• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rick Springfield will be there on October 12th & 13th. We leave on the 11th. Surely Steve could travel back home alone with the girls.

The Disney Parks Blog just posted that the Food and Wine food booths will be expanding in to Future World this year:   http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/20th-epcot-international-food-wine-

So after the big splash made by Puerto Rico in 2014, including rumors that Puerto Rico wanted to sponsor a full-time pavilion in Epcot, they just disappear for 2015?   Muy extraño.   TCD

Oh and for those that are wondering what happened to Argentina - in particular that incredibly yummy beef on a stick with chimichurri and Xingu black beer - it's now called "Patagonia."  :rolleyes:

Ahem.

Get with the times, Mo.

Patagonia debuted last year:

At this point, we have just two food booths left.  Patagonia and Terra.

So, I hoped Patagonia had something I could eat:

10414130_zpscefeb106.jpg

Before we get to that, let me ask you something.

Have you ever heard of Patagonia?

I know there's a clothing line with that name.  I only know that because one of the TCD girls wanted a jacket from there for Christmas last year.

But, did you that there's a place called Patagonia?

I didn't.

Never heard of it.

It's the name of the southern tip of South America.  Which is shared by Argentina and Chile.

I never knew that.

So, the Food and Wine Festival is educational.

I knew from prior visits to this year's Food and Wine Festival that they had meat on a stick at this booth.  I had seen it.  I wasn't sure what kind of meat it was, but I was willing to give it a go.  I knew there would be no meat at Terra.  Probably no sticks either.  So Patagonia it was.  Here I am in line- I think you can see the menu over there and that it tells us that they are selling grilled beef skewers. That works for me:

10414131_zps33bdad58.jpg

And here's my meat on a stick.  I didn't know they were going to pour that green stuff on it.  But, I wasn't surprised:

10414132_zps81f0a8f3.jpg

Luckily, the green stuff didn't have a strong flavor.  So, the meat on a stick was a win.

I was glad I didn't have to have a hot dog.

TCD

I didn't realize that you totally missed it. I thought you caught the tail end of it.

You've got a lot of catching up to do then.

And you missed Puerto Rico.

TCD

Sooooooo much catching up to do! 

I'm liking the number of beer/cider/other flights this year.  So many new things to try!  :)

It's sad that you won't get a chance to enjoy the Gasolina Sangriiia and the Fried Plantains:

But, I came here to try a couple of things, so that meant I was going to have to stand in line somewhere. I decided that today would be the day I tried the new Puerto Rico booth:

10414060_zps7f99d36f.jpg

I got at the end of this line:

10414061_zpsf2309ef6.jpg

A bit of the Flower and Garden Festival has rubbed off on the Food and Wine Festival, as some of the booths have plantings around them that coincide with the country represented. Here, we have rice and some other crops which are allegedly grown in PR:

10414062_zps88cee956.jpg

The PR line moved very very lento:

10414063_zps1685cbbd.jpg

As I stood there, it dawned on me that I had no idea what I would order here. And, that's when it further dawned on me that I had forgotten my passport. So, I wasn't going to get a PR stamp today, even after waiting in this long line.

Phooey.

This PR booth, and the tables and area around it are very nice:

10414065_zps93ea8233.jpg

There was a sign posted there which listed what they have for sale at the booth. My photo of it came out blurry, so here's the Puerto Rico passport page which I posted earlier, so you can see what I had to choose from:

2014foodandwine002_zps89a7beac.jpg

As mentioned, I wasn't particularly hungry. So, I decided that I would go with what they have listed there as Frituras. I have no idea what that is, but the two bullet points beneath that word mention Bolitas de Papa, Crispy Fried Potato Balls, and Tostones, Fried Green Plantains with Mayo Ketchup. The description was confusing, but I figured I could handle some potato balls and some plantains. What could go wrong?

And, since it was 5 o'clock-ish, I figured I could have one or two drinks this afternoon. That Gasolina Sangriiia Cocktail caught my eye. I've never (intentionally) drank gasoline before, nor have I ever, as far as I know, consumed sangria with three "I's," so I decided to go for that.

But, first I had to wait some more.

I surveyed the area to see where I might stop to eat my fried food and gasolina, and saw that a trash can top was available. Perfect:

10414066_zps41a91602.jpg

Hey- the monorail-cool!:

10414067_zps58498122.jpg

Finally, I got to order. And, then I had to wait while the inefficient CM's slowly handed the items purchased by the guests in front of me to them:

10414068_zps791c06a0.jpg

After all of that, this is what I ended up with:

10414069_zps5e856128.jpg

Do you see that?

There are three disks of some type of fried substance there, with what might be a slice of plantain in the middle. What the Fort?

I tried a bite.

It's hard for me to describe the taste, because it basically tasted like nothing. Maybe like the inside of a plain baked potato? Only with less flavor. If these things had been fried, it wasn't recently. They were not greasy. If I had to guess, I would say that these patties had been baked in an oven. Somehow, that plantain slice had no flavor either. The mayo ketchup wasn't bad, but I think it was just mayonnaise and ketchup mixed together. I don't know what made me expect something more.

The gasolina tasted like plain sangria. With one "I." I wasn't disappointed, but I also didn't feel like I had gotten anything unique.

Oh well, at least I had a nice spot to chew, chew, chew, and try to swallow whatever it was that I was eating. The gasolina helped me to get it down:

10414070_zps20b739b1.jpg

I still have no idea what I ate. My receipt said it was "Potato n Tostones" Nothing about plantains on the receipt:

10414071_zpscab82002.jpg

Also-note that Sangria is spelled with only one "I" there on the receipt. Is it a typo on the passport? Or is that how they spell sangria in PR?

This is the first thing that I have eaten at this year's Food and Wine Festival that I would not choose to eat again. It was truly bad. Way worse than the CraB'less CraB Cake. Way worse than a Tofu cupcake. So please remember that.

But, I will say that those things filled me up. I imagined that they were soaking up all the gasolina and expanding in my stomach. At least that's what it felt like.

Time to move on.

TCD

I do enjoy some good tostones, but after all that it's a shame those weren't.

Given how bad those were, I can only imagine how the conch salad was.   :rolleyes:

I don't think I'm sad to have missed this.  Let's hope the return of Dominican Republic fills the gap.  Their menu sounds pretty yummy!

I need some Fiend input.

Trying to decide if we want to do any of the seminars and/or special events this year during Food & Wine, but would love to hear from folks that have done these in the past before making up my mind.

A lot of these are pricey, and I'd like to have an idea of what all we'd be getting before I see if I can work them into the budget.

In particular, has anyone ever attended the Party for the Senses?

DFB answers a question I actually had about a bunch of info that seems to be missing from the official F&W info so far...

Why aren’t all of the special events showing on the Disney World website? Are they still happening?

No worries! Yep — they’re happening.

Many of the events that were announced at the recent Tables in Wonderland Food and Wine Festival Preview event are still not showing up on Disney’s site. For example, the super popular Parisian Breakfast is nowhere to be found on DisneyWorld.com.

But we’re hearing that they’ve experienced a few technical difficulties, and we can assure you that these events ARE happening. So stay tuned to Disney Food Blog, and we’ll have any lingering details about the events as soon as they’re available.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/07/17/most-recent-2015-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-questions-answered/

Disney having technical difficulties with their website??  That never happens.  B)

The sangria was GROSS. 

That's a crying shame. How do you mess up sangria?

Throw a bunch of fruit in a pitcher with moscato or sweet red wine and some brandy.  Done!

I made some yesterday with moscato and apricot brandy and all the random fruit stragglers in the fridge.  Easy peasy.

News! 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Culinary Demos and Beverage Seminar Details

July 22, 2015

By AJ

Welcome to the Disney Food Blog. If you enjoy this post, you should check out the tour of the site to see all the great Disney Food information we have.

Today, we are excited to share details for the Culinary Demonstrations and Beverage Seminars that will take place during the 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival!

Just in time to make all of your plans (whew!!), we now have details on the low-cost demos and seminars that are one of the hallmarks of the Festival. I know you’re just as anxious as we are to see what’s new as we celebrate the Festival’s 20th Year!

Booking all of your favorites starts in just a few days — July 30th for the general public, and July 24th for Annual Passholders, DVC members, Golden Oak Residents, and Tables in Wonderland Members!

Culinary demos and beverage seminars represent great value when it comes to Festival events. They’re also a great way to learn in a fun, festive setting.

Click through to our Culinary and Beverage Seminars and Demonstrations page to see links to the Culinary, Beverage, and Mixology events.

The cost for all seminars and demos is $15 again this year, and the events feature a wide range of talent from the culinary world. (Annual Passholders, DVC members, Golden Oak Residents, and Tables in Wonderland Members are eligible for $2 discounts on seminars and demonstrations held Monday through Thursday.)

Full article with more info and photos...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/07/22/news-2015-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-culinary-demos-and-beverage-seminar-details/

The popular Chef TJ (currently of Fort fame) will be participating...

Monday, October 26, 2015
5:00 PM Tj Sudiswa, Trails End Restaurant, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground Duck

Monday, November 16, 2015
1:00 PM Tj Sudiswa, Trails End Restaurant, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground Duck

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-culinary-demos/

From Disney Food Blog...

Chase Disney Visa Cardmembers will be able to book ALL Food and Wine Festival Events beginning at 7:00AM on Tuesday, July 28th. This includes Special Events such as the Party for the Senses and the brand new Rockin’ Burger Block Party as well as Low-Cost Seminars and Demonstrations.

Full article...
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/07/24/news-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-early-booking-details-for-chase-disney-visa-cardmembers/

News! Three New Epcot Food and Wine Festival Events Exclusively for Chase Disney Visa Cardmembers

July 24, 2015

By AJ

So, earlier today we brought Disney Chase Visa Cardmembers the good news that Cardholders are eligible for early booking for Special Events and Low-Cost Seminars and Demonstrations for the 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival on July 28th.

Well, now we have even MORE good news for Cardmembers. It has just been announced that THREE unique events have been added to the Food and Wine Festival, and they are EXCLUSIVELY for Disney Chase Visa Cardmembers!

The special events include:

Brews, Breakfast and More

On September 28 from 8:30 – 10:30 am, guests at Brews, Breakfast, and More will enjoy a three-course breakfast utilizing beer as both an ingredient and a pairing, while learning about “beer styles and brewing processes that date back to ancient Babylon and Egypt.”

An element of the dishes will be the use of Passport 20 Belgian Tripel Ale, a “complex beer featuring 20 ingredients to celebrate 20 years” of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. This brew offers the distinction of including 11 ingredients to represent each one of the World Showcase countries along with one ingredient representing Florida. Among other courses, the menu will include Liquid-Nitrogen Fried “Smoking” S’mores.

Cost: $89 per guest (plus tax)

The Making of Party for the Senses

On October 27th from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm, guests will enjoy learning how “The Party for the Senses” comes to life through the culinary team that helps to create it. Lunch is to be paired with beverages in the Wine View Lounge.

The menu will include Malbec Demi-braised Pork Chops with Shaved Truffles, a Micro Green Salad, and a Roasted Corn Button Dessert, among others. A dessert station will also play a part, highlighting dishes from the Party’s pastry chefs.

Cost: $125 per guest (plus tax)

The Creation of Food and Wine Marketplaces

On November 9th from 8 – 9:30 am, guests will start the day with breakfast (including a sparkling wine toast) on the World Showcase Promenade while meeting with a Festival Chef, Beverage Professional, and Disney Imagineer who will provide a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of each Festival Marketplace Booth and its menu.

The menu will include Beef Tenderloin and Yukon Gold Hash topped with eggs and Hollandaise paired with maple-cured pork belly and onion jam. The morning will end with a New England Lobster Roll and a taste from the Hops & Barley Festival Booth, among other inclusions.

Cost: $99 per guest (plus tax)

Interested guests may use their Disney Visa Card to book these special events NOW by calling 407-939-1870.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/07/24/news-three-new-epcot-food-and-wine-festival-events-exclusively-for-chase-disney-visa-cardmembers/

Rut roh -- that new Dooney & Bourke pattern is calling my name!  B)

From the Disney Parks Blog...

First Look at Commemorative Products for 20th Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
posted on July 27th, 2015 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

NFAWM74581-613x613.jpg

The countdown is on to the start of my favorite event at Walt Disney World Resort – the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival. The festival opens September 25 and runs through November 16, and will feature more than 30 global marketplaces (including some new experiences in Future World.) This year also marks the 20th time this event has been held at Epcot. Here is a first look at some of the merchandise commemorating this milestone anniversary.

NFAWM74582-613x613.jpg

There are three distinct art programs for this year’s merchandise. The World Showcase logo program includes icons from each of the 11 pavilions. The Disney character program will feature Mickey Mouse and, my favorite, Figment dressed as chefs. We will also offer a “Brews Around the World” assortment, a returning favorite from previous years.

NFAWM74583-613x613.jpg

Other returning favorite items include Vinylmation of the Swedish Chef from The Muppets, collectible pins on recipe cards, and three new Dooney & Bourke handbags. Guests will also find drinkware, four different appetizer plates, and some holiday ornaments.

NFAWM74584-613x613.jpg

I love the coffee mug that uses Figment’s tail as the handle. I also thought the bottle opener on the “Brews Around the World” baseball cap was creative. Finally, I was happy to see salt and pepper shaker trash cans which were inspired by items released last year in Disney Centerpiece at the Marketplace Co-Op.

NFAWM74585-613x613.jpg

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for details about a new activity called “Remy’s Ratatouille Hide & Squeak” that includes limited release pins.

The best place to find many of these items starting September 25 will be in the Festival Center. This location will be found in Future World between Universe of Energy and Mission: SPACE pavilions. Additional merchandise locations throughout World Showcase will also carry select items. There are no plans at this time to carry these items on our Disney Parks online store.