I saw a youtube video on some RV basics and one item that this man pointed out, was a "water bandit" by Camco.  Thought it was a pretty neat product, and something we might use at some point, so I ordered one (it was cheap).

This got me thinking.... what is something (or even a few things) that you think are a must have in your RV "toolbox" ?   Along with the water bandit, we also have an adapter in case the 30 amp does not work and we need to use the 50 amp.

So... what's in your toolbox?  B)

Water bandit, 30-50 adapter, couple hose clamps, wire ties, couple "Shark Bite" water line fittings, short piece of 1/2 pex, extra fuses, volt/ohm meter, 12 volt wiring connectors and stripper/crimper, various sizes of 12 volt wiring, electrcal tape, duct tape :rofl2:, channel locks, just to mention a few things.

screwdrivers, pliers, fuses, duct tape, cable ties (lots of cable ties), rubber mallet, hex wrenches, extra lightbulbs, shoegoo, lithium grease, power adapters (30-50, 30-20), super glue, 30 amp extension cord, several outdoor regular extension cords, couple power strips, couple of single to three tap plugs, socket set

Basically I keep the same tools I would for auto repairs. Hammers, sockets, hex/torx keys, screwdrivers, multimeter, 30A to 50A and 15A adapters, etc. For those that don't have one I highly recommend the multimeter. I never hookup until I've verified the voltage and grounds on the box I'm plugging into. While I have a good circuit protector to protect the trailer it isn't cheap to replace. To use the old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". 

I looked up the Water Bandit and it looks like a good thing to get. I seem to remember seeing these in my younger years and think my dad might have owned one. It wasn't made of silicone back then but instead used rubber for the seal.

Thanks!

Keep em' coming Fiends....we're getting ready to stock a new toolbox and want to make sure we haven't missed a basic/necessary item.

For those that don't have one I highly recommend the multimeter. I never hookup until I've verified the voltage and grounds on the box I'm plugging into. While I have a good circuit protector to protect the trailer it isn't cheap to replace. To use the old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". 

Is that what you use to check for... oh, what's it called.... hot skin... something to do with electrical shock and an RV.  I want to purchase something to help protect us from this and I know our surge protector will not do it.

One thing I have is one of those testers that you plug into standard sockets to check for Ground (the little plug with the three lights), then I have an adapter that will convert that to 30 AMP.

So then I can plug it into a 30 Amp power connection. If all the lights come on correctly, I'll plug in the trailer.

One thing I have is one of those testers that you plug into standard sockets to check for Ground (the little plug with the three lights), then I have an adapter that will convert that to 30 AMP.

So then I can plug it into a 30 Amp power connection. If all the lights come on correctly, I'll plug in the trailer.

I was watching a video on this... and apparently those things do not actually protect you from being shocked (or worse) as they can get a false "safe" read.  

Thanks!

Keep em' coming Fiends....we're getting ready to stock a new toolbox and want to make sure we haven't missed a basic/necessary item.

Is that what you use to check for... oh, what's it called.... hot skin... something to do with electrical shock and an RV.  I want to purchase something to help protect us from this and I know our surge protector will not do it.

Hot skin can be one of the symptoms of a miswired outlet post but could also be caused by a miswired trailer or chord. Mike Sokol has a website that talks about it.

http://www.noshockzone.org/rv-electrical-safety-part-iv-%E2%80%93-hot-skin/ . I had the opportunity to talk and email back and forth with Mike a couple of years ago. It was for dealing with mainline power and equipment power supplies. It was related to professional sound reinforcement but as most conversations go we got off on a tangent about RV's. As a electrical engineer by training I will say the guy knows his stuff and I have a lot of respect for him. I would recommend reading his RV articles on the website. Overall I think he does a good job explaining things for the non-technical person and most folks should be able to do the basic tests on their own after reading his articles. 

As far as using the multimeter. I not only check for miswired sockets but also to be sure the voltage is correct along having good grounds. I haven't had it happen but know someone who plugged into a supposed 30A, 120V plug and it turned out to be 220V. While my surge protector is supposed to handle that situation I figure it is easier to check with my meter first and not take the risk.

Torque wrench with appropriate sized socket for the lug nuts. I always check the lug nuts at every stop. It was overkill with my last TT but its a necessity with this 5th wheel. There are always 3-4 that back themselves off. One other reason i hate this thing.

Sent from my iPhone

Hot skin can be one of the symptoms of a miswired outlet post but could also be caused by a miswired trailer or chord. Mike Sokol has a website that talks about it.

http://www.noshockzone.org/rv-electrical-safety-part-iv-%E2%80%93-hot-skin/ . I had the opportunity to talk and email back and forth with Mike a couple of years ago. It was for dealing with mainline power and equipment power supplies. It was related to professional sound reinforcement but as most conversations go we got off on a tangent about RV's. As a electrical engineer by training I will say the guy knows his stuff and I have a lot of respect for him. I would recommend reading his RV articles on the website. Overall I think he does a good job explaining things for the non-technical person and most folks should be able to do the basic tests on their own after reading his articles. 

As far as using the multimeter. I not only check for miswired sockets but also to be sure the voltage is correct along having good grounds. I haven't had it happen but know someone who plugged into a supposed 30A, 120V plug and it turned out to be 220V. While my surge protector is supposed to handle that situation I figure it is easier to check with my meter first and not take the risk.

Thank you!

Torque wrench with appropriate sized socket for the lug nuts. I always check the lug nuts at every stop. It was overkill with my last TT but its a necessity with this 5th wheel. There are always 3-4 that back themselves off. One other reason i hate this thing. Sent from my iPhone

Any idea if all torque wrenches are created equal?  I ask as we need to get one... came across a recommendation that we check the torque every 50 miles for the first 200 miles we use our new TT.  Lucky for us, our first few trips are close so... we can check them each time we set up camp for the first 4 trips :)   Since we have to buy a wrench, I'll make sure to add checking the lug nuts to do my list for things that I do before we leave home and before we leave the campsite.... I also check our tire pressure (try to check that with each gas fill-up as well).

Thank you!

Torque wrench with appropriate sized socket for the lug nuts. I always check the lug nuts at every stop. It was overkill with my last TT but its a necessity with this 5th wheel. There are always 3-4 that back themselves off. One other reason i hate this thing. Sent from my iPhone

Any idea if all torque wrenches are created equal?  I ask as we need to get one... came across a recommendation that we check the torque every 50 miles for the first 200 miles we use our new TT.  Lucky for us, our first few trips are close so... we can check them each time we set up camp for the first 4 trips :)   Since we have to buy a wrench, I'll make sure to add checking the lug nuts to do my list for things that I do before we leave home and before we leave the campsite.... I also check our tire pressure (try to check that with each gas fill-up as well).

e631d15e97abfb75461fe0a552c0fe94.jpg88aec1e95635a94f1cbee8eeeb3dd4cc.jpg

This is my trusty 20 year old craftsman wench. Been used on 4 engine builds, some suspension work and other car related jobs. I prefer this style where you adjust settings in the handle over the other style that has the weird little bar over it

Sent from my iPhone

e631d15e97abfb75461fe0a552c0fe94.jpg88aec1e95635a94f1cbee8eeeb3dd4cc.jpg This is my trusty 20 year old craftsman wench. Been used on 4 engine builds, some suspension work and other car related jobs. I prefer this style where you adjust settings in the handle over the other style that has the weird little bar over it Sent from my iPhone

Thanks!  I'll look for that one!

Not in tool box but on the pocket of my door, I carry a heat measuring gun to check tires & hubs every time we stop.

Which brand/one do you use?

Which brand/one do you use?

Not really sure as it is in my truck at the storage lot and it was a gift, I think just a cheaper one from Harbor Freight, have had it for over 4 years now and it held up fine only replaced the batteries once so far.

Does this look like the right one to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-1AC-A1-II-VoltAlert-Non-Contact-Voltage/dp/B00ATGPRRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426791706&sr=8-1&keywords=fluke+voltage