Duty Free shopping question.

Tomorrow afternoon we will be leaving Galveston Texas for 5 night cruise. And as some of you know I really like watches. Well I've had my eye on a watch ever since our Christmas trip three months ago. I don't remember who it was but a fellow fiend or a fiends husband was wearing it and it's gorgeous. Normally, being an OU I wouldn't wear anything orange but this watch was cool. So here's my question. I've bought duty free items before, liquor and cigarettes, cigars. Back when I use to smoke. And I know that you can only bring back so much of each.

Has anyone bought watches and/or jewelry "duty free"?

Will I be charged taxes if it's over a certain dollar amount?

And do you trust jewelry stores in Mexico?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray.

Generally you have an $800 import exemption per person, but can combine it among family members to cover a larger purchase.  This combining includes children (except for alcohol/tobacco items)

Unless dealing with a well know retailer, I would be a suspicious of a watch purchase in Mexico just as I would be suspicious of a street vendor taco purchase.

Are You Planning a Trip to Mexico from the United States?

I don't know the answer to your question, Ray, but have a great trip!

What ship are you sailing on?

TCD

Thanks

Carnival Triumph. Hopefully it doesn't break down again. Lol.

Actually my BIL has been in it since it's been fixed and refurbished and said it's really nice.

5 night cruise hitting Cozumel and Progresso Mexico. We really like this itinerary.

Generally you have an $800 import exemption per person, but can combine it among family members to cover a larger purchase. This combining includes children (except for alcohol/tobacco items)

Unless dealing with a well know retailer, I would be a suspicious of a watch purchase in Mexico just as I would be suspicious of a street vendor taco purchase.

Are You Planning a Trip to Mexico from the United States?

Thanks that what I needed to know.

The retailer is a big one. They have stores all over the Caribbean.

As far as street taco vendors... My first stop when I get off the boat in Cozumel will be to a street taco vendor. They have the best tacos in Cozumel. I've eaten there dozens of times and never gotten sick. But then again I can probably eat a steel belted radial tire and it wouldn't bother me. :rofl:

I used to go to Cozumel a couple of times a year to dive and i never tried them.  My dive bag was light compared to the bag that I took water in.....

But, that never stopped me from getting a bucket of beer at Carlos & Charlies!

Who did you dive with in Cozumel?

Generally friends.  I was a dive instructor for many years in Ft. Lauderdale and the shops I worked with had regular trips there.

We used many of the dive operators - but through the years and brain cells I have lost to bad habits it all just a fog.....

What kind of watch are you looking at?

My watch is orange, and it's spectacular. LOL.

I think it was either your watch or Jason's (mr GDF)

A Tag F1. Orange face black bezel. I've seen it with a blue face but I have an Invicta with a blue face. Besides, when I win the lottery I'm getting a Submariner with a blue face.