1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

As Jason said Wisconsin Dells, in Baraboo just past the Dells is the Ringling Bros museum, we did not go ( thanks wife :484grumpy11: )  I thought it looked neat. Plenty of things to do in the Dells just like Disney they know how to separate you from your money

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

In Washington/Oregon, rain and clouds start to pick up in October.  September is usually the prettiest month for both states... then again, it is the  Pacific NW so, no guarantees :)    I grew up in Anacortes, gateway to the San Juan Islands.  If you get a chance, a ferry ride is a great way to spend an afternoon.  You could park the rig and walk on.  Another option is visiting this time of the year; you would be there to walk through the tulip fields (google Skagit Valley Tulip Festival)... there's a reason tulips are my favorite flowers :)  

Make sure NOT to miss the Oregon coast.  Take 101 down to N. Cali... scratch that, down to Monterey.  All of it is breathtaking. 

So excited for you all!!  Looking forward to following along via your blog and ff.net :)

I notice you start heading back east from Oregon. While you are on the West Coast trying to see Lassen Volcanic National Park and Yosemite Nation Park is worth considering. While you wouldn't be parked for a week I would put the drive at 6-8 hours depending upon number of stops, etc. I haven't camped at either in a long time and even then it was tent camping but both would be worth a days stay if you haven't seen them. Lassen used to be uncrowded as far as parks go and is still very active volcanically. Going out of Yosemite on the back side via 120 will take you past Mono Lake and give you a view of the Sierras from a different perspective. Mom and Dad could even spend an hour or two playing in Reno.

Also don't forget since you are going to be in Billings, MT that Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks next door in Wyoming.

All of the parks and Mono Lake are good ways to tie in geology and biology for science education. You could probably tie in some history in too.

Cody Wyoming has a great museum. Nicole those tulip fields give me the creeps. I had to work in them during the summers. I am from Oak Harbor.

Haha... you're funny Susan.  Were the flowers attacking you? :)     I didn't work in those fields...but I did work in the strawberry fields; okay, it was only for one day... but I did it ;)

I notice you start heading back east from Oregon. While you are on the West Coast trying to see Lassen Volcanic National Park and Yosemite Nation Park is worth considering. While you wouldn't be parked for a week I would put the drive at 6-8 hours depending upon number of stops, etc. I haven't camped at either in a long time and even then it was tent camping but both would be worth a days stay if you haven't seen them. Lassen used to be uncrowded as far as parks go and is still very active volcanically. Going out of Yosemite on the back side via 120 will take you past Mono Lake and give you a view of the Sierras from a different perspective. Mom and Dad could even spend an hour or two playing in Reno.

Also don't forget since you are going to be in Billings, MT that Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks next door in Wyoming.

All of the parks and Mono Lake are good ways to tie in geology and biology for science education. You could probably tie in some history in too.

I've updated the spreadsheet and here's the latest route/timing on Roadtrippers.com:

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/7301000

I do have Yosemite on my list for later (now- it might not have been there when you looked). I had never heard of Lassen Volcanic NP- looks interesting.

Thanks for the ideas around Billings, MT. I feel like there is going to be so much that we want to do, it's going to be terribly fitting it all in. :)

I've updated the spreadsheet and here's the latest route/timing on Roadtrippers.com:

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/7301000

I do have Yosemite on my list for later (now- it might not have been there when you looked). I had never heard of Lassen Volcanic NP- looks interesting.

Thanks for the ideas around Billings, MT. I feel like there is going to be so much that we want to do, it's going to be terribly fitting it all in. :)

Wow, you've made a lot more plans.

I highly, highly, highly recommend that you swing a little south and hit Crater Lake National Park while you travel through Oregon.  I promise you, you've never seen anything like it.

TCD

No doubt.

And most of the good stuff is in the National Parks.  You need a few more of them in the master plan.

BTW- what's in Port Angeles, Washington that you want to see?  I have a sister who lives there. I've never heard her mention anything spectacular around there.

TCD

I saw that there was Olympic National Park. I actually didn't have any idea what is/was there (in the city or in the NP). As I mentioned, my lack of US knowledge is appalling. Public school sucks; I should home school my kids. :)

If it's really not a whole lot to do- we can skip it and add something else.

How about " So much to See & not Enough Time".......Part One :laugh:  That way your ready for the sequel

So funny story is here- part of my realization was that my son likely wouldn't remember most of this trip. Clearly, we need to do this again in 8 years when daughter is off to college and he's about the same age as she is now!

So funny story is here- part of my realization was that my son likely wouldn't remember most of this trip. Clearly, we need to do this again in 8 years when daughter is off to college and he's about the same age as she is now!

See  it works!!!!!!!

You still doing Williamsburg for Easter?

I saw that there was Olympic National Park. I actually didn't have any idea what is/was there (in the city or in the NP). As I mentioned, my lack of US knowledge is appalling. Public school sucks; I should home school my kids. :)

If it's really not a whole lot to do- we can skip it and add something else.

OK, good.  I thought you were going there because the vampires from Twilight lived there.  That's the only reason my daughters ever wanted to go.

TCD

So, I didn't want to admit it...

Now we're getting to the bottom of things. 

If you want to see references to the movies, they are around.  Like the local hospital has a parking space marked for Dr. Cullen.

TCD

That's kind of funny. I guess if it is a money maker tourist trap to bring people into town.

Though, I have a coworker who I could make hella jealous by getting my picture taken with the sign.

This looks like a wonderful trip - so nice to do it with your kids when they are young.  Four cities/areas we love are New Orleans, San Antonio, San Diego and San Francisco.

NO for the history, great museums, Preservation Hall for the jazz,  and there are lovely self driving tours to take out through the plantations and bayous and the food is so much fun.

San Antonio for the Alamo is basic but they have a River Walk that runs right through the heart of the city and there are museums and galleries at one end and restaurants etc all the way along.  It make for a great couple of days just exploring a people friendly city.

San Diego is great there is so much to see - zoo, Balboa Park are obvious but there's amazing history and entire neighbourhoods are being restored.  There's an Old Town that's great to poke around through - plus you can go across to Coronado and out to Point Loma

San Francisco - not only the City but up into the Napa Valley and wine country - lots of places for foodies to enjoy .  And just for fun you have to go to the Ghirardelli Chocolate factory.  If you're there in September they actually have a Chocolate festival! 

All four places have some really nice KOAs that are good for a week's stay.    San Antonio and San Diego's KOA's are right at the bus stops and the public transit system makes it really easy to get around, especially San Diego.  New Orleans is a little bit more out of the way but a really nice campground and near the river.   San Francisco KOA is across the bridge but you can drive down to the ferry and take it across the harbour to spend the day in the City and you don't have to struggle with parking or anything and the downtown is very walkable.

Oh and I second (third) the suggestion of the National Parks.  The US national parks have some of the most stunning scenery in the world and they are pretty well maintained.  

Hope you have wonderful trip and please post about it along the way - no matter what you wind up naming it!