• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd go for closet space and you can always build or purchase a ladder.

That was our thought on that too... soon, she will be able to get herself in/out and it's just the bed so it's only at night.

You have to remember that RV dealers are not like auto dealers. You can end up at the bottom of the service list, they put their customers first. Some dealers have even been known to refuse warranty

Cant wait to see pics and see how you like it once it is yours.

Things from my purchasing experience last year that bit me in the rear (which is why it was in the shop for 8 months). We bought ours sight unseen and it was still on order from the factory. It was pouring down rain when we picked it up and did the inspection so looking for leaks was easy (and thank god there were none). However, because the service bays were full we had to do the inspection outside. We semi rushed the outside inspection and did a detailed inspection on the inside. Guess where we found problems when we got home (almost 150 miles away). Yep....the outside.

Check the exterior.....check it again....then again......then one last time for good measure. We had a pretty good scratch in the gel coating by the power inlet due to someone hitting it with the saw when cutting the hole at the factory. Also had a really bad warp in the front cap (yeah that one that covers the entire front of the TT). In addition, we had 2 seals that were torn on the slide outs, a roof vent that wouldn't close easily, a stabilizer jack button that was not mounted well, the front storage door had a hairline crack in it, the outside kitchen door had the hinges mounted in the styrofoam with no reinforcement (they eventually tore free and the door had no way hold itself open), and one of our outside doors was very hard to close if the trailer was not perfectly level.

The dealer took care of all of it but some of the parts took months to get in because Rockwood changed the 2015 color schemes slightly from 2014 and the early model 15's had run over parts on them (and we have one of the first 2015's of our model according to Rockwood). The doors and front cap took almost 5 months to get because Rockwood had to special order them in the old colors and that seemed to take forever.

We just got it back a few weeks ago and everything is to our satisfaction for the most part. I am going to have them adjust the kitchen door after our next outing here in a few weeks because one of the latches doesn't seem to grab the latch plate well. Other than that, we love our camper.

If you have the opportunity, and you plan on keeping your camper for years, get the extended warranty. I am not sure what CW offers but when we picked ours up from Tom Raper (which is now CW) we were able to get an 8 year extended warranty that covered everything as long as maintenance was performed. Had $100 deductible and if anything goes wrong, they take care of the rest...including leaks (which is why I got it). I normally don't buy into extended warranties but for the $400 it cost (roughly), it was worth it on a $45k (MSRP and not even close to what we paid) moving box of fun. I did check with the dealership and they do honor the warranty we got from Tom Raper now that it is CW. I called the warranty company and they also said they will work with CW on any warranty repairs.

Good luck and praying that everything works out well for you.

Take your TIME! Your walk through should last no less than 1.5 hours, realistically 2. If it takes 4 that is fine too. Like they said above, do not let them rush you. Make a list (a lot of great information from this thread alone) of items to check. If it moves, make it move in both directions, if the jacks are down when you arrive, take them up, and put them back down, awning out, roll it up and back out, etc....... Take a bottle of water with you, place it in the freezer when you begin your walk through, and see if it is slushy or frozen when it is over. I would NOT TRUST this dealer and would make sure they understand this. 

Also, bring a torque wrench and check the lug nuts on the trailer tires, and also check them again part way home.

Okay... so we bought one of those (the one that Fiend recommended :) )... now we need to learn how to use it  :lol:    I have to go to Discount to have the truck tires checked today; I'll take it with me and ask the boys there.

Cant wait to see pics and see how you like it once it is yours.

Things from my purchasing experience last year that bit me in the rear (which is why it was in the shop for 8 months). We bought ours sight unseen and it was still on order from the factory. It was pouring down rain when we picked it up and did the inspection so looking for leaks was easy (and thank god there were none). However, because the service bays were full we had to do the inspection outside. We semi rushed the outside inspection and did a detailed inspection on the inside. Guess where we found problems when we got home (almost 150 miles away). Yep....the outside.

Check the exterior.....check it again....then again......then one last time for good measure. We had a pretty good scratch in the gel coating by the power inlet due to someone hitting it with the saw when cutting the hole at the factory. Also had a really bad warp in the front cap (yeah that one that covers the entire front of the TT). In addition, we had 2 seals that were torn on the slide outs, a roof vent that wouldn't close easily, a stabilizer jack button that was not mounted well, the front storage door had a hairline crack in it, the outside kitchen door had the hinges mounted in the styrofoam with no reinforcement (they eventually tore free and the door had no way hold itself open), and one of our outside doors was very hard to close if the trailer was not perfectly level.

The dealer took care of all of it but some of the parts took months to get in because Rockwood changed the 2015 color schemes slightly from 2014 and the early model 15's had run over parts on them (and we have one of the first 2015's of our model according to Rockwood). The doors and front cap took almost 5 months to get because Rockwood had to special order them in the old colors and that seemed to take forever.

We just got it back a few weeks ago and everything is to our satisfaction for the most part. I am going to have them adjust the kitchen door after our next outing here in a few weeks because one of the latches doesn't seem to grab the latch plate well. Other than that, we love our camper.

If you have the opportunity, and you plan on keeping your camper for years, get the extended warranty. I am not sure what CW offers but when we picked ours up from Tom Raper (which is now CW) we were able to get an 8 year extended warranty that covered everything as long as maintenance was performed. Had $100 deductible and if anything goes wrong, they take care of the rest...including leaks (which is why I got it). I normally don't buy into extended warranties but for the $400 it cost (roughly), it was worth it on a $45k (MSRP and not even close to what we paid) moving box of fun. I did check with the dealership and they do honor the warranty we got from Tom Raper now that it is CW. I called the warranty company and they also said they will work with CW on any warranty repairs.

Good luck and praying that everything works out well for you.

Take your TIME! Your walk through should last no less than 1.5 hours, realistically 2. If it takes 4 that is fine too. Like they said above, do not let them rush you. Make a list (a lot of great information from this thread alone) of items to check. If it moves, make it move in both directions, if the jacks are down when you arrive, take them up, and put them back down, awning out, roll it up and back out, etc....... Take a bottle of water with you, place it in the freezer when you begin your walk through, and see if it is slushy or frozen when it is over. I would NOT TRUST this dealer and would make sure they understand this. 

THANK YOU!!

I'll echo what has already been said here:  Videotape the walkthru from start to finish if you can, and point the camera where the tech is pointing/talking about so that later when you need to use something you can see on the video what he was telling you to do.   

Also, if possible ask them to let you stay in the camper on their lot for the first night, maybe even two, they should have hookups there to use, if not then stay close by that night. When you are alone with the camper thats when you can take your time, really test it out and make sure every last system is working. Get a frosty beverage from the (hopefully) working fridge, take the owners manual and go thru it front to back system by system before you get too far away   :D  

Okay Fiends... we're home, as is our new camper!  We'll, right now the camper is parked in front of our house (this one is too big to get up our steep driveway so we need to find a lot to park it at).  I'll post some pictures soon :)

As for the PDI yesterday, it went pretty well. No major red flags and we took our time (we spent about 2.5 almost 3 hours walking the unit). Still NOT thrilled with CW and I would NOT recommend that anyone purchase from them, but as for our day... it went better than I had expected it to go.  Huge, HUGE, thanks to Doug (ependydad...Doug) for all your help.  Fiends are the BEST!!

Our kiddos did really well; we were sooo thankful that! :)   5 hours at an RV dealership is long enough for anyone... but for an 8 and 3 year old, they were troopers! 

Today I'm going to put all the "camper" stuff inside and make her feel more like home :)   I'll take/post pictures when I'm done!    

Okay Fiends... we're home, as is our new camper!  We'll, right now the camper is parked in front of our house (this one is too big to get up our steep driveway so we need to find a lot to park it at).  I'll post some pictures soon :)

As for the PDI yesterday, it went pretty well. No major red flags and we took our time (we spent about 2.5 almost 3 hours walking the unit). Still NOT thrilled with CW and I would NOT recommend that anyone purchase from them, but as for our day... it went better than I had expected it to go.  Huge, HUGE, thanks to Doug (ependydad...Doug) for all your help.  Fiends are the BEST!!

Our kiddos did really well; we were sooo thankful that! :)   5 hours at an RV dealership is long enough for anyone... but for an 8 and 3 year old, they were troopers! 

Today I'm going to put all the "camper" stuff inside and make her feel more like home :)   I'll take/post pictures when I'm done!    

Congrats.

As for not buying from CW, is there a thread for that?  I've kept my problem with them quiet until it just recently got settled.  The bank (lien-holder) & one of their  lawyers had to get involved.

Thanks Fiends!  It may be a week or two for pictures; we can't park this camper in our driveway... so right now it's on the street until we find a spot (hope to have one by May 1st).  We tried to park it out of the street as much as possible, so (it's got a slight lean from the street gutter that we parked in) I cannot open the slide without hitting the small hill that is our front yard :)  I spent a good amount of time in there today, trying to clean and organize....this proved to be a bit tricky with the slide in and a bunch of bags/boxes (clothes, dishes, bedding, etc) thrown in there.  Haha :)     Promise to post pictures as soon as I can!

Congrats.

As for not buying from CW, is there a thread for that?  I've kept my problem with them quiet until it just recently got settled.  The bank (lien-holder) & one of their  lawyers had to get involved.

Oh gosh... I don't know.  There probably should be though!

Oh mercy... sometimes you just have to go  :banghead:

So, remember the a/c conversation?  13.5k BTU vs 15k BTU?  We decided that it was important that our family go with the 15k BTU, so BEFORE buying this camper... I contacted Jayco directly and confirmed that the system was a 15k.  Got the email confirmation from the VP of sales himself... yes, it was a 15k BTU system.  At the PDI, we confirmed with CW, "15k BTU correct?"  "Yes, it is"... we were told.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I'm going through this big binder of information that Jayco left in the camper.... came across a "Major Component Data Sheet", and guess what it lists for this camper:   13.5k BTU.  Seriously??

Have an email into both Jayco and CW.  

Question for your Fiends... is there anywhere that I can check the unit to see if it's a 13.5k or 15k?  I went up on the roof and cannot see much through the cover... I'll take the cover off, if it will tell me anything.

I'm tired.  

Should it be this hard?? 

Oh mercy... sometimes you just have to go  :banghead:

So, remember the a/c conversation?  13.5k BTU vs 15K BTU?  We decided that it was important that our family go with the 15K BTU, so BEFORE buying this camper... I contacted Jayco directly and confirmed that they system was a 15K.  Got the email confirmation from the VP of sales himself... yes, it was a 15K BTU system.  At the PDI, we confirmed with CW, "15K BTU correct?"  "Yes, it is"... we were told.

Fast forward to this afternoon, I'm going through this big binder of information that Jayco left in the camper.... came across a "Major Component Data Sheet", and guess what it lists for this camper:   13.5k BTU.  Seriously??

Have an email into both Jayco and CW.  

Question for your Fiends... is there anywhere that I can check the unit to see if it's a 13.5k or 15k?  I went up on the roof and cannot see much through the cover... I'll take the cover off, if it will tell me anything.

I'm tired.  

Should it be this hard?? 

Ok Nacole, I'm gonna weigh in here... I have been patiently following along anxoiusly waiting for pictures only to find my hopes getting dashed tonight that we won't see any for at least a day or two...

As for for the A/C, if you take down the grill on the inside of the camper, there should be a tag somewhere that will list the model number. Not sure which brand A/C is used, but it will probably be a Dometic or Coleman, so you should be able to Google the model number and it tell you what size you have.

I am so sorry that you have been having all these issues, but once you get it out and able to camp in it, all of those sour experiences will melt away!