We are traveling from St. Louis to WDW for the first time.  We are headed out early in the morning on Saturday.  Would like to roll about 12 hours, stop for an over night stay, and hit the remaining leg in the morning.  Looking for the best route to take and a stopping point for the night.  Can anyone help, please.  Trip is in June.  Thank you.

Welcome!  Alas - we come down 95 so we won't be any help either.

Check out   http://rvparkreviews.com  and you can see if there are any campgrounds at about your half way point.  I know there are some nice one's near Chattanooga, but not so much from there to Atlanta.  (I assumed you would be heading down 75).    

I'm sure there will be a more helpful Fiend chime in soon.  

I'm another that's not much help. Like Humphrey Bear, we use rvparkreviews.com but our most recent purchase was $10 for the Allstays RV and Camp app. Very expensive by app standards, but I honestly wished we would have this years ago.

We used it to find a Walmart to overnight at and then 2 campgrounds. We use it for identifying fuel stops. It's our all around go to app.

WELCOME!

Just mapquested St. Louis to Orlando, and it does look like the best way is down I-75, so I would either stop just North of Atlanta somewhere, then get an early start through Atlanta, OR just South of Atlanta, going straight through downtown late at night.

I don't know much about North of Atlanta, but South, there is the Forsyth KOA, right off the highway, and some easy pullthroughs, and nice folks.

If you want to go a bit further, Tifton has a simple campground that will do for a quick overnight at Exit 60, have forgotten the name though, and then if you want to get to very South Georgia, there is Eagle's Roost at Exit 5 and a Camping World campground on the other side of the interstate at Exit 5

Made the trip several times from Iowa through St Louis.  The most important thing is make sure you time going through Atlanta (not around) during a time that would not be considered rush hour, even on a Saturday. You could easily do that time wise.   The closer to Valdosta as a stop the better.  It's an easy drive from there.  Mapquest will give you the roads for the straight shot towards Disney.  Pretty much an angle towards it the whole way, except for down 57.  If you're really excited, you can go into Florida before stopping.   Georgia is a really long state with about 2 million state police on it, so don't speed, it's not worth it.  Have fun!

Coming from Central Il we take 55 to 4 to 64 to 57 to 24 to 75.  Definitely get past Atlanta before stopping.  We usually hit it at night and go through downtown.  The bypass is just as busy and about 45 minutes longer.  We have a motorhome so we usually use truck stops or rest areas to sleep.  And yes the police are always horrible in Atlanta.

Agree with other, time your trip through Atlanta. We lived there for five years and the only traffic worse is the DC area and Manhattan. OK, maybe throw in LA but that is a long way away. ATL Rush "hour" starts early, it's busy by 7AM and goes later than most places. I would say come down 75 between 11 and 2, much later you will hit going home traffic heading out of the city.

Personally, I would also get as far south of Atlanta as you can so the next day travel is short. I like to get to Disney early. Not so early that you can't get into a site, but early enough that it is not a wasted day. I never figure on a park day one (we use tickets, not length of stay passes) we relax at the camper or hit someplace like downtown Disney.

Camping World has a CG at exit 5 and there is also Eagles Roost as was mentioned earlier in Valdosta. The Camping World CG is the old KOA.

And you can use the HOV lane thru Atlanta while towing as long as there are at least two of you in the car. We have done it with the MH and toad and with the FW.

If you can make it this far below Atlanta I would use here http://twinoaksrvpark.com/ great place easy in and out sites and not a bad drive to the Fort from there the next day. Good luck on your trip and search.

Agree with other, time your trip through Atlanta. We lived there for five years and the only traffic worse is the DC area and Manhattan. OK, maybe throw in LA but that is a long way away. ATL Rush "hour" starts early, it's busy by 7AM and goes later than most places. I would say come down 75 between 11 and 2, much later you will hit going home traffic heading out of the city.

Personally, I would also get as far south of Atlanta as you can so the next day travel is short. I like to get to Disney early. Not so early that you can't get into a site, but early enough that it is not a wasted day. I never figure on a park day one (we use tickets, not length of stay passes) we relax at the camper or hit someplace like downtown Disney.

I usually time my drive through Atlanta to be around 10am, around 2pm, or after 7pm. Most of the time it's after 7pm. We usually leave North Alabama around 2pm central, so that puts us going "into" Atlanta around 7 eastern, then going "out" of Atlanta around 7:30ish. Miss the worst of the traffic that way. We then push on down to around Tifton. We rarely stop at a campground anymore though. I have so many free hotel points, that it is easier/cheaper to grab a pre-packed bag for 1 night and go to a hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

Camping World has a CG at exit 5 and there is also Eagles Roost as was mentioned earlier in Valdosta. The Camping World CG is the old KOA.

And you can use the HOV lane thru Atlanta while towing as long as there are at least two of you in the car. We have done it with the MH and toad and with the FW.

We toured the Camping World campground the last time through for future reference, and it's quite nice.  Couldn't be easier to access, and if you are a Good Sam member it's $25 bucks.  If we need a spot right around the state line, we would certainly stay there.