Fort camping with pets in a PUP

Ok, we are fort veterans (or so I'd like to think---maybe not veterans, but we've stayed alot.... :D) BUT we've never taken our pooch with us. So since were staying 2 weeks this time, we didn't think it was fair to the in-laws to watch our pooch, nor did we want our lil friend to be without us for 2 weeks. That being said, how many of you have stayed with your pets in a pop-up? We will have a/c. We will be staying from June 6th-20th, I know it will get quite warm, so my question is, While at the parks,is it ok for them to stay in the pop-up, or should I put her in the cage outside with a fan blowing on her? I don't want anyone to take her, but I don't want her to get too hot in the pop-up as well.

DSC_0039.jpg

Roxie,...the french bulldog

IMO, definately not outside! Even with a fan, you will just be blowing hot air at her. Last summer we had two weeks where the heat index was 110!! I would crank up the a/c and crate her inside. Just make sure someone comes back after too long and lets her out for a walk. I had an english bulldog for 11 years, and bulldogs don't do well in Florida heat, so even a walk could wear her out. She is adorable!!!! :heart:

It's actually against the not-always-but-sometimes-enforced rules to leave your dog outside your RV when you're not there.

On top of that, with all the critters and packs of roaming children, I wouldn't trust leaving the little cutie outside.

Safest bet IMO is crated in the TT (I know several dogs that have managed to find their way out of popups) with the A/C, and just as a backup, I'd probably leave a fan on too. 

When we camped with our hybrid, DH also had a shade tarp thingy that he'd put over the tent end where the dogs were crated.  Definitely helped keep it cooler, but then we were there in Nov/Dec.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Tarps/Canopy-Tarp.aspx?fnMenuName=SunShadeScreenMesh

I'm pretty sure if we ever camped in the summer in FL, no matter what we were in, DH would be looking into those systems that alert your phone whenever the temp goes about a certain point.

But he's a bit of a worrier when it comes to his pups, gotta love him.  :rofl2:

• 5 weeks later...

This is a little off the subject . But we were camping in out Fver at a State Park and luckly we had not left but the power went off and it was off for I would say 6 hours.  We were camping in South Florida in May .  I really hate to think what would have happen if we had left and our dogs were in the trailer when the power was off. The next day I told the ranger here is my cell phone number you had better call me or break into my camper if the power goes off.

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest difference I would think is how quickly/much a popup will heat up vs a bigger, hard-side camper.

When we dry camped with our 19' hybrid in August, it would get swelteringly hot, and quickly, parked in the sun all day - even with all the windows open and the ends unzipped. And that's up here in New England.

WIth our new hard side camper, while it's uncomfortable parked out in the sun all day, it's far from dangerously hot even after many hours.