• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rick Springfield will be there on October 12th & 13th. We leave on the 11th. Surely Steve could travel back home alone with the girls.

The Disney Parks Blog just posted that the Food and Wine food booths will be expanding in to Future World this year:   http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/07/20th-epcot-international-food-wine-

So after the big splash made by Puerto Rico in 2014, including rumors that Puerto Rico wanted to sponsor a full-time pavilion in Epcot, they just disappear for 2015?   Muy extraño.   TCD

Well, I finally made it over to Epcot for a couple of hours on Sunday night, and can add a few observations.

My oldest daughter was in the Orlando/Jacksonville area for the past week and a half, and finally had an open evening.   Her new job has kept her much busier than any of us thought.  But, I'm glad that she had some free time so we could hit up Food and Wine.

The first place we stopped was at the new booths associated with the ABC show "The Chew."  I wasn't quite sure where these were located- but they're right on the spot where the butterfly garden is set up for the Flower and Garden Festival.

Earlier in this thread, I questioned whether this photo accurately portrayed the new steak dish they're serving in the Chew Lab booth:

Food-and-Wine-Festival-Marketplace---CHE

To my surprise, my steak looked pretty close to that:

10%2011%2015%20177_zpsxszospi8.jpg

I am surprised that they are serving it so rare.  The little piece of filet they serve in Canada is always cooked to death.  I liked the New York Strip.  My two little pieces were not fatty at all.  But they were little.  It was a good item.

We also tried the liquid nitro chocolate cake here.  That item is a winner.  It's really good.  I'd say it's one of the best items they have at the entire festival.

We headed down the path where they've set up playgrounds for past festivals, and saw that instead of a big playground, they have a cheese booth and a wine booth, and a really nice area to enjoy those items:

10%2011%2015%20179_zpsd7su8e52.jpg

We stopped at the Domincan Republic booth- which is in the same spot that the Puerto Rico booth was last year.  It's a very nice booth, and the area around it is nice too.  I tried the Lechon Asado (roast pork), and it was excellent, and a good sized portion:

10%2011%2015%20180_zpsmyovblxn.jpg

The Scotland booth was in a new place, and not very close to the UK area:

10%2011%2015%20181_zpszvoosk7o.jpg

The Farm Fresh booth has moved to the prime spot where they have had that dumb vegan booth the past couple of festivals.  That's not good, because everyone stops there now, and the line was long:

10%2011%2015%20185_zpstsn4f4fx.jpg

I tried the new loaded mac and cheese, and agree with the Tampa Bay Times that it's one of the best dishes this year:

10%2011%2015%20186_zps4j1x1trg.jpg

Next, we stopped at Mexico.  As we were touring, a guest told us that we needed to be sure to try the new chilaquilles de pollo they are serving here this year.  So we did.  This is it:

10%2011%2015%20188_zpsn6rbixxt.jpg

That is a great dish.  It kind of tastes like a chicken taco, but it's made like some kind of a casserole.

We also tried the shrimp taco here.  I had already swiped one of the shrimp before I took this photo.  It was excellent:

10%2011%2015%20187_zpsrofudgcf.jpg

We skipped China, Korea, and Africa and stopped next in Germany.  I had to get one of these:

10%2011%2015%20194_zpszdugdqng.jpg

No complaints on the sausage on the pretzel roll.  At past festivals, the pretzel rolls have been stale.  But this one was fine.

Also, they serve the grapefruit beer on tap right at the Trinken stand, so no need to stand in the long line in the Bier Garten:

10%2011%2015%20196_zpsq7rwkckp.jpg

We were pretty full at this point, but we did stop at France for a crème brule.  They have two lines at France now, on separate sides of the booth.  We were lucky and had no wait.  This is usually a very busy booth, so the two lines helped.

The last item I forced myself to eat was a Fisherman's Pie from Ireland.  They've improved things here, as there was no wait to get the food.  That booth has had efficiency problems in the past, but not on the night we visited.

We were only there for a couple of hours, and headed out before Illuminations to beat the crowds out of the park.

Although I hate the increased costs and smaller portion sizes, it was an enjoyable evening, and I would have to say that the food quality and service is improved over past years.

Now,  I just need to figure out when I can go back!

TCD

Well, I finally made it over to Epcot for a couple of hours on Sunday night, and can add a few observations.

My oldest daughter was in the Orlando/Jacksonville area for the past week and a half, and finally had an open evening.   Her new job has kept her much busier than any of us thought.  But, I'm glad that she had some free time so we could hit up Food and Wine.

The first place we stopped was at the new booths associated with the ABC show "The Chew."  I wasn't quite sure where these were located- but they're right on the spot where the butterfly garden is set up for the Flower and Garden Festival.

Earlier in this thread, I questioned whether this photo accurately portrayed the new steak dish they're serving in the Chew Lab booth:

Food-and-Wine-Festival-Marketplace---CHE

To my surprise, my steak looked pretty close to that:

10%2011%2015%20177_zpsxszospi8.jpg

I am surprised that they are serving it so rare.  The little piece of filet they serve in Canada is always cooked to death.  I liked the New York Strip.  My two little pieces were not fatty at all.  But they were little.  It was a good item.

We also tried the liquid nitro chocolate cake here.  That item is a winner.  It's really good.  I'd say it's one of the best items they have at the entire festival.

We headed down the path where they've set up playgrounds for past festivals, and saw that instead of a big playground, they have a cheese booth and a wine booth, and a really nice area to enjoy those items:

10%2011%2015%20179_zpsd7su8e52.jpg

We stopped at the Domincan Republic booth- which is in the same spot that the Puerto Rico booth was last year.  It's a very nice booth, and the area around it is nice too.  I tried the Lechon Asado (roast pork), and it was excellent, and a good sized portion:

10%2011%2015%20180_zpsmyovblxn.jpg

The Scotland booth was in a new place, and not very close to the UK area:

10%2011%2015%20181_zpszvoosk7o.jpg

The Farm Fresh booth has moved to the prime spot where they have had that dumb vegan booth the past couple of festivals.  That's not good, because everyone stops there now, and the line was long:

10%2011%2015%20185_zpstsn4f4fx.jpg

I tried the new loaded mac and cheese, and agree with the Tampa Bay Times that it's one of the best dishes this year:

10%2011%2015%20186_zps4j1x1trg.jpg

Next, we stopped at Mexico.  As we were touring, a guest told us that we needed to be sure to try the new chilaquilles de pollo they are serving here this year.  So we did.  This is it:

10%2011%2015%20188_zpsn6rbixxt.jpg

That is a great dish.  It kind of tastes like a chicken taco, but it's made like some kind of a casserole.

We also tried the shrimp taco here.  I had already swiped one of the shrimp before I took this photo.  It was excellent:

10%2011%2015%20187_zpsrofudgcf.jpg

We skipped China, Korea, and Africa and stopped next in Germany.  I had to get one of these:

10%2011%2015%20194_zpszdugdqng.jpg

No complaints on the sausage on the pretzel roll.  At past festivals, the pretzel rolls have been stale.  But this one was fine.

Also, they serve the grapefruit beer on tap right at the Trinken stand, so no need to stand in the long line in the Bier Garten:

10%2011%2015%20196_zpsq7rwkckp.jpg

We were pretty full at this point, but we did stop at France for a crème brule.  They have two lines at France now, on separate sides of the booth.  We were lucky and had no wait.  This is usually a very busy booth, so the two lines helped.

The last item I forced myself to eat was a Fisherman's Pie from Ireland.  They've improved things here, as there was no wait to get the food.  That booth has had efficiency problems in the past, but not on the night we visited.

We were only there for a couple of hours, and headed out before Illuminations to beat the crowds out of the park.

Although I hate the increased costs and smaller portion sizes, it was an enjoyable evening, and I would have to say that the food quality and service is improved over past years.

Now,  I just need to figure out when I can go back!

TCD

How was the Fishermans Pie?

My granddaughter likes seafood, she had the salmon from Chew Labs, and tried my Australian shrimp and the Dominican grouper.

She really enjoyed the seafood mac and cheese at the Columbia Harbor House at Liberty Square.

How was the Fishermans Pie?

My granddaughter likes seafood, she had the salmon from Chew Labs, and tried my Australian shrimp and the Dominican grouper.

She really enjoyed the seafood mac and cheese at the Columbia Harbor House at Liberty Square.

The Fisherman's Pie has always been one of my favorite things at Food and Wine, and it was great this year.

I highly recommend it.

If you're looking for seafood, the shrimp taco from Mexico was also very good.

I can't get past the first picture. That green foam looks like cat barf when they eat grass. I think I have to read this from the bottom up. That picture needs to be censored lol

I know.  I like rare beef, but Mrs. TCD can't stand the sight of it.  She would say the same thing about that dish, and I think there are a lot of people who would agree with the two of you.  Like I said, I am really surprised that they are serving it so rare.  I thought there were food safety issues that would make it safer to serve it well done.

TCD

The Fisherman's Pie has always been one of my favorite things at Food and Wine, and it was great this year.

I highly recommend it.

If you're looking for seafood, the shrimp taco from Mexico was also very good.

I know.  I like rare beef, but Mrs. TCD can't stand the sight of it.  She would say the same thing about that dish, and I think there are a lot of people who would agree with the two of you.  Like I said, I am really surprised that they are serving it so rare.  I thought there were food safety issues that would make it safer to serve it well done.

TCD

Thanks for the seafood tips.

I think she would eat at every stand if we and our checking account allowed her.

Was the steak really rare, or is it the way it was scientifically prepared?

Remember, it's a "Lab".

Thanks for the photos/review, TCD!!

I won't get the grapefruit beer because I don't knowingly like to consume insects.

Aw... where's your sense of adventure?  :rofl2:

What the fort - don't go on the weekend. Unless you get there at 11 am. The groups of drunks in their matching t-shirts rival the brazilian tour groups in their numbers and presence. Holy crowded, Batman. Lines 40-60 people deep at some of the booths.

That's how it was on Saturday 10/3.

We went again on Columbus Day, got in about 3:30, World Showcase walkways were crowded, but no lines at the booths.

Crowd started ratcheting up after 3 on Friday, we skipped out and went to Trader Sam's. Walked back through around 10 and WS was packed.

Scooted through on Saturday afternoon to cut from the Boardwalk to the monorail (and to get my 3rd stamp and free port glass :cheers: :cheers: ) and it was mobbed with the aforementioned t-shirt packs. We didn't go yesterday, hit MK in the morning instead and then had a few beers at the Luna pool bar before catching DME for MCO.

That beef was probably SousVide. Makes for a very taste bite of meat.

I didn't know what SousVide was, so I had to Google it.  You might be right, as the booth is supposed to present alternative food preparation techniques.  And the beef is served very rare.

I haven't seen anything official describing how the beef is cooked.  It sounds like a good reason for me to go back to that booth and ask.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...