overnighter in southern ga/north fl?

We are making our first trip to the Fort in October from the 10-19. I was hoping someone could give a recommendation for a RV park just for a overnight stop. We are thinking of somewhere between Valdosta,GA and Lake City,FL.  We would prefer something with a few resturants close by we are planning on just pulling in to sleep then pull out in the morning. We do not want to unhook the 5th wheel from the truck if possible until we get to the fort. Thanks!

Exit 5 in Georgia - Eagles Roost. Flat concrete pullthroughs.

https://www.eaglesroostresort.com/

Although, the restaurants may be tricky. 

We usually stop for dinner before stopping for the night somewhere that can accommodate parking the rig, then merely use the campground to sleep.

Another vote for Eagle's roost, we stopped there last year on the way down and will use it again this year.
I went ahead and unhooked while there to get fuel and drive through the Zaxbys next door to the gas station.

You know your family, but are you sure you want to stop that soon?  Mr. Google says that is only 4 1/2 hours from home.  Add a little time because you are towing, but it's still a short travel day.

I admit, I am know to push it, but I would get down as far as Ocala so I had a quick trip into the Fort in the AM.

First, welcome aboard!

We had a good overnight stay at the KOA in Kingsland, reasonably priced, level pull through, clean bath house, free waffles and coffee each morning.  It is off of GA exit 1.  Don't know about places to eat, seemed like there were plenty of choices in Kingsland off exit 3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a real quick in and out, we stayed at the camping world campground off exit 5 just outside of Valdosta this year.  Not only is it very cheap ($20+tax is good sams rate) but also a perfect distance for us, just a little over 400 miles from the house.  

Wake up early, microwave breakfast, gas up, and we are at the fort by 10:30.  Easy easy

For a real quick in and out, we stayed at the camping world campground off exit 5 just outside of Valdosta this year.  Not only is it very cheap ($20+tax is good sams rate) but also a perfect distance for us, just a little over 400 miles from the house.  

Wake up early, microwave breakfast, gas up, and we are at the fort by 10:30.  Easy easy

What time did you leave, to make it there by 10:30am?  Is about 3 hours?

Is that at the new(er) CW at that exit?

Is that at the new(er) CW at that exit?

Yes, I think they bought the campground at that exit and now it is part of camping world.  It's right next to the store.

One more thing, we left before CW opened so I had to call them and pay over the phone on the way to the Fort.  You may be able to prepay and book it before hand, not sure.

My thought is this...either leave before 11am and drive all the way to the Fort or leave around 3:30, avoid Atlanta traffic, and stop before midnight.  

This normally puts us at Valdosta around 10 ish.

However, this year was odd...heavy traffic about an hour south of Atlanta held us up for over an hour.  

• 3 months later...

Hard to see the state lines on my Google maps, but I think this one is not exactly Southern GA, but it may help someone else reading here.

We stayed at Inland Harbor RV Park in Darien, GA, right off I-95, easy on/off.  Easiest overnight ever.  It's on the small side, but I called on the road at the end of Christmas-NY week and was able to get a spot, plus they were building a new row when we were there.  IIRC, they are all pull-throughs.  I think there is a Waffle House and a McDonald's in walking distance.  

It was called the Eagle's Nest.

Best Regards,

Norm

Oh yeah. But it was close, wasn't it?