to cater to his "pet guests" that he should not be on the payroll. Have you ever met him? If not let me tell you...he is one of the most hard working chefs in WDW. Most days he is in that kitchen for 13 hours. He works along side his cooks to ensure that guests are getting the servce they deserve. He does not sit in the office and just delegate to his cast. He is trying to improve the buffet but you have to understand that certain things are not in his abilities....ie ordering, menu and other things. That is the job of the Chef de Cuisine and the Chef (and I think they are doing a great job).

I guess all I am saying is "just be happy for someone when they get pixie dust" just like I was happy for you when you got your free upgrade at the Fort just recently.

Most of the so called groupies or pet guests as you called them are guests with a special needs diet. Chef Tj is not only making beautiful meals but is also making sure that his guests are safe. I do not have any issues with someone getting a special meal due to a restricted diet as I eat my cardboard pizza. I guess I am not a jealous or petty person.

I also wanted to address your snarky comment about Chef Tj having so much free time to cater to his "pet guests" that he should not be on the payroll. Have you ever met him? If not let me tell you...he is one of the most hard working chefs in WDW. Most days he is in that kitchen for 13 hours. He works along side his cooks to ensure that guests are getting the servce they deserve. He does not sit in the office and just delegate to his cast. He is trying to improve the buffet but you have to understand that certain things are not in his abilities....ie ordering, menu and other things. That is the job of the Chef de Cuisine and the Chef (and I think they are doing a great job).

I guess all I am saying is "just be happy for someone when they get pixie dust" just like I was happy for you when you got your free upgrade at the Fort just recently.

I am not sure if you're a brand new member, or an old member who created a new account, but that's a great post, and I gave you an up arrow for it.

After my post that you quoted, I thought about what others were saying, and I then posted that I understood what others were saying.  See my post #40 above.  It appears that Chef TJ is doing what Disney expects him to do, and is doing it well enough that he has been recognized as an exemplary castmember.  As I said above, I am glad that guests with special dietary needs are being accommodated in a way that most other businesses would never do. 

I am glad that Disney gives its castmembers the leeway to take the initiative and create magical moments for guests.  And I hope that it continues.

Another thing that crossed my mind is that the Chef is actually bringing in untapped revenue to Trail's End.  He personally invited DIT to dine at Trail's End.  I doubt Dave would have bothered to go absent that invitation.

One thing I really like about our discussion board here is that we don't have to always agree with each other.  We wouldn't have anything to discuss if we did.  In this thread, I expressed some of my opinions, and the posts from others, like yours,  pointed out some things that I wasn't looking at.  I truly appreciate that, and I hope that you keep on posting.

TCD

I am not sure if you're a brand new member, or an old member who created a new account, but that's a great post, and I gave you an up arrow for it.

After my post that you quoted, I thought about what others were saying, and I then posted that I understood what others were saying.  See my post #40 above.  It appears that Chef TJ is doing what Disney expects him to do, and is doing it well enough that he has been recognized as an exemplary castmember.  As I said above, I am glad that guests with special dietary needs are being accommodated in a way that most other businesses would never do. 

I am glad that Disney gives its castmembers the leeway to take the initiative and create magical moments for guests.  And I hope that it continues.

Another thing that crossed my mind is that the Chef is actually bringing in untapped revenue to Trail's End.  He personally invited DIT to dine at Trail's End.  I doubt Dave would have bothered to go absent that invitation.

One thing I really like about our discussion board here is that we don't have to always agree with each other.  We wouldn't have anything to discuss if we did.  In this thread, I expressed some of my opinions, and the posts from others, like yours,  pointed out some things that I wasn't looking at.  I truly appreciate that, and I hope that you keep on posting.

TCD

Well said, sir. I'm giving you your own up arrow. 

My two cents.

A little background. Up until about 12 years ago I was a GM at a restaurant. I was literally born into the restaurant business.

I understand making special dishes for dietary needs, I.e. food allergies. Every restaurant I worked at would accomadtae that person. But in Daveintn's case it was a lifestyle choice. Dave and his wonderful wife are vegans (is that the correct term?). I'm sure there are lots of choices on the buffet that they could have eaten. From seasonal veggies to crappy cheese pizza. Most restaurants now a days have a vegaterian entree or two on them. I wouldn't expect to go to a vegetarian restaurant and get a steak. Because I have chosen to eat meat.

Why should Dave and inc get special treatment?

Why? Because it is Disney. That's part of te reason I love it. Disney will go above and beyond the call of duty to make a good vacation great. No not all the time and not for everybody. But almost everyone I know that's been to Disney even once has at least one story about how someone did something for them that made their trip a little bit better. I can't tell you how many times we've had pixie dust sprinkled on us. I bet it happens to us every trip multiple times.

Every TR I read I hear about how they were sprinkled with some dust.

GDF Kelly got a free TiW card. Should I demand one next time I go?

Heck no!

I'm happy for her and Jason.

On our last trip she invited me and my DD after the GG to go to the MK to ride Space Mountain (actually it was more like... She told my DD about it and conspired against me to go. Lol). She had some pixie dust sprinkled on her and wanted to a share it with us.

So I'm glad that Chef TJ did that for Dave and inc. She deserves it.

I just hope it doesn't get taken advantage of by others to the point the Chef won't be able to spread some more dust.

I just hope it doesn't get taken advantage of by others to the point the Chef won't be able to spread some dust.

^THIS^

I've seen reports from CMs elsewhere that allegedly they've been told to scale back the pixie dust for the very reason that more and more people are now expecting/demanding it. Take those reports with a grain of salt because I don't know those people personally to confirm (and hey, it's the internet) but I can see where, if things are getting out of hand, it could happen.

Let me point out one more time that INC and I did not seek out this meal. We were invited by the Chef to come dine with him when we saw him at the Hoop De Doo. For every other meal out during our vacation, I had taken the time previously to investigate menus at the various Disney restaurants to make decisions on where to eat. I chose restaurants that offered meatless entrees that appealed to me, so that we never even mentioned our dietary choices to the restaurant (the one exception being California Grill because I knew they had a modification they could make based upon my research). We appreciated the experience we received at Trails End. We didn't ask for it. I'd love to experience it again but don't expect to.

I posted this review to share an experience we had, plain and simple. I did not anticipate creating a controversy. Sorry I posted it. 

Vegans cannot eat cheese pizza if it is made with dairy cheese. A vegan diet means no animal products of any type for food and many subscribe to no animal products period. There are various types vegetarians that will eat various levels of animal food products as long as they aren't the result of killing the animal. 

I posted this review to share an experience we had, plain and simple. I did not anticipate creating a controversy. Sorry I posted it. 

I'm not sorry you posted about your experience.  I'm very glad you did.

We had a thread on here about Chef TJ a while back, and I didn't like what I heard.  This thread turned my short-sighted thinking around.  That's a good thing.

There are plenty of boring boards where everyone agrees with each other, or gets shouted down if they don't.  I'm glad we can discuss things civilly here.

TCD

Dave and his wonderful wife are vegans (is that the correct term?). I'm sure there are lots of choices on the buffet that they could have eaten. From seasonal veggies to crappy cheese pizza.

I just hope it doesn't get taken advantage of by others to the point the Chef won't be able to spread some more dust.

Vegans don't eat milk/dairy. The veggies probably have butter on them.

It does get taken advantage of which sucks for people like my kid. Chefs get tied up making meals for people who want the pixie dust and don't need it. Making the wait longer for us to speak to a chef, longer wait for his food, etc. I don't want pixie dust, I just want my kid to eat safely. I have seen plenty of threads a while ago (not here) about people faking allergies in hopes of getting the special treatment. Those people are up there with the I bring my dog every where people.

*this post is not directed at anyone here.

Vegans cannot eat cheese pizza if it is made with dairy cheese. A vegan diet means no animal products of any type for food and many subscribe to no animal products period. There are various types vegetarians that will eat various levels of animal food products as long as they aren't the result of killing the animal.

I hope you read my entire post. The point is not whether someone is a vegan, vegetarian, or don't eat dairy products.

The point is Dave and Inc had a wonderful experience. They just happen to be vegans or vegetarians. And Disney provides these types of experiences all the time. And we should be happy for them. Not jealous or feel entitled to the same treatment. No I never had a chef at Disney make me a special meal nor do I expect I will next time I'm at TE.

Congrats Dave and Inc. What an awesome thing to experience.