Yes, I know this may get hijacked  :rolleyes:

So... two trailers.  Both have a dry weight of 6000 lbs:  one is 33' and the other is 36'.

Do you think the length makes a difference in towing?  If we buy a newer TT, we will buy a new hitch (leaning towards the Hensley).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually live about 30 minutes south of where the ProPride hitch warehouse is located.  When we purchased ours, I just called up Sean (the owner, formerly with Hensley) and drove up there and picked

I like the one your husband likes - but counter space matters to me in a camper and the islands just make me happy on the inside. Which one is your favorite? Wouldn't it be nice if you could go and de

I designed a 20' overall length camper using Visio. But never pursued how to build it. It was fun to play around and see what kind of limitations there were.   Camper Design - sleep 6, under 20'

What's the gross weight of the trailers? That could have a large effect if they are significantly different and you load them up close to their GVW. Tongue weight might also be a factor depending upon the difference in stuff you can load in front of the trailer axles. In general a bigger trailer means room for more stuff which adds weight.

I can't speak to the length differences but 3 feet seems like it is enough to make a difference in handling with a shorter tow vehicle. It might also be enough of a difference to effect ability to use some older campgrounds and sites.

Towing-wise, I doubt you'll see a difference.

Finding camp-sites that you fit in, that could potentially be an issue depending on what type of camping you enjoy.

And, as Keith pointed out- the tongue weights will be different.

For me, above everything else- floorplan was all important. We had a list of 5 or 6 "must haves" and 3 or 4 "must not haves". But, I'm lucky that we were able to buy the truck and camper at the same time.

Tongue weight is within 50lbs of each other... so not a huge factor there.  Both are well under the 910 our truck is rated for.

Don't shake your head too hard, but is the GVW the trailer plus all the stuff (personal items) inside?  If so, that would be the same for us with either trailer. 

Our wheelbase is shorter at 123", which was my concern with a longer trailer however... if we understand our research correctly, the Hensley will help tremendously. 

Towing-wise, I doubt you'll see a difference.

Finding camp-sites that you fit in, that could potentially be an issue depending on what type of camping you enjoy.

And, as Keith pointed out- the tongue weights will be different.

For me, above everything else- floorplan was all important. We had a list of 5 or 6 "must haves" and 3 or 4 "must not haves". But, I'm lucky that we were able to buy the truck and camper at the same time.

Thanks.  Was typing as you were responding.  The main places we camp, I've seen large Class A's there... so I think we'd be okay however, I do know that some state parks (and KOAs) would be tough.

X2 as to what Doug said and yes GVW is weight of the trailer plus the stuff inside, water in tank etc.

I agree. The GVWR stands for "gross vehicle weight rating" and includes anything in or on the camper. Basically, you take the dry weight, any factory options (optional and mandatory), anything the dealer adds (propane, battery, etc), and then anything you put into it (including water in the various tanks, clothes, kitchen stuff, campsite essentials, etc).

Now, it's only a worry while you're going down the road. For trailers, you don't need to worry about you and the family's weights in the camper's GVWR.

I've not seen anything negative about the Hensleys except for price. I think you'll like it!

The gross vehicle weight is the maximum weight allowed for the trailer and the cargo it carries. I only bring it up as people tend to add more things to a trailer as time goes by. If one trailer can carry a 1000 lbs more than the other that means you can end up with more weight than expected a year, two or three down the line. Five pounds here and five pounds there can add up quickly and all of a sudden you are at the maximum for your TV and having to decide what do you leave behind. Just something to keep in mind. Also since you are looking at a new TV down the line it might be better to get the trailer that can handle more cargo now and just keep a closer eye on your current weight knowing you will have more capacity in a few years. 

Thanks fiends... helpful as always.  We will be careful about how much we load in the trailer, but as I said... we actually do pack pretty light, including dry tanks, but good thought on the propane... never thought to measure that in.  Scales.  Very novice question but... where do you go, to weigh your trailer?  

Going from towing 24' to 33' sounded like a big enough jump to me... but Tom likes a model that is closer to 36'.  His thought was the extra 3' probably wouldn't make a huge difference... sounds like he might be right (shhh...don't tell him ;) ).

Thanks fiends... helpful as always.  We will be careful about how much we load in the trailer, but as I said... we actually do pack pretty light, including dry tanks, but good thought on the propane... never thought to measure that in.  Scales.  Very novice question but... where do you go, to weigh your trailer?  

You should go to pretty much any truck stop along the highway. Or, if you're in a more rural area- bulk agriculture supplies, grain houses, and even dumps have scales. If you go to a truck stop, they'll have scales setup to weigh each axle (the truck's front wheels, rear wheels, and camper's wheels).

Here's something that might help:

How to weight your travel trailer

Depending on the manufacturer propane and all options may already be figured in when it leaves the factory.

JAYCO for example tells you how much you can add including water. On our FW they even added the gas for the geny to give us that number.53ceba694599c109e3f39026ab748d70.jpg

Depending on the manufacturer propane and all options may already be figured in when it leaves the factory.

JAYCO for example tells you how much you can add including water. On our FW they even added the gas for the geny to give us that number.

That's really cool. I've never seen a yellow sticker that included the propane weight before.

JAYCO for example tells you how much you can add including water. On our FW they even added the gas for the geny to give us that number.53ceba694599c109e3f39026ab748d70.jpg

Thank you...

You should go to pretty much any truck stop along the highway. Or, if you're in a more rural area- bulk agriculture supplies, grain houses, and even dumps have scales. If you go to a truck stop, they'll have scales setup to weigh each axle (the truck's front wheels, rear wheels, and camper's wheels).

Here's something that might help:

How to weight your travel trailer

Thanks for the link :)   My first thought was a truck stop on the hwy, but I've never seen a personal vehicle on one...so I wasn't sure.

Well, before the hijacking begins.......

If you are looking at the Hensley, save a few dollars and go with the Pro Pride.  I will just give you the first sentence in the story of Jim Hensley.

Jim Hensley is the inventor of the Hensley Arrow hitch and the ProPride 3P hitch. He has been awarded hitch patents, which he has always owned, and licensed them to Hensley Mfg. and ProPride, Inc.  Below is his story...

The Pro Pride is an "updated" design by Jim Hensley.  Not that the Arrow is bad, they are both great.  You will save money on the Pro Pride and their service is excellent.  They even gave me a cell phone number to give to the installer so if he had any questions he could get an answer anytime.  I will say to anyone, don't tow a long trailer without one of these hitches.

Where are you looking at buying?  My favorite is Peco Campers , just east of Atlanta.  We purchased our last trailer there.  We had the Pro Pride shipped direct to them and as soon as our trailer came in (special order) they installed it so that on delivery day we could make adjustments and do the walk through.

As to size, our current trailer is a Coachmen Freedom Express 297 RLDS which says it is 35' 2".  I tow with an F-250 6.0l Diesel and can't imagine towing anything larger....

Now, let the hijacking begin..........................

Well, before the hijacking begins.......

If you are looking at the Hensley, save a few dollars and go with the Pro Pride.  I will just give you the first sentence in the story of Jim Hensley.

The Pro Pride is an "updated" design by Jim Hensley.  Not that the Arrow is bad, they are both great.  You will save money on the Pro Pride and their service is excellent.  They even gave me a cell phone number to give to the installer so if he had any questions he could get an answer anytime.  I will say to anyone, don't tow a long trailer without one of these hitches.

Where are you looking at buying?  My favorite is Peco Campers , just east of Atlanta.  We purchased our last trailer there.  We had the Pro Pride shipped direct to them and as soon as our trailer came in (special order) they installed it so that on delivery day we could make adjustments and do the walk through.

As to size, our current trailer is a Coachmen Freedom Express 297 RLDS which says it is 35' 2".  I tow with an F-250 6.0l Diesel and can't imagine towing anything larger....

Now, let the hijacking begin..........................

We had actually read that about Pro Pride; for some reason, Tom was still leaning towards the Hensley... for the life of me, I don't remember why.

We would actually really like to buy from Three Way Campers in Marietta however...unfortunately, they don't carry the floorplans/brands we are looking at.  Ironically, Peco's does carry the (get this) Coachmen that we are looking at :)   Good to hear that you had a good experience with them.   Do you remember how much they charged you to install the ProPride? How much did you negotiate off of their "sale" price?

We had actually read that about Pro Pride; for some reason, Tom was still leaning towards the Hensley... for the life of me, I don't remember why.

We would actually really like to buy from Three Way Campers in Marietta however...unfortunately, they don't carry the floorplans/brands we are looking at.  Ironically, Peco's does carry the (get this) Coachmen that we are looking at :)   Good to hear that you had a good experience with them.   Do you remember how much they charged you to install the ProPride? How much did you negotiate off of their "sale" price?

Well, everything I was going to say about Peco I have to forget.  They were a family run business and we bought two trailers there and had great service.  But, I just discovered they were sold and have new owners as of January 1.  So, I guess I can't answer your questions about Peco anymore.  Campers Inn Acquires Ga.-Based Peco Campers

Tell Tom to go with the Pro Pride.  It's easier to adjust up an down, the "stinger" that connects the two half's of the hitch is tapered so it is easier to back into the hitch and several other reasons.

Here is a YouTube video of hook up

I guess for most of you in the south, the extra length won't matter, but up here in the hills of PA, that means overhang, and overhang means dragging on every little hill. I have to purchase trailers that sit up nice and high so I can get them into my uphill slope driveway. An extra 3 feet would be most likely necessitate some major wood blocking to get it home. Not to mention a case of the draggin ace.

I actually live about 30 minutes south of where the ProPride hitch warehouse is located.  When we purchased ours, I just called up Sean (the owner, formerly with Hensley) and drove up there and picked up my hitch.  We have since sold the hitch since we now have a motorhome, but it was a pretty nice hitch.  We had a 35 foot trailer with a lot of sway and this hitch helped tame the beast.  If there's any questions about the hitch you may have, I would be glad to answer them for you.

Well, everything I was going to say about Peco I have to forget.  They were a family run business and we bought two trailers there and had great service.  But, I just discovered they were sold and have new owners as of January 1.  So, I guess I can't answer your questions about Peco anymore.  Campers Inn Acquires Ga.-Based Peco Campers

Tell Tom to go with the Pro Pride.  It's easier to adjust up an down, the "stinger" that connects the two half's of the hitch is tapered so it is easier to back into the hitch and several other reasons.

Here is a YouTube video of hook up

Thanks for the advise.... I'll pass along your thoughts and the video :)

I actually live about 30 minutes south of where the ProPride hitch warehouse is located.  When we purchased ours, I just called up Sean (the owner, formerly with Hensley) and drove up there and picked up my hitch.  We have since sold the hitch since we now have a motorhome, but it was a pretty nice hitch.  We had a 35 foot trailer with a lot of sway and this hitch helped tame the beast.  If there's any questions about the hitch you may have, I would be glad to answer them for you.

Thank you!! :)

Yup, Sean is a great guy!!  He is the one who gave us his cell phone number for any issues.  I can attest to the fact that he answers it.  The installer had a question before my pick up and called around 6 to find that Sean answered the phone and helped him get it installed.

On th morning of my pick up (Saturday) there were some questions that arose after the test drive and again Sean answered the phone.

I know when I was deciding between Arrow & Pro Pride I sent several e-mails with questions.  I received answers from Sean at all hours of the night and weekends.

Now, which ever one you all choose, understand that there is a learning curve to using one of these hitches; mainly in the hook up department.  Take your time and don't get frustrated the first few times.  It gets quicker and easier each time you do it.  We have radios which allow the DW to talk me back without hand signals.  Even without the radios we are now at the point that when using hand signals both of us use all our fingers for signaling <_<    Many times I hook up alone and have found the Swift Hitch camera system a great asset.