We headed over Monday afternoon after my granddaughter got out of school. We got there a little after 3. It was surprisingly hot compared to Sunday in Tampa.

I will do a longer update starting tomorrow, but the one thing I wanted to mention is that the Passholder pins have been sold out, and they will proably not be getting anymore, since they were released as a limited edition of 4000.

It was crowded walking around, but there were no lines for the food vendors that we visited.

And the liquid chocolate drink was crazy!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rick Springfield will be there on October 12th & 13th. We leave on the 11th. Surely Steve could travel back home alone with the girls.

The Disney Parks Blog just posted that the Food and Wine food booths will be expanding in to Future World this year:   http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/20th-epcot-international-food-wine-

So after the big splash made by Puerto Rico in 2014, including rumors that Puerto Rico wanted to sponsor a full-time pavilion in Epcot, they just disappear for 2015?   Muy extraño.   TCD

Am I imagining this, or are those prices at the booths up significantly from a few years ago?  When we last went, I remember tasting quite a few things and, even though it was not cheap (it's Disney), I don't recall the small plates being that expensive.  Some of the prices I've seen this year would be what I'd pay for a complete lunch entree outside the parks.  And that's for only one sample!  And those sample drinks are expensive too.  Don't tell me Disney has decided to jump the shark on this festival and milk it for all it's worth....they wouldn't do that, would they? 

Am I imagining this, or are those prices at the booths up significantly from a few years ago?  When we last went, I remember tasting quite a few things and, even though it was not cheap (it's Disney), I don't recall the small plates being that expensive.  Some of the prices I've seen this year would be what I'd pay for a complete lunch entree outside the parks.  And that's for only one sample!  And those sample drinks are expensive too.  Don't tell me Disney has decided to jump the shark on this festival and milk it for all it's worth....they wouldn't do that, would they? 

And I thought it was just me thinking that way!

I'm sure they will charge as much as possible, and by the looks of the lines a couple of Saturdays ago, and the amount of people walking around with beer and wine, it hasn't deterred people from attending and purchasing.

We haven't been to the festival in years, and we aren't big on eating out.  If we do eat out we get to go.

So I wasn't sure what to expect when we started getting the food.

It's definitely more (small) appetizer/sample style than filling your belly sized.  A little bit bigger than samples from in store promotions at the grocery stores.

Are the prices in line for an appetizer at a sit down restaurant on or off site?

I wouldn't say that they've jumped the shark yet, but they're almost there.

Every year, the prices go up and the portions and quality decrease a little.

There seem to be a lot more $6+ choices than there used to be.  Plus, in the past, it was a reasonable thing to do to share things.  With the current portion sizes, that's not a real satisfying thing to do.

TCD

I wouldn't say that they've jumped the shark yet, but they're almost there.

Every year, the prices go up and the portions and quality decrease a little.

There seem to be a lot more $6+ choices than there used to be.  Plus, in the past, it was a reasonable thing to do to share things.  With the current portion sizes, that's not a real satisfying thing to do.

TCD

I have a feeling that this is being driven, once again, by the Disney dining plan. I believe, and someone may correct my memory, that one meal on the DDP can be converted into 3 snack credits at the F&W festival.

They were pushing this hard when we booked out upcoming trip, but we declined.

I have a feeling that this is being driven, once again, by the Disney dining plan. I believe, and someone may correct my memory, that one meal on the DDP can be converted into 3 snack credits at the F&W festival.

I didn't think of this, but it's a good point.

Like with the rest of the DDP, they need to get everything uniform and in the same price range, lest the customer somehow come out ahead.

TCD

It can but it has to all be used at the same booth. I was happy to hear this was an option until I read that. Not many booths I want 3 things from.

Well, that's a crummy trick.

But, it would work if your were with a group of people (assuming you are allowed to get more than one of each item).

TCD

That is hard considering that a lot of booths only have 2 food items and a dessert.  Some do have 3 foods and a dessert.

Looking at the menu that the Disney Food Blog posted, looks like everything but the drinks  are DDP snack eligible

Continuing my report from late last night.

I stopped at the Dominican Republic  booth and got the Pescado con coco: Seared grouper, pigeon peas and rice with coconut sauce – $4.75, but when I went to try it, it had an odd texture.. it's because they gave me the Lechón asado: Roasted pork with mangú, pickled red onion and avocado – $4.50.  I took it back, and they gave me the grouper and told me to keep the pork.

The grouper was good, shared it with the granddaughter.  My wife liked the pork, and the pickled onion was good.

Next stop was the Sustainable Chew.  My granddaughter got the Ricotta & zucchini ravioli with tomato sauce – $4.75 which she sucked down.  It was one large ravioli.

My wife and I shared the Frozen Chew-tini.  It was made with lemon vodka and was bright orange.  It was really good, so I wandered over and asked what it was made out of besides the vodka.  The mixer was V-8 Carrot/Mango blend!  Will be hitting the liquor store and fruit juice aisle this weekend!

Next stop was to get Day 2 stamps for our wine glasses.  Walked right in, they didn't have a screener checking AP's at the entrance, just at the table. 

One thing to note, you have to have an ID besides your AP card when it comes time to pick up your glass.

We went to Nemo... walked right in, then did Turtle Talk with no wait.

While my GD was playing in Innoventions, I went to the Test Track Coffee Cart and got the Iced Coffee Dream: bold roast coffee, chilled and iced, with light cream, topped with Bailey’s Irish Crème® and whipped cream.  We split that while she finished up playing.

Then over to Festival Center.  There was a large wine shop, marketplace to purchase different items, 2 or 3 seminar locations, a café, and then this...

The Chocolate Experience: From Bean to the Bar - Hosted by Ghirardelli® Chocolate Company.  They had 6 displays made out of pastry and chocolate, including Up, Avengers, Star Wars, and for TCD, Frozen.

They gave out candy samples and coupons for their ice cream shop at Downtown Disney   Disney Springs.

We got my GD the Liquid Chocolate drink billed as "like drinking a chocolate bar".  It was in a small cup, like one for a kids tea party, but it was so rich and strong it was enough for 3 of us to try.  Needed a quart of milk afterwards.

We ate dinner at the Electric Umbrella, and it was less than impressive. 

Afterwards my GD got a Dole Whip, they didn't have swirls, and we headed out.

It was much more enjoyable than the previous visit on a Saturday. Cooler, less crowded.  None of the booths had lines to get served (except Electric).

Next trip we get our glasses!

Good review, Mark.

That chocolate drink sounds intriguing.  Is that sold back there in the corner where the chocolate artwork is on display?

TCD

Yes, they have candy bars, I think chocolate wine, and the liquid chocolate drink.

And, I was able to use my AP discount!  So it was "only" $2.40 instead of $2.50 and tax.

But it is so chocolaty and rich make sure you have water or milk to drink afterwards.

Yes, they have candy bars, I think chocolate wine, and the liquid chocolate drink.

And, I was able to use my AP discount!  So it was "only" $2.40 instead of $2.50 and tax.

But it is so chocolaty and rich make sure you have water or milk to drink afterwards.

I've made it back there for past festivals, and I think I remember the chocolate drink back there.  For $2.40 it would be worth trying once.  Plus, you get a free square of chocolate and coupons, like you said.

TCD

For what it's worth, my local paper had an article today about the Food and Wine Festival.  They offered some "helpful" tips, and included this list of their favorites from this year's festival:

Our picks

The offerings at Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival are not reminiscent of theme park food. These are chef-crafted small plates, offered at more than 30 booths mostly located in and inspired by the countries of the park's World Showcase. The portions are small, which means you can taste a wide variety of food in one day. We recommend staying away from things like the predictable cheese ravioli in Italy and trying some of these delectable bites.

Grilled Beef Skewer With Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree (Patagonia): Disney could slather this chimichurri sauce on just about anything and I'd eat it. Here, it tops a grilled steak skewer and boniato, or white sweet potato, puree. The skewer makes for especially ideal festival eating.

Chicken Sausage With Creamy Polenta and Minus 8 Onion Jam (Canada): Sure, most people come to this country for the filet mignon or beer cheese soup, but this third menu item packs a ton of flavor, with chicken sausage, polenta, sweet peppers and onions.

Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle With Warm Whiskey Caramel (Chew Lab): A rich, sumptuous chocolate truffle gets dunked in liquid nitrogen for a few seconds, rendering it slightly frozen and firm. It's then topped with crushed Marcona almonds and drizzled with caramel. The portion is easily sharable, but no one will blame you for wanting one to yourself.

Loaded Mac 'n' Cheese (Farm Fresh): This is a new offering, and one I could eat again and again. The "loaded" part comes in the form of Nueske's pepper bacon, cheddar cheese, crunchy peppers and diced green onions.

Pao de Queijo (Brazil): Also known as Brazilian cheese bread, also known as a large ball of cheese wrapped in a light layer of dough and baked until gooey. And each portion comes with two.

Pork Spareribs With Red Wine, Fennel and Cheesy Mascarpone Grits (Sustainable Chew): Served super tender and on the bone, this is one hearty, satisfying small plate. Get it with the Beso Del Sol White Sangria or the Frozen Chew-tini.

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/travel/florida/tips-and-top-food-picks-for-epcot-international-food-and-wine-festivals/2249053

TCD

For what it's worth, my local paper had an article today about the Food and Wine Festival.  They offered some "helpful" tips, and included this list of their favorites from this year's festival:

Our picks

The offerings at Epcot's International Food and Wine Festival are not reminiscent of theme park food. These are chef-crafted small plates, offered at more than 30 booths mostly located in and inspired by the countries of the park's World Showcase. The portions are small, which means you can taste a wide variety of food in one day. We recommend staying away from things like the predictable cheese ravioli in Italy and trying some of these delectable bites.

Grilled Beef Skewer With Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree (Patagonia): Disney could slather this chimichurri sauce on just about anything and I'd eat it. Here, it tops a grilled steak skewer and boniato, or white sweet potato, puree. The skewer makes for especially ideal festival eating.

Chicken Sausage With Creamy Polenta and Minus 8 Onion Jam (Canada): Sure, most people come to this country for the filet mignon or beer cheese soup, but this third menu item packs a ton of flavor, with chicken sausage, polenta, sweet peppers and onions.

Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle With Warm Whiskey Caramel (Chew Lab): A rich, sumptuous chocolate truffle gets dunked in liquid nitrogen for a few seconds, rendering it slightly frozen and firm. It's then topped with crushed Marcona almonds and drizzled with caramel. The portion is easily sharable, but no one will blame you for wanting one to yourself.

Loaded Mac 'n' Cheese (Farm Fresh): This is a new offering, and one I could eat again and again. The "loaded" part comes in the form of Nueske's pepper bacon, cheddar cheese, crunchy peppers and diced green onions.

Pao de Queijo (Brazil): Also known as Brazilian cheese bread, also known as a large ball of cheese wrapped in a light layer of dough and baked until gooey. And each portion comes with two.

Pork Spareribs With Red Wine, Fennel and Cheesy Mascarpone Grits (Sustainable Chew): Served super tender and on the bone, this is one hearty, satisfying small plate. Get it with the Beso Del Sol White Sangria or the Frozen Chew-tini.

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/travel/florida/tips-and-top-food-picks-for-epcot-international-food-and-wine-festivals/2249053

TCD

Just finished reading the article a few minutes ago.

I liked how they mentioned about getting one of the gift cards on the bracelet and putting a set amount on it to curb spending because "Those small plates add up quickly"!

The biggest complaint I have is the portion size doesn't really allow you to get a good taste of the food, especially if it has multiple items.

Also they were surprised how crowded it was compared to past years.