RUMOR: Innoventions West to Close?

From WDWMagic...

Epcot's Innoventions West to close by the summer?

Mar 18, 2015 | 8:21am EST

Speculation is mounting that Epcot's Innoventions West will be permanently closed by the summer.

The past few months have seen a number of exhibits close, including  the Test the Limits Lab, and soon the IBM THINK exhibit. The remaining exhibits include The Great Piggy Bank Adventure, Where's The Fire, the Videogame Playground and perhaps the most popular of what remains, the Disney VISA characters meet and greet.

There is no word on what may replace Innoventions West should it close, but the timeline suggests May of 2015, with only the meet and greet potentially surviving in a new location.

Innoventions East, which has seen the bulk of recent new additions is not affected by the plans.

As always, this information should be treated as speculation until confirmed. Disney has not made any announcement about the future of the attraction.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/innoventions/news/18mar2015-epcot%27s-innoventions-west-to-close-by-the-summer.htm

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, and the original spirit was to evoke a World's Fair, like the 1964 fair in NYC that Walt contributed so much to.  Only American society is too shallow, dumbed down and self-centered for anythin

BINGO!!   I feel the same way.  I grew up with the space program also (didn't become an engineer), and was excited to watch the launches on TV.  They even rolled TVs into classrooms so you could watch

Double Bingo!!       My school projects were on Apollo and the Moon Landings. My heroes were the Astronauts, and as I learned more, the Engineers behind them. It was an amazing time and I am so grate

It would be nice if they'd finish some new stuff before closing anything else.

Agreed.

But, in fairness, it's been a while since we've visited there.  The IBM part is fairly new, but the rest of what's in there has been around a long time, and isn't stuff that we care to see again.  I really won't care if they shut the whole thing down.

TCD

Agreed.

But, in fairness, it's been a while since we've visited there.  The IBM part is fairly new, but the rest of what's in there has been around a long time, and isn't stuff that we care to see again.  I really won't care if they shut the whole thing down.

TCD

I recall seeing the IBM stuff back in the 90's so it isn't that new. Also from walking through on our last visit it still appeared to have most of the stuff from back then.

I recall seeing the IBM stuff back in the 90's so it isn't that new. Also from walking through on our last visit it still appeared to have most of the stuff from back then.

The IBM stuff has changed since then.  While still IBM, what is there is not very old.

The IBM stuff has changed since then.  While still IBM, what is there is not very old.

Right- the IBM stuff there now is not leftover from the '90's, LOL.

There is a relatively new, pretty elaborate, IBM display that just opened in 2013: http://www.ibm.com/ibm/think/thinkexhibit.html

TCD

Right- the IBM stuff there now is not leftover from the '90's, LOL.

There is a relatively new, pretty elaborate, IBM display that just opened in 2013: http://www.ibm.com/ibm/think/thinkexhibit.html

TCD

Maybe it's just me being a Senior Software Engineer retiree from IBM that made it seem old when we walked through last October and I'll leave it at that.   :D

Innoventions reflected the original spirit of Epcot as it was intended by Walt and the Imagineers back then.  The Disney of today has ADD and would never consider building something inspirational and educational like Horizons, Wonders of Life and Innoventions.  They don't understand that Epcot doesn't have to have a thrill ride or a movie tie-in every 20 feet to be an exceptional experience......

I think one of the last new things was riding a Segway, and that was about 5 years ago.

Do they still have that?

The Segway display and riding option disappeared around the same time they stopped offering the Epcot Segway tour.

They are not listed on the official list of attractions for Innoventions : https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/innoventions/

TCD

Innoventions reflected the original spirit of Epcot as it was intended by Walt and the Imagineers back then.  The Disney of today has ADD and would never consider building something inspirational and educational like Horizons, Wonders of Life and Innoventions.  They don't understand that Epcot doesn't have to have a thrill ride or a movie tie-in every 20 feet to be an exceptional experience......

Agreed. My daughters enjoyed the educational rides as much if not more than the thrill rides. To me Epcot seems to have lost the idea of "What could be" which is what made it special.

Right, and the original spirit was to evoke a World's Fair, like the 1964 fair in NYC that Walt contributed so much to.  Only American society is too shallow, dumbed down and self-centered for anything cerebral like a World's Fair these days.  There hasn't been a World's Fair in the US in over 30 years....and I doubt we'll ever see one again.  Some would argue that, with all the innovation and information shared instantaneously on the internet, the need for a World Fair or Expo is no longer there.  But strip away the Kardashians, US Weekly, TMZ crap from U.S. online volume, and there isn't much left.  It's not that the internet has replaced the need for a World Fair.  It's that we are too stupid to appreciate one.  

Right, and the original spirit was to evoke a World's Fair, like the 1964 fair in NYC that Walt contributed so much to.  Only American society is too shallow, dumbed down and self-centered for anything cerebral like a World's Fair these days.  There hasn't been a World's Fair in the US in over 30 years....and I doubt we'll ever see one again.  Some would argue that, with all the innovation and information shared instantaneously on the internet, the need for a World Fair or Expo is no longer there.  But strip away the Kardashians, US Weekly, TMZ crap from U.S. online volume, and there isn't much left.  It's not that the internet has replaced the need for a World Fair.  It's that we are too stupid to appreciate one.  

Sad but true.

I've mentioned before about how sorry I feel for my daughters to have grown up in an age which lacks the optimism which permeated the good old days of my youth.

TCD

Sad but true.

I've mentioned before about how sorry I feel for my daughters to have grown up in an age which lacks the optimism which permeated the good old days of my youth.

TCD

I've said the same thing. The schools I went to were not perfect but I wish I could send my son back in time to go there now.  Not only optimism for the future, but a general can-do / no-nonsense attitude that if you had the motivation and a positive outlook you could go anywhere and do anything.

Now the only place kids know for sure they can go is to jail if they violate one of the new PC thought police rules......    

I've said the same thing. The schools I went to were not perfect but I wish I could send my son back in time to go there now.  Not only optimism for the future, but a general can-do / no-nonsense attitude that if you had the motivation and a positive outlook you could go anywhere and do anything.

Now the only place kids know for sure they can go is to jail if they violate one of the new PC thought police rules......    

Exactly.  I grew up in the 60's when the space program was starting.  I can remember the Gemini launches, followed by Apollo.  THAT was inspirational.  I feel sorry for those who were not around to appreciate the optimism and limitless goals for the future that seemed to be in place then. The downfall of intelligence and optimism correlates very well with the downfall of the space program.  In the 60's people wanted to be engineers (which I became), intelligence was something to be considered valuable, and the term "rocket scientist" was considered a positive.  After the Apollo program ended in 1972, we have never left earth orbit; we've accomplished pretty much nothing. Today, we can't even launch our own astronauts into space. Now, even the best STEM programs in schools don't seem to work very well in luring kids to technical fields (or to even like math and science), and many kids are afraid to show how smart they are for fear of being labeled a nerd.  The very fact that one of the most successful technology related companies to launch lately is Facebook pretty much says it all.  Entertainment and leisure is now king, and accomplishment has fallen back.  Kind of makes those final words of John Steinback in American Adventure seem pretty accurate, doesn't it? 

Sad but true.

TCD

You both hit the nail right on the head. Our world has changed so much and IMHO I don't know if it's for the better. I guess thy I love the fort so much. Kids can still play ball, explore the woods and smell a campfire. I will say though, shame on Disney for not keeping up with both innovations and future world. At least for this part of the park, it's about innovating the future nd Disney is always behind here. I guess in 1980 when cassette tapes were replacing the 8 track, Epcot was futuristic. It's not anymore. Only so many coats of ugly clor paint can make something look futuristic (people mover good example). I agree that everything should not be a thrill ride but at least make it good. My wife and I were just commenting on how Disney should look at things especially at Epcot at least every 5 years and update. Not huge things, but things like the circle of life movie, the Norway film at the end of Malestron (RIP) and the 1990 Ellen flick in universe of Energy. I know classic is classic for something's, but some just don't make sense now. I guess they tried with COP years ago by updating the last future scene with grandma playing a VR game. Headset VR games flopped less than a year. I guess an A for effort at least.

Exactly.  I grew up in the 60's when the space program was starting.  I can remember the Gemini launches, followed by Apollo.  THAT was inspirational.  I feel sorry for those who were not around to appreciate the optimism and limitless goals for the future that seemed to be in place then. The downfall of intelligence and optimism correlates very well with the downfall of the space program.  In the 60's people wanted to be engineers (which I became), intelligence was something to be considered valuable, and the term "rocket scientist" was considered a positive.  After the Apollo program ended in 1972, we have never left earth orbit; we've accomplished pretty much nothing. Today, we can't even launch our own astronauts into space. Now, even the best STEM programs in schools don't seem to work very well in luring kids to technical fields (or to even like math and science), and many kids are afraid to show how smart they are for fear of being labeled a nerd.  The very fact that one of the most successful technology related companies to launch lately is Facebook pretty much says it all.  Entertainment and leisure is now king, and accomplishment has fallen back.  Kind of makes those final words of John Steinback in American Adventure seem pretty accurate, doesn't it? 

BINGO!!

I feel the same way.  I grew up with the space program also (didn't become an engineer), and was excited to watch the launches on TV.  They even rolled TVs into classrooms so you could watch the liftoffs.

It was a simpler time back then.  The Macy's Thanksgiving parade was a Holiday tradition and the real start of the Christmas Season.  Santa arrived all over town that weekend, not back the day after Halloween!

Most kids tried to do good in school, some did better than others.

Somehow over the years things have changed.

Starting years ago kids thought they were going to be sports stars making a ton of $$.

Some still think that way, but now it's been supplemented by the American Idol mentality and all of the other reality shows. Hey, I can be a bachelor or a bachelorette, or not work and run around the globe or go to an island!

Cripes if Honey Boo Boo can get on TV anyone can.

The education system has been dumbed down so everyone passes and feels good about themselves.

If you excel you get little recognition, but if you do a crummy job you get the praise that you tried and can be a winner!

I'm hoping my granddaughter tries for the STEM program in 2 years, but at this point it can go either way.

We've been taking her to different engineering/educational events this spring.  While she's there she really enjoys them, but a couple of weeks later she's more interested in watching the crappy Disney TV shows with the "smart" bratty kids and the dumb parents that are seldom seen.

We struggled trying to keep our kids interested in furthering them selves (they are doing pretty good) and now we are doing the same with the grandkids.

As much as I am a huge advocate of a simpler time, no cell phones, no reality tv etc, I have to wonder what my parents thought when I was growing up in the late 70s and most of the eighties. I'm sure they thought Maddona was the devil in disguise, prince was a chemical experiment and neon colors and max headroom they just could not swallow. But, at least there was still respect, an honest day's work for an honest day's pay and Ronald Reagan of course :)

As much as I am a huge advocate of a simpler time, no cell phones, no reality tv etc, I have to wonder what my parents thought when I was growing up in the late 70s and most of the eighties. I'm sure they thought Maddona was the devil in disguise, prince was a chemical experiment and neon colors and max headroom they just could not swallow. But, at least there was still respect, an honest day's work for an honest day's pay and Ronald Reagan of course :)

Each generation had the music that their parents couldn't understand, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, Prince, etc.

I'm sure the caveman thought his son was crazy when he started drumming on a hollow log instead of banging 2 rocks together.

But music hasn't been our countries downfall, it's greed pure and simple.

I'm all for someone working hard, making a buck and getting ahead.

But we lost that in the late 70's early 80's when corporate heads started making hundreds, then thousands times as much as their lowest paid employee, and still wanted more

Up thru the 60's and into the early 70's a boss made about 10 times as much as his lowest paid employee, and those low employees made a living wage where they could purchase a house and raise a family.

But they all (well most) got greedy and started screwing over the little guy just to make an extra $$.

It just keeps getting worse every year.

How is someone worth a salary of $50 to 100 million dollars a year? 

But enough ranting, must go to my happy place now....

Each generation had the music that their parents couldn't understand, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, Prince, etc.

I'm sure the caveman thought his son was crazy when he started drumming on a hollow log instead of banging 2 rocks together.

But music hasn't been our countries downfall, it's greed pure and simple.

I'm all for someone working hard, making a buck and getting ahead.

But we lost that in the late 70's early 80's when corporate heads started making hundreds, then thousands times as much as their lowest paid employee, and still wanted more

Up thru the 60's and into the early 70's a boss made about 10 times as much as his lowest paid employee, and those low employees made a living wage where they could purchase a house and raise a family.

But they all (well most) got greedy and started screwing over the little guy just to make an extra $$.

It just keeps getting worse every year.

How is someone worth a salary of $50 to 100 million dollars a year? 

But enough ranting, must go to my happy place now....

Bravo. Well said