Interesting article in the fact that DCL is the only cruise line to use equipment that notifies the bridge when someone goes over the side.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/spencer-aronfeld/man-overboard-cruise-ship-passengers-lost-at-sea-_b_6775536.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

These paragraphs in particular:

Why do people fall off of cruise ships and can it be prevented? Alcohol, foul play or suicide are the most frequent causes; but often it is simply impossible to discover the truth -- because rarely are bodies recovered. Fortunately, technology exists to sound alerts when a passenger goes overboard. These systems called MOB Detection Devices, include motion sensors, thermal detection systems and drones that are designed to alert the ship's bridge; to stop the ship and immediately deploy search and rescue protocols.

Tragically, most major cruise lines, with the exception of Disney, refuse to employ these devices -- even though the 2010 ''Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010" or CVSSA -- requires them. Probably because the CVSSA enacted by President Obama, only requires cruise ships built after 2010 to integrate MOB technology as well as minimum height requirements for cabin safety railing. Under the CVSSA the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), and the Maritime Administration (MARAD) have established model training standards for crime prevention, detection, evidence preservation as well as the reporting of criminal activities aboard cruise ships.

The whole idea of someone falling overboard, in particular one of my family members, is why I won't get a veranda cabin.  With Anna being the climber she is and her limited inherent fear of dangerous situations, I would never relax in the cabin.  Now I only need to worry about icebergs.  Do they have those in the Caribbean?  

The whole idea of someone falling overboard, in particular one of my family members, is why I won't get a veranda cabin.  With Anna being the climber she is and her limited inherent fear of dangerous situations, I would never relax in the cabin.  Now I only need to worry about icebergs.  Do they have those in the Caribbean?  

No but they have giant squids, like in 20000 Leagues Under the Sea that can pull a liner underwater never to be seen again!

We had someone go overboard on a RC cruise we were on.  Rumors around the ship were that it was a crew member and that he went over of his own accord.  The alarm sounded around 6am - it was barely getting light out and woke us up.  The ship circled the area much of the day along with a search plane that was sent, but from what we heard they never found him.

Approx 200 people have gone overboard on cruise ships since 2000. (International business times)

Interesting. Much higher than I expected.

I actually expected it to be higher when you figure in that many are suicides.