Discovery Island History is really colorful

Hi everybody, my newest article is out at the link below. I wrote about the history of Discovery Island, which most of you guys remember. For those who may not, it's the island right offshore from the Fort's boat dock. Here is the link:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10975/Loving_the_Outdoors_the_Disney_Way__A_Look_Back_at_Discovery_Island

Have a great weekend!

Rod Wheaton

That's another great article, Rod.

I was hoping that you might have gone back to the very first name Disney gave to the island, Blackbeard's Island:

I recently came across a map from 1971.  I don't recall every seeing one this old before:

1971mapp4_zps0aa5cab9.jpg

Note that there are only 5 loops.  One trading post.  No Pioneer Hall or Trail's End.  The campfire area is down by the marina.  No petting zoo.  No pools.  No Bike Barn.  Just 5 loops, a trading post, and the Reception Outpost.  Oh, and an Archery Range.  Didn't know about that.  Discovery Island was called Blackbeard's Island, and the Sweet Bay Swamp Nature Walk was a big attraction.  Big enough to get mentioned on the map.

Look at where the Reception Outpost is on the map.  it's right near what we know today as the four way stop.  Only at the time, it wasn't a four way stop, because the Big Pine did not continue to the west.

What we know today as the Reception Outpost didn't exist in 1971.

TCD

Definitely would be cool to have an attraction on the island, but moving guests across the lake and the lack of parking present major challenges.

I can see an exclusive, top dollar DVC going up there.

You think too small.

Did you see what they're charging for those shacks they stuck in front of the Polynesian?

They could pave the Fort Marina area, and the 100 loop too.  That would be a good sized parking lot.

Then build a bridge to the island.

They could have little kiosks on the bridge selling DVC merchandise and drinks.

Done.

TCD

That's another great article, Rod.

I was hoping that you might have gone back to the very first name Disney gave to the island, Blackbeard's Island:

I recently came across a map from 1971.  I don't recall every seeing one this old before:

Note that there are only 5 loops.  One trading post.  No Pioneer Hall or Trail's End.  The campfire area is down by the marina.  No petting zoo.  No pools.  No Bike Barn.  Just 5 loops, a trading post, and the Reception Outpost.  Oh, and an Archery Range.  Didn't know about that.  Discovery Island was called Blackbeard's Island, and the Sweet Bay Swamp Nature Walk was a big attraction.  Big enough to get mentioned on the map.

Look at where the Reception Outpost is on the map.  it's right near what we know today as the four way stop.  Only at the time, it wasn't a four way stop, because the Big Pine did not continue to the west.

What we know today as the Reception Outpost didn't exist in 1971.

TCD</blockquote>

Thanks Tri Circle D! Yes, you're right it started as Blackbeard's Island, and your map is awesome! I still kick myself because I found an original first year Fort brochure on EBay and let it get away...it showed a map similar to that one. Thanks for reading, see you at the Fort sometime!

Rod

You think too small.

Did you see what they're charging for those shacks they stuck in front of the Polynesian?

They could pave the Fort Marina area, and the 100 loop too.  That would be a good sized parking lot.

Then build a bridge to the island.

They could have little kiosks on the bridge selling DVC merchandise and drinks.

Done.

TCD

Shhhhhh!! don't give them any ideas.