1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

First things first- I need a witty name for this adventure! Our last name is Setzer if that helps you. :)

I have interviewed 3 different property managers, have looked at online schooling and various curriculum and have an appointment to get some recommendations next week, and are on the verge of telling in-person family and friends. The last big hurdle is my putting in a request at work for a modified work-week. And, there are a few tidbits that I want to get for the RV before we take off. It seems like it is pretty official- we are going to take a year and tour the country a week at a time.

• We are starting this with a vacation at Fort Wilderness and maybe another week or two in Florida before we actually get up and go.
  • Our plan is to move each Monday to our next location. I know from past experience that we can tolerate up to 600 interstate miles, but that is really pushing it.
  • I plan on largely ignoring the eastern seaboard because these can be done relatively easily from where we live now.
  • We want to avoid cold states when it is cold. (Which I'm failing at right now.)
  • Finding just 1 or 2 stops per state is proving to be downright terrible in some cases.
  • And, I'm finding that my knowledge of US social studies, history, and geography is pretty appalling.

I've started a spreadsheet of weeks and locations (actually EVEN BETTER- an interactive map!) with adding some ideas for what is around. I started this just by playing around with Google Maps and point-to-point locations. I haven't actually drawn lines for the whole thing yet. But, I have a laminated 3' x 4' map waiting to be laid out on our dining room table where I'll have my way with it.

What I'm most interested is when we get to the end of the year- where will our heads be at? Will we want to come off of the road? Will we want to come to this home? Will we toy with the idea of moving???

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

This sounds great!

It's your trip, and I'm sure you have your reasons, but I would seriously rethink the idea of spending the beginning of your trip in Florida and the south.  It's not real pleasant weather-wise here in July and August.  I'd rather be in Colorado and Utah in July and August, and then be heading south come November, which is the opposite of what you've got on your spreadsheet.

Personally, I'd head north and west in June, make by way out to the west coast, and then down the Pacific Coast Highway before heading back East and toward Florida as winter approaches.

TCD

Here it goes for Michigan places.  Based on the school aspect, I will give you two places, one in each peninsula.

Lower Peninsula  Dearborn, MI  (Detroit suburb)  The Henry Ford Museum

Upper Peninsula  Mackinaw Island  (located in the Straits of Mackinaw where the Mackinaw Bridge connects the two peninsulas)

Lake Michigan is located on the west side of the bridge, Lake Huron to the East

You could stay at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground in Mackinaw City.....the island is a ferry ride away.

Sounds like a great trip and trip report!

Sorry no idea on a name for your adventure.

As I'm sure you are aware there aren't many campgrounds around Chicago. We are going to visit my wife's folks who live in the suburbs in May. We will be staying at the KOA in Union but haven't ever been there before. The reviews generally seem to be good. Kane County has some nice campgrounds with 50 amp service at the sites but no water or sewer. They also don't have showers. The two I am familiar with are both close to the major roadways you can use to get into Chicago and close to the commuter trains if you prefer that means of getting around.

Besides the stuff in downtown Chicago there is also the Illinois transportation out in Union. Cantigny in the suburb of Wheaton has the Army First Division Museum and the McCormick Museum. Out of thoughts for now if I come up with anything else I'll post them.

Here it goes for Michigan places.  Based on the school aspect, I will give you two places, one in each peninsula.

Upper Peninsula  Mackinaw Island  (located in the Straits of Mackinaw where the Mackinaw Bridge connects the two peninsulas)

You could stay at Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground in Mackinaw City.....the island is a ferry ride away.

My folks lived in Saline for a number of years before moving to Kentucky. The Ford Museum is definitely a must see. I've always liked Greenfield Village. 

This sounds great!

It's your trip, and I'm sure you have your reasons, but I would seriously rethink the idea of spending the beginning of your trip in Florida and the south.  It's not real pleasant weather-wise here in July and August.  I'd rather be in Colorado and Utah in July and August, and then be heading south come November, which is the opposite of what you've got on your spreadsheet.

Personally, I'd head north and west in June, make by way out to the west coast, and then down the Pacific Coast Highway before heading back East and toward Florida as winter approaches.

TCD

So, we are well versed on the hot & humid hell that Florida is in summer. The unfortunate part is that are plans changed drastically from the beginning of the year to now. This trip has been dreamed and mused for a couple of years now and we literally decided it's "now or never" 2-3 weeks ago. BUT- back in February, we upgraded our WDW trip tickets to annual passes. We are trying to get use out of them before we head out. Though, we may shorten our time in Florida depending on how scheduling goes. But it sets us up to head over to Mississippi and go north from there...

Washington and Oregon coasts are best in August and September if that helps.

Right now I have us there around Sept/October. Can you tell me how being there earlier would be better?

Having driven from west coast to east coast several times there is a lot if bare country. If it looks like there is nothing on the map there really is nothing. Montana, Wyoming, north and South Dakota. You could starve in some of those areas.

I do plan on carrying 10-20 gallons of fuel in the truck bed for the "just in case" scenario that I need another 100-200 miles of range. I'd love to replace my factory fuel tank with a larger one, but I just can't justify the $1,000+ that would be. I've never driving across country. The farest that I've gone is driving to north western Indiana.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not sure how to make the Lower Peninsula of Michigan work just from a mapping and timing perspective- but I'd love to see the Henry Ford Museum. I've been looking at the Upper Peninsula because I can go from Chicago up to the UP and then across Wisconsin.

This sounds great!

TCD

So, we are well versed on the hot & humid hell that Florida is in summer. The unfortunate part is that are plans changed drastically from the beginning of the year to now. This trip has been dreamed and mused for a couple of years now and we literally decided it's "now or never" 2-3 weeks ago. BUT- back in February, we upgraded our WDW trip tickets to annual passes. We are trying to get use out of them before we head out. Though, we may shorten our time in Florida depending on how scheduling goes. But it sets us up to head over to Mississippi and go north from there...

Washington and Oregon coasts are best in August and September if that helps.

Right now I have us there around Sept/October. Can you tell me how being there earlier would be better?

Having driven from west coast to east coast several times there is a lot if bare country. If it looks like there is nothing on the map there really is nothing. Montana, Wyoming, north and South Dakota. You could starve in some of those areas.

I do plan on carrying 10-20 gallons of fuel in the truck bed for the "just in case" scenario that I need another 100-200 miles of range. I'd love to replace my factory fuel tank with a larger one, but I just can't justify the $1,000+ that would be. I've never driving across country. The farest that I've gone is driving to north western Indiana.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not sure how to make the Lower Peninsula of Michigan work just from a mapping and timing perspective- but I'd love to see the Henry Ford Museum. I've been looking at the Upper Peninsula because I can go from Chicago up to the UP and then across Wisconsin.

Sorry no idea on a name for your adventure.

As I'm sure you are aware there aren't many campgrounds around Chicago. We are going to visit my wife's folks who live in the suburbs in May. We will be staying at the KOA in Union but haven't ever been there before. The reviews generally seem to be good. Kane County has some nice campgrounds with 50 amp service at the sites but no water or sewer. They also don't have showers. The two I am familiar with are both close to the major roadways you can use to get into Chicago and close to the commuter trains if you prefer that means of getting around.

Besides the stuff in downtown Chicago there is also the Illinois transportation out in Union. Cantigny in the suburb of Wheaton has the Army First Division Museum and the McCormick Museum. Out of thoughts for now if I come up with anything else I'll post them.

I NEED A NAME, PEOPLE! :)

But seriously, the lack of RV parks around Chicago does bother me. Since we'll be somewhere for a week, having sewer would definitely be useful. My family isn't able to get much more than 4 showers on our 40 gallon gray water tank. I may just invest in a blueboy tote before we head out to make that less of an issue.

Fortunately for RV parks- we're extraordinarily low maintenance. We aren't after a "camping" experience - as long as it's a spot that I can get level and there is some place for the kids to play, I'm generally happy. Being a park that is big rig friendly is more important to me for this. I need to be able to get around the campground and get parked without a whole lot of worry.

My guess is your best bet will be the same KOA we are staying at in Union. The Kane County parks are nice, fairly new and were nicely spaced but you would be emptying your tank daily which I suspect isn't ideal.

I also noticed you are going through St. Louis. About a 150 miles west of there is a town called Arrow Rock. It is a historic village just west of Columbia so you might want to consider staying west of St. Louis.  A bit of trivia is it was also the site for the 1970's movies of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

My guess is your best bet will be the same KOA we are staying at in Union. The Kane County parks are nice, fairly new and were nicely spaced but you would be emptying your tank daily which I suspect isn't ideal.

I also noticed you are going through St. Louis. About a 150 miles west of there is a town called Arrow Rock. It is a historic village just west of Columbia so you might want to consider staying west of St. Louis.  A bit of trivia is it was also the site for the 1970's movies of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

Thanks, I'll mark it down on my list as a place to stay.

For St. Louis- the biggest thing is seeing the classic tourist spot with the gateway arches. Sounds like Arrow Rock could be a neat side trip one day. I'll add it to my list. :)

I think the name may come to you during you trip. I do kind of like 'now or never' you've used it a few times when talking about it.

But I need a name now so I can start a blog. :)

Wow thought you might have tried to plan the FROG rally in your planning. Just kidding, sounds like a great trip best of luck and will try to think of a name.

Ha! I have to admit, I likely won't go until my warranty is finally up. And given my factory returns- I have the never ending warranty! :P

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!"

See why I was holding back?

LOL, that's a good choice. I'll.... (ahem) .... "consider" it.

I don't know Doug that name is bigger then your spreadsheet.

Ok, so seriously- what in the world is there to do in Wisconsin? I'm trying to add a stop between Chicago and Minnesota and I'm coming up pretty empty...

Wisconsin Dells? Visit a brewery in Milwaukee? Thats all i have off the top of my sleep deprived head.