I also agree about skipping the skylight. My experience with CW repairing things has not been good. Our window over the front bunk was leaking, and it took them 3 times to make it stop. They even insisted it wasn't leaking when there were clearly water stains on the bunk under it. 

:banghead:

Man... all the signs are saying, "stay away"... but the stubborn in me wants it.  This is why I get into trouble.  I don't listen.   Hmmm.... now maybe we know, where our daughter gets it from.  Shhh... don't tell Tom  :rolleyes:

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd go for closet space and you can always build or purchase a ladder.

That was our thought on that too... soon, she will be able to get herself in/out and it's just the bed so it's only at night.

You have to remember that RV dealers are not like auto dealers. You can end up at the bottom of the service list, they put their customers first. Some dealers have even been known to refuse warranty

:banghead:

Man... all the signs are saying, "stay away"... but the stubborn in me wants it.  This is why I get into trouble.  I don't listen.   Hmmm.... now maybe we know, where our daughter gets it from.  Shhh... don't tell Tom  :rolleyes:

With what everyone has been saying about a skylight, and CW service let's just hope  you won't be

"Singing in the Rain" in the middle of your kitchen!

We've got that skylight in ours (same floor plan) and I could take it or leave it. If it wasn't installed already I wouldn't have one put in. Just something else to go wrong. It also doesn't seem to add that much light.

I also wouldn't worry about others walking through. It still smells new and was made for you, they just didn't know it at the time.

In a few weeks all this will be behind you and you can start making memories.

We've got that skylight in ours (same floor plan) and I could take it or leave it. If it wasn't installed already I wouldn't have one put in. Just something else to go wrong. It also doesn't seem to add that much light.

My philosophy for quite a while.

When I was younger I wanted things with all the bells and whistles!

As you get older and you learn to repair all of those neat extras that break and cost a fortune to have someone repair, you realize that they aren't worth it in the long run.

My current truck was a pretty much stripped down FL special, AC, auto, power steering, and radio cd player.  No power window, locks, cruise etc.

And it has been reliable for the past 13 years.

I also wouldn't worry about others walking through. It still smells new and was made for you, they just didn't know it at the time.

In a few weeks all this will be behind you and you can start making memories.

That's so sweet... thank you  :)

My philosophy for quite a while.

When I was younger I wanted things with all the bells and whistles!

As you get older and you learn to repair all of those neat extras that break and cost a fortune to have someone repair, you realize that they aren't worth it in the long run.

My current truck was a pretty much stripped down FL special, AC, auto, power steering, and radio cd player.  No power window, locks, cruise etc.

And it has been reliable for the past 13 years.

That's actually have I feel about the electric stabilizers (which is why we didn't order them).  Same with the electric awning.  I could have done without that as well, but it was standard.

Electric stabilizers we don't have and I'm okay with that. Electric awning on the other hand I love. We camp a lot at Kerr Lake and storms build quickly. I can get the awning in quickly and by myself. It does prohibit hanging my mickey lights on it so I hang them around the easy up.

Don't sweat this. None of them are perfect. Get that rig in your possession and have fun making it yours.

I also would skip the sky light they let in to much heat and they will leak in time. Electric jacks I would be happy to get. It will make set up that much faster which means more time camping and I love my electric awning.

I find my electric stabilizers have a lot of play and allow movement in the rig. If I didn't like the push button aspect so much, I'd consider swapping them out for manual jacks and a drill.

For the awning- you can't beat electric for simplicity. The arms are complete weaklings. You need to either roll it up at the slightest threat of wind and always when you leave the camper OR you invest in a set of awning poles. I've had my awning out in up to 35mph winds though anything approaching 25mph and I still want to bring it in. But- it lets me have lights hanging and to keep the awning out 24/7 typically.

I'd skip the skylight, especially if the roof is flat not crowned. If you need more light, upgrade to larger fixtures and/or use LED bulbs with a higher output (i.e. use a 10 watt "equivalent" to replace a 5 watt incandescent which is ok because the LED probably actually uses less than 1 watt and puts off far less heat than the 5 watt).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coming into this late (sitting on beach in Jamaica)......

All factory to dealer deliveries are towed' again except very small trailers where they can save money with multiple on a trailer. They have a small army of contract drivers that tow them.

Get the inclusion of the skylight install warranty in writing form Jayco. Having talked to someone does no good when you have a problem down the road.

Coming into this late (sitting on beach in Jamaica)......

Lucky!!!

I'm catching up late too - whew, what a saga!  I'm so sorry this has been so difficult, Nacole.  DH and I were reading through this last night and we're both in the skip the skylight camp too. I don't think I'd trust the dealer to do anything any this point, much less carefully and properly do anything that involved cutting a hole in your roof.

Whatever you decide, I truly hope they get this all sorted out as quickly as possible so you can get your new camper home and start enjoying it!!!

I find my electric stabilizers have a lot of play and allow movement in the rig. If I didn't like the push button aspect so much, I'd consider swapping them out for manual jacks and a drill. For the awning- you can't beat electric for simplicity. The arms are complete weaklings. You need to either roll it up at the slightest threat of wind and always when you leave the camper OR you invest in a set of awning poles. I've had my awning out in up to 35mph winds though anything approaching 25mph and I still want to bring it in. But- it lets me have lights hanging and to keep the awning out 24/7 typically.

Awning poles... hadn't heard of those before.  We'll look into them.

Lucky!!!

I'm catching up late too - whew, what a saga!  I'm so sorry this has been so difficult, Nacole.  DH and I were reading through this last night and we're both in the skip the skylight camp too. I don't think I'd trust the dealer to do anything any this point, much less carefully and properly do anything that involved cutting a hole in your roof.

Whatever you decide, I truly hope they get this all sorted out as quickly as possible so you can get your new camper home and start enjoying it!!!

Thanks Mo.  CW is an interested breed.

Don't have a skylight in a camper, but we had a car with a skylight in it.  Didn't have trouble with leaks BUT it was so hot in the car we will never buy a car with a skylight again.

Good luck, you sure can use some.

Thanks Gretchen :)

Update?

Yes... thanks for asking :)     So, CW brought the camper down from IN.  They got it here Tuesday or Wednesday... I told them NOT to install the skylight, that we were thinking about it and (if) we decided to not have them install one, that we would expect a $500 CW gift card in lieu of loosing the feature.  We drove up today and, guess what, there is a skylight installed.  Now, at first I was irritated as I thought they had installed one this week but... I went up on the roof and the caulk around the skylight does not look (brand) new.  I mean, it all looks new...but that caulk looks like the rest of the caulk on the camper.  CW told us that they didn't realize that the camper had a skylight (how lazy can you be... you couldn't ask the other CW dealership if there was one?).  I'm going to call Jayco on Monday with the VIN and confirm exactly what the manufacturer installed.

Anyway... where we're at now is we are scheduled to take the hitch in on 4/25/15 (we picked the date); they'll have 4 hours to install it and we'll come back and sign the paperwork and take the trailer home.  That's the plan anyway ;)

Awning poles... hadn't heard of those before. We'll look into them.

Thanks Mo. CW is an interested breed.

Thanks Gretchen :)

Yes... thanks for asking :) So, CW brought the camper down from IN. They got it here Tuesday or Wednesday... I told them NOT to install the skylight, that we were thinking about it and (if) we decided to not have them install one, that we would expect a $500 CW gift card in lieu of loosing the feature. We drove up today and, guess what, there is a skylight installed. Now, at first I was irritated as I thought they had installed one this week but... I went up on the roof and the caulk around the skylight does not look (brand) new. I mean, it all looks new...but that caulk looks like the rest of the caulk on the camper. CW told us that they didn't realize that the camper had a skylight (how lazy can you be... you couldn't ask the other CW dealership if there was one?). I'm going to call Jayco on Monday with the VIN and confirm exactly what the manufacturer installed.

Anyway... where we're at now is we are scheduled to take the hitch in on 4/25/15 (we picked the date); they'll have 4 hours to install it and we'll come back and sign the paperwork and take the trailer home. That's the plan anyway ;)

Hopefully it is a factory installed skylight, and Jayco will fully back it with a factory warranty. I would feel so much more comfortable with a "factory" installed skylight.

We do expect pix of the new TT when you get it.

Hopefully it is a factory installed skylight, and Jayco will fully back it with a factory warranty. I would feel so much more comfortable with a "factory" installed skylight.

We do expect pix of the new TT when you get it.

Of course... pictures will definitely be posted :)  Yes, I'll find out Monday (directly from Jayco) if the factory installed it... or CW lied to us.

Glad to hear everything is working out for you. Hopefully the skylight was a factory install. I would assume that CW would have been able to provide the build sheet for the camper. That would have shown the exact options from Jayco as well. I do think calling the factory with the VIN to confirm is a great way to confirm. Also gives you peace of mind that they will back it if there is any issues.

Post pics once she is all yours.

My head hurts....

So, I called Jayco.  They took the VIN and told me yes, they (Jayco) did install the skylight.  I then went over the other features and we came to the a/c (which I had confirmed with the Jayco VP previously) and now they are showing only the 13.5k BTU unit as being installed... NOT the 15k BTU that we ordered.  At CW this weekend, they actually asked if we wanted to sign the paperwork then... yeah, no.  We knew we should wait until after the hitch was installed (scheduled for the 25th), now I have to deal with the a/c.

QUESTION:  I want the larger a/c, but am not thrilled about CW installing it.  I already have an email into Jayco to confirm that they will warranty it however.... question that I have is an install one.  Do any Fiends know if a larger (15k from 13.5k) unit is installed...will CW have to cut into the camper or do they "simply" unbolt the one that is there and install a larger one that is about the same size, just a stronger motor?