Hello all, 

My Husband and I are wanting to plan a trip to Fort Wilderness in October. We will be there from Thursday-Sunday. We have never been to fort wilderness and need some advice on what to do and what to bring and what to expect. We have a pop-up camper and was thinking of staying in loop 2000. What would be the ideal site/sites to stay at on this loop? We are planning on going to Magic Kingdom one day then wanting to do/see things that do not cost a lot of money the other days. Any Advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

First of all Welsome!!! :welcome: 

There is soooo much free stuff to at WDW. Enjoy the campfire and movie nights at the Fort. Visit Downtown Disney, Explore all the different resorts, this is a favorite of mine as it can be very romantic.  Watch the fire works from the Fort Wilderness Beach. Catch the light parade from the beach as well. Rent a canoe or small boat, bike riding and walking trails are every where. Oh and one need not forget Looping, by bike or golf cart the folks at FW can reall decorate their sites and there is always something interesting to see.

First to the most important thing....  Welcome!!

Understand that loop/site requests are just that.  FW does not take site specific reservations.  Make sure that if you reserved on line that you give them a call and make sure your details are noted in the reservation.  Lengths, slide outs (yes, my pop up had a slide), awnings and any other detail including "why" you want a loop/sight.  Make your site selection known when you make your reservation so they can note it on your reservation.  You are much better off requesting the things you like about the site/loop rather than the site/loop itself. For example, if you like the site because it is near a comfort station, then request that, if you like it because it is in the back of the loop and is quieter request that. The problem with asking for a specific site/loop is that the site assigners really don't know why you wanted that site/loop. If your request  is not available they really don't know what you might find as a comparable site.

Follow up by faxing your request to FW about four days before arrival.

Now, on to things to do.  Wander around FW.  If you don't bring them, you can rent a bike to check out the campground.  Visit other resorts.   Once you check in and they give you your vehicle pass, parking is free at all the resorts and hotels.  Just tell the guard you are shopping or eating at that hotel, but don't abuse the parking privilege.  Wandering around Downtown Disney is neat if you can resist buying things.

Reedy Creek Fire & Rescue Station 1 does tours, might be fun for your family if you have any interest.

Thank you so much for this information thus far. Since we are going to the MK, should we purchase the magic bands (fast pass) and if so how do they work? We haven't been to Disney in over 10 years and don't know alot of how this new stuff works. If we are staying at the 2000 loop, how far is that by bike to things around the Fort? 

Welcome!

If you purchase your theme park ticket when you make your campground reservation, your MagicBand will be sent to you.  As "Grumpy" mentioned, you will get mail about customizing your bands.  If you buy your tickets separately, you will need to link them to your reservation through My Disney Experience.

For those staying on property who have a ticket linked to their reservation, there is the advantage of booking your FastPass+ (FP+) 60 days in advance.  If you are hoping to do any of the more popular attractions, this can be very helpful.   Hopefully things will have calmed down by then.  When I went last fall, I was up at 11:59pm on my 61st day out so as soon as the window opened at midnight, I could book my FP+ to meet Anna and Elsa.  I still couldn't get the time I wanted, but at least i was able to book it!  :lol:

Most people on this site prefer the 1500 loop, and I am one of them.  I often read reports of unsupervised children and/or loud adults on the 2000 loop.  Plus, I loved that it was so close to Sing-Along and Movie area.  No trouble to walk back to the site after the movie was over, even with tired children.

If you don't have kids and don't "have" to be close to all the entertainment, would you still stay in 1500 or go to 2000?  It will only be my and my husband and don't mind be "away from it all."  What is the difference between the two loops besides being closer to the entertainment? What is check out time at the Fort? 

If you don't have kids and don't "have" to be close to all the entertainment, would you still stay in 1500 or go to 2000? It will only be my and my husband and don't mind be "away from it all." What is the difference between the two loops besides being closer to the entertainment? What is check out time at the Fort?

The 1500 loop is quieter. They tend to put groups in the 2000 loop. My only stay there was not great. Imagine loud Boy Scouts running all over the place beginning at 6 am and until midnight.

Let me jump in, just DW and I in our 70s. We have a pop up and have stayed in both loops several times. There are more sites in 2000 meaning more people, however we do not prefer 1500 over 2000, have seen large groups in both, last time in 1500 there was a large group camping in three sited must have been at least 40 kids plus adults. Have seen same in 2000 loop so don't feel there is much difference as far as crowd problems being less in one or the other. 2000 has more comfort stations, 1500 has one shared with 1600 loop. I always request close to comfort station and have never been disappointed with either loop. We go 4-6 times a year

During the time that we stayed on the 2000 loop, we found that it is a roll of the dice situation, meaning that, at times it can be very crowded and noisy, or it can be normal like any other loop.  We were there last October 10th thru the 17th, staying in another loop and we biked through the 2000 loop several times during our stay and found it to be very calm and not at all crowded.  If you stay on the 2000 loop the best sites are the ones near the center of the loop as you come into it.  There is a bus stop on the loop near its exit and it can be noisy on that side.

As with the others here, I would choose the 1500 loop if available.

Hope you have a great experience, we may be back in October ourselves.

One of the nice things about The Fort is the ease of getting around not only it but WDW itself. My wife and I stayed in the 1300 loop which is by the Meadows Trading Post. This is about halfway between the main entrance and Pioneer Hall. The 1500 loop would put you about the same distance on the other side of the canal and Meadows Trading Post area. We frequently walked from our site to the boats or if we didn't feel like walking took the bus of which there were plenty (most of the time that is). Except for the one day we went to Downtown Disney so we could fill up the SUV stayed parked at our site and we used a combination of boats, buses and the Monorail to get around. 

Welcome!

Momof6~Marty has a great trip report where she and her family only spent one day at MK. It should give you an idea of other things you can do while there.

Could some one please share it in this thread?

Here you go! http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/924-trip-report/

Momof6, thank you so much for the pictures and post they look great!  900 loop is pet friendly? 

900 is a pet loop, and it's also a premium loop, which means you'll be paying $30+ a night more than you would for a partial hook-up site.

If money is a concern, then you need to think about whether you want to pay $30+ more a night for a campsite that has amenities you don't need for a pop-up camper.

TCD

Tri-Circle-D, Thank you very much! yes we do not need a premium site nor do we want to stay in a pet loop. We want the partial hookup sites for the least amount of money.

Another question: what time is Check-in and check-out?  And also, if we wanted to go explore the different resorts, how would we get there?

Tri-Circle-D, Thank you very much! yes we do not need a premium site nor do we want to stay in a pet loop. We want the partial hookup sites for the least amount of money.

Another question: what time is Check-in and check-out? And also, if we wanted to go explore the different resorts, how would we get there?

Exploring resorts depends on where you want to go. The easiest are the Lodge and monorail resorts. There's a bus and boat that will take you to the Wilderness Lodge. There's a boat that will take you to the Contemporary. From there you can hop the monorail to the Poly and GF. For the others, it's easiest to drive or hop from a park.

To visit other resorts, you can easily take a boat to Wilderness Lodge, and after exploring there, to the Contemporary.  From there, hop to monorail to the Polynesian and then the Grand Floridian.

A few months back, I came up with this plan for visiting some of the other resorts.  *PLEASE NOTE* I haven't tried this.  It is just a plan I drew up.

Non-Monorail Resort Touring Plan

Objective: To spend time visiting Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Boardwalk, and Port Orleans in one relaxed afternoon.  Maybe.

Step One: Wilderness Lodge

Take internal Fort bus to Settlement.

Take boat to WL.

Step Two: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Boat to MK

Bus from MK to AKL

Step Three: Boardwalk

Bus from AKL to DHS

Boat from DHS to Boardwalk (salt water taffy)

Step Four: Port Orleans

Bus from Boardwalk to DTD

Boat from DTD to Port Orleans - Riverside (Piano Bob starts at 8:30p)

Step Five: Figure out how to get back to the fort!  LOL