1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

This looks like a wonderful trip - so nice to do it with your kids when they are young.  Four cities/areas we love are New Orleans, San Antonio, San Diego and San Francisco.

NO for the history, great museums, Preservation Hall for the jazz,  and there are lovely self driving tours to take out through the plantations and bayous and the food is so much fun.

San Antonio for the Alamo is basic but they have a River Walk that runs right through the heart of the city and there are museums and galleries at one end and restaurants etc all the way along.  It make for a great couple of days just exploring a people friendly city.

San Diego is great there is so much to see - zoo, Balboa Park are obvious but there's amazing history and entire neighbourhoods are being restored.  There's an Old Town that's great to poke around through - plus you can go across to Coronado and out to Point Loma

San Francisco - not only the City but up into the Napa Valley and wine country - lots of places for foodies to enjoy .  And just for fun you have to go to the Ghirardelli Chocolate factory.  If you're there in September they actually have a Chocolate festival! 

All four places have some really nice KOAs that are good for a week's stay.    San Antonio and San Diego's KOA's are right at the bus stops and the public transit system makes it really easy to get around, especially San Diego.  New Orleans is a little bit more out of the way but a really nice campground and near the river.   San Francisco KOA is across the bridge but you can drive down to the ferry and take it across the harbour to spend the day in the City and you don't have to struggle with parking or anything and the downtown is very walkable.

Oh and I second (third) the suggestion of the National Parks.  The US national parks have some of the most stunning scenery in the world and they are pretty well maintained.  

Hope you have wonderful trip and please post about it along the way - no matter what you wind up naming it!

This is all great information! I have New Orleans and San Fransisco on the list of plans. I guess I also have San Antonio on there, looking at my list-- we are staying a little outside of the city at a Thousand Trails/Outdoor World campground; otherwise, Texas is being grossly ignored in these plans. San Diego is the only one that is the odd-one out. We're going to Anaheim so that we can go to Disneyland, but I'm not sure where else we'll make it in southern California.

Hey Doug. If you can check out Bottomless Lakes State Park just outside Roswell, NM. be really good for a geology lesson. 

Good suggestion. We are planning on stopping in Roswell because I want some weird roadside touristy alien experience. :) So that a good addition for filling out our time there.

That map is super cute :)

Thanks! It's HUGE! The box that it came in will make you shake your head, but I love the map. It's laminated so that my post its go on and come off easily AND so that we can take dry erase markers to the route. I'm a computer guy through and through, but it is really nice visualizing the route this way.

16963974416_5c41ac8a75_n.jpg

You are bypassing TN.  Is it me?  

Yes Dave. It's you.

I mean, I didn't want to say it... But, the real reason is - we're "wasting" so much summer time in Florida that I need to run north as quickly as possible. I have camped (overnighted) in Tennessee before and can easily come back to it. So we're skipping it at the beginning of the trip. Right now, I do have us going to Memphis or maybe Knoxville come March of 2016.

--

Current trip plan:

http://www.rvparky.com/trip/5811140770660352

Notice he does have Huntsville on the plans.

Hmmm GG at Point Mallard in Decatur during that time??

That would actually work, that's before their busy summer season, or where is he staying? Monte Sano, Space & Rocket Center? We could just go wherever they are camping?

For once, I would have the 10 minute commute to a GG :)

That would actually work, that's before their busy summer season, or where is he staying? Monte Sano, Space & Rocket Center? We could just go wherever they are camping?

According to Doug's plans no place has been chosen yet.

So, Doug let us know when you have your Huntsville location chosen and we will all come find you.

If we're there in March or earlier, it'll definitely be the Space & Rocket Center. I don't want the odd chance of snow and cooler weather up there.

If we're there in April or later, it'll probably be Monte Sano. Though I get really crappy cell service up on the mountain for my work-purposes. I have worked from my cousin's house before when we were there.

According to Doug's plans no place has been chosen yet.

So, Doug let us know when you have your Huntsville location chosen and we will all come find you.

We have the location chosen- it's the timing that I'm not positive about.

Lie Doug. It's safer that way.

^^^ I actually laughed out loud at that.

Just an FYI, the week you have "penciled in" for Huntsville is spring break week. The county and both cities (Huntsville and Madison) have been aligning their breaks lately so that means spring break camps at the Space and Rocket Center that week as well as at other local places.

Just an FYI, the week you have "penciled in" for Huntsville is spring break week. The county and both cities (Huntsville and Madison) have been aligning their breaks lately so that means spring break camps at the Space and Rocket Center that week as well as at other local places.

On the bright-side, everything is in flux right now. :) And, other than needing space to park the camper- we've been there/done that at the Space and Rocket Center.

That was a really cute article! Thanks for sharing.

I rearranged the route to try and pickup some warmer weather for some of the national parks out west. I was able to pickup Crater NP like TCD suggested. And, it still let's us be in Clermont for 3 weeks just prior to our AP expiring.

I did just notice that we are supposed to be switching campgrounds on July 4, 2016- so I'll have to adjust that a bit.

I welcome all input still - there are a lot of places that I just don't know what is there or around.

9d865c37b0aad72a8dffc2a36e8c2d8b.jpg

Spreadsheet of stops, attractions, and whatnot - I even added average highs/lows for the destinations that I could.

Are you planning on hitting southwest Utah?  Zion, Bryce, etc?  I wouldn't want to miss that.  

Also, I see you are planning a week in Lafayette, LA.  Have you been before?  Lafayette is my absolute FAVORITE city in the US to dine in.  And I'm talking back in the day when I ate anything and everything.  In fact, if I got back to Lafayette today....I'd eat anything and everything.  It's worth it.  If you don't know where to eat, I'll give you some suggestions.  

I have 2 weeks planned for Utah, but I'm not really sure what we'll see. The one weekend is for Salt Lake City and the other was a weekend on the way to the next destination. I'll need to lookup Zion, Bryce, etc.

As for Lafayette, I've never been. My work has opened an office there and I was going to go hang out with the team. Otherwise, I've got no idea what is there.

Wow! It's neat seeing it plotted out!

I'm loving the rvparky.com trip planner! It's not the guy's main focus, but he built a really useful tool. I have some enhancements that I think could make it a tool on its own, but I doubt he wants to put the work into it. I just wish I had the time, I can see the whole site that would be useful for me (and hopefully others).

Making this image was some work, though- since his window is a fairly small fixed size.