Show me your Mickey light... Trying to decide on ear size

I have the smaller ears.  However, I cannot show you ours right now.  It took a fall and is in repair mode.

I guess it is personal preference.  I am debating on getting the bigger ears for it.  Thinking, thinking.

Edit: We have the 12" globe.  I have seen the larger ears on the 12inchers and they are "growing" on me.

I went with the 8" ears on a 12" center globe, just because I thought it looked better.

Here's some blurry pictures from our last trip at the fort:

20141122_210002.jpg

IMAG2524.jpg

20141124_072856.jpg

Mine is also setup where I can use three lights, one in each globe. Let me know if you have any questions.

WBI

The correct proportion is the ears are to be 3/4's the size of the head. So if a 12 inch head, then 8 inch ears. If a 16 inch head, then 12 inch ears.

I was just Googling this exact thing. :)

That is true if mickeys ears were round like his head. But there not. His ears are oval. If you measure from his head to the top of his ear it's 1/2 the size of his head. If you measure across its 3/4.

Look at any official silhouette you have. His ears are oval. At least every silhouette I have at my house is. Lol

Go to Disneyworld.com and look at the silhouettes. There all oval. Unless y'all found an official site that says different.

So I think it's a matter of what you think looks best.

I let Jason know that he's building me one for Valentine's Day last night! Ha ha ha 

Will a 6 inch polyethylene globe stick to an acrylic globe? I can't find a 6 inch acrylic. 

Kelly

Gluing the ears was the hardest part for me as I could only find the polyethelyne globe in 6" like you are finding.  I did use the loctite glue as receommended in the instructions, but it does not adhere the best to polyethelyne.  What I did was glue both the outside and the inside sections to make a tighter bond.  For extra security I also took 2 wider zip ties and placed those on the inside of the 12" globe around the wide part of the 6" globes since those have the base on them.  You would repeat for the 2nd ear.  The tabs of the zip tabs act like anchors and this "locked" them in tighter and will hopefully not allow the ears to fall off. 

Kelly

Gluing the ears was the hardest part for me as I could only find the polyethelyne globe in 6" like you are finding.  I did use the loctite glue as receommended in the instructions, but it does not adhere the best to polyethelyne.  What I did was glue both the outside and the inside sections to make a tighter bond.  For extra security I also took 2 wider zip ties and placed those on the inside of the 12" globe around the wide part of the 6" globes since those have the base on them.  You would repeat for the 2nd ear.  The tabs of the zip tabs act like anchors and this "locked" them in tighter and will hopefully not allow the ears to fall off. 

Would clear epoxy work?

What I did was glue both the outside and the inside sections to make a tighter bond.  For extra security I also took 2 wider zip ties and placed those on the inside of the 12" globe around the wide part of the 6" globes since those have the base on them.  You would repeat for the 2nd ear.  The tabs of the zip tabs act like anchors and this "locked" them in tighter and will hopefully not allow the ears to fall off. 

This!

Kelly:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-6-in-White-Polyethylene-Globe-8190500/203066112

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-6-in-White-Polycarbonate-Globe-8186900/203066170

We used two different manufacturers for ours.  So far, so good..

Hmmm.... all the directions I see are for 12 inch globes. Some do use the 8 inch on 12 inch. Some people use a 16 inch head?

I can only find 8 inch acrylic globes on HD's website. No 6 inch anymore. 

Those aren't acrylic though. You haven't had any problems with the bond?