Quiet Full Hookup without a swamp?

Heading to the Fort for our first time in April!! So excited!! It's just me, hubby, and our furbaby in a 40ft TT, and we booked a Full Hookup site (we don't mind walking). Looking for recommendations for a quiet/private site (pup is super quiet... except when she sees other dogs!) that won't be in a swamp during rainy season. It looks like a bunch of sites in 1900 are secluded, but I've read that rain can be a problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!! I feel so prepared after reading all of the posts on here. :)

Sorry, I'm no help- but I have to ask, a 40' travel trailer? What is it? What's it like? That's a lot of TT! Our fifth wheel is 42' but with the overhang of the truck, it tows a bit shorter.

I'm with Doug - Wow, that must be a BEAST!   Pics?  Oh, and  :welcome:

You drink wine while you post?

WELCOME!! :D

Great minds think alike, she will fit in fine around here, plus I like the way she packs, priority booze first on the list. :SmileyMargarita1:

We got stuck in 1900 once.  Never again!  It is truly a swamp when it rains.

One more thought.  There are a lot of cypress trees in that area.  I don't know what breed of dog you have, but our Schnauzer was covered in cypress droppings every time she went out.  And it would take us 20-30 minutes each time to clean her up.  Maybe your dog isn't such a magnet.

April in Florida is usually coming to the end of the dry season so flooding should not be a big problem but in the Summer all of those loops can turn into little islands.  Google Total Wines in the Orlando area for the best prices and selection.  Publix is close and they carry a good selection but on Sundays they can't sell booze until noon.  We are currently working our way thorugh the large selection of Proseco  

Hijack alert

Publix is close and they carry a good selection but on Sundays they can't sell booze until noon.

Two points:

1. I worked forPublix all through high school (still have the stock I bought) and while "Mr. George" was alive Publix didn't sell beer or wine at all.

2. About 10 years ago we were moving from Maryland to Atlanta. We arrived Sunday on the first day of a 10 day house hunting trip, staying at an extended stay hotel. We hit Publix to stock up the refrigerator. As the cashier was ringing up the order she stopped, looked at us and said "you all ain't from round here are you?" Looking at the wine we selected. Nope, no beer/wine sales on Sunday in that Atlanta suburb.......

We got stuck in 1900 once. Never again! It is truly a swamp when it rains.

One more thought. There are a lot of cypress trees in that area. I don't know what breed of dog you have, but our Schnauzer was covered in cypress droppings every time she went out. And it would take us 20-30 minutes each time to clean her up. Maybe your dog isn't such a magnet.

That is what is wonderful in life, we love 1900. And Niko (German Shepherd Dog) has no problems with the droppings.

Publix is close and they carry a good selection but on Sundays they can't sell booze until noon.  We are currently working our way thorugh the large selection of Proseco  

There's also a big ABC liquor store just up the street from DTD near the Winn Dixie. Selection is good for most things and prices are pretty reasonable.  :)

Didn't want this question to get lost in the hijack...

Is the canal dog walk behind 1800 crowded with other pups? We'll be there April 19-25.

Anybody got some experience here?

I know that since they opened the dog park the 300 dog walk is pretty darned empty.  I took Brady out there almost every day of our 3 week trip in November and we didn't run into any other dogs at all.

Oh and in case it's helpful (and you haven't already seen them) this page has links to videos of all loops, a great Google Earth map and the FortFiends mobile app which has specs and photos on all campsites...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

Is the canal dog walk behind 1800 crowded with other pups? We'll be there April 19-25.

Didn't want this question to get lost in the hijack...

Anybody got some experience here?

I can respond to that one- that dog walk area is seldom busy.  I walk along the canal there on most of my Fort stays, and there rarely is anyone else out there, with dogs or not.

I also have a word of caution about the 1800 loop.  It is not immune from flooding.  This is a photo showing the back of a site in the center of the 1800 loop- there's a bunch of standing water there:

92913339_zps07de666c.jpg

That photo was taken in October, 2013.  October isn't normally a time of heavy rain in central Florida. 

The full hook up loops-all of them- are built in a swampy area. 

The sites that back up to the canal and dog walk area on 1800 are not as swampy as the interior sites.  But, those sites are in high demand, so there's a lot of competing requests for those few sites

I agree that April isn't a particularly wet time of year in central Florida, so chances are, the full hook up loops won't have standing water then.

TCD

re: flooding... if the rains REALLY come, it'll be tough to avoid it just about anywhere.

This is the 300 loop from November.  We've stayed there for a combined total of somewhere around 26 weeks at this point over the past 10 years - all in October and November (normally not rainy) - and have never seen it like this before.  Fortunately the sites themselves are up high enough that they weren't swamped, but if you had setup anything off your actual site pad, it was probably under water. It was extremely slow to drain and they even came by and pumped a couple of spots out. Luckily (sort of) it wasn't warm enough for mosquitoes to be a problem.

1012943_10205670676033356_48908117138147

1016219_10205670672913278_27034609810698

10686656_10205670669113183_6233694550238

1601419_10205670680433466_59389335934788

Both paths to the Comfort Station were completely washed out for a while.  Then again, a small pond sprung up in the dog park too so... did I mention there was a lot of rain?  8)

1622808_10205685611766740_62974897143632

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and the pictures!!! I guess I'll stop worrying about the rain... Looks like it isn't a frequent problem and if it does happen, it doesn't matter what loop you're in. I'll take everyone's advice and request the amenities I'm looking for instead of specific sites. :)

My FP+ window opens tomorrow night... I can't wait!!! 60 days to go!!!