Man Overboard on RCCL saved by DCL

How hard would it be to consult with a weather service and maybe explain in the news report whether it's possible for a giant wave to appear out of nowhere and sweep a passenger off of the world's largest cruise ship.

TCD

Wait a minute Mr. Man!

As a graduate of the finest journalism school, in oklahoma. I'll have you know that it takes a lot of time and effort log into a computer and then do search for the NOAA website you can't expect us to remember its noaa.gov. And then do a search for sea conditions in the western Caribbean on a spefic date and time. We have better things to do with 5 or 6 minutes it would take to do all that research just to verify one little detail.

Please. Give us a break.

I understand.  I wasn't poking fun at you- I was poking fun at the "news" for reporting that the seas were rough.

Sadly, we don't have journalists any more.  We just have a bunch of talking heads who report whatever they hear.  How hard would it be to consult with a weather service and maybe explain in the news report whether it's possible for a giant wave to appear out of nowhere and sweep a passenger off of the world's largest cruise ship.

TCD

Mis-understood and how right you are. Today's "so called" journalists are nothing but copy writers. 

Hang on a minute.

Now, it's a couple who were up on Deck 10 with their baby who heard the man screaming?  And the wife ran to get help.

The GMA story said it was a guy out on his balcony that heard the guy and ran to get help.

There sure are a lot of versions of this story.

TCD

The real story is the mans wife caught him out on the deck with a another woman and she knocked him overboard. At least that is the story his wife told me. And I believe her.  Wave has no reason to lie.

I was on the Oasis on that cruise.  The seas were rough at cozumel during the day but had calmed during the evening, though it was still rough.  The ship was not doing any major "rocking and rolling".  I have a pretty weak stomach and was seasick earlier in the day but not in the evening.   My husband and I were out walking the track (on the 5th deck)  in the evening.   I would NOT have been out walking anywhere if the ship was rocking and rolling.  I would be curled up in bed in a fetal position.  Anyways,  I don't recall any huge waves coming up onto the 5th deck during the time we were out walking.   I don't recall the deck being particularly wet in any area either so not too much sea spray.  Deck five is where the track is (mostly enclosed) and it is also the  deck where the life rafts are located and it is the first "open deck" that passengers are allowed out on....I don't know if crew had access to lower decks, I suppose they did so maybe this passenger was on a deck that only crew could access and  he had no business being on that deck?  They also close off the decks to passengers when it is too windy or dangerous for passengers to be out on them.  I don't know what happened but it seems odd that no one recalls the ship being hit with a wave that would knock a passenger off the 5th deck (or higher).  I've seen a news story that RCL verified a passenger went off the ship into the water and was rescued by the Disney ship so something happened.  How and why?  That is the mystery.

I've seen a news story that RCL verified a passenger went off the ship into the water and was rescued by the Disney ship so something happened.  How and why?  That is the mystery.

Thanks for the first hand report!

Sadly, the way the media works these days, we will probably never hear the true story.  They've all moved on to report whatever sensational "news" is happening now.

TCD