1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

Just so you are aware Tioga Road in Yosemite might not be open as early as you're visiting. Tioga Road is what takes you up into the high country of Yosemite and to Mono Lake from the California side. You might run into similar issues with any of the mountainous west coast parks. Here is the chart for the historic Tioga Road openings just to give you an idea.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

Another area to consider further about weather in April would be The Grand Canyon. I've never been there in the spring but Rene and I have woken up tent camping to a foot of snow in early October. The South Rim is the only one open year round and is about 6800 ft in elevation so has more of a mountain weather pattern than desert. The North Rim is closes for the winter and doesn't usually open until late spring.

For your Atlanta stop, there is a nice CG north of the mayhem in Woodstock, GA, Victoria Campground at Lake Alatoon. Its a CoE park so it's pretty cheap, has HUGE sites and lots of them with water views. There is no sewer but that shouldn't be a factor if you're overnighting/short-staying. There is a good dump station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget to leave some time for some Tanking when you are in Nebraska.

http://www.mapquest.com/travel/articles/nebraska-river-tanking-20936394

Also while you are there you will be close to the Sandhills worth checking out. You will find out if you get off the interstate that Nebraska is not all flat.

If you have time, you will be passing near the Great Smoky Mountains NP and you have to pay your respects to Dolly...

Also while you are there you will be close to the Sandhills worth checking out. You will find out if you get off the interstate that Nebraska is not all flat.

Who can tell me what these two suggestions have in common??

While you are checking out Mt Rushmore a couple of things there. The Palmer Gulch KOA was a nice stop. Stayed there a couple of times. They have a shuttle to Mt. Rushmore, a small fee of course per person, but you can go for the night lighting ceremony. You get there an hour or so before they light it up. You can explore and see what you like. then they have a ceremony where while you watch a small movie in an amphitheater the massive lights are warming up causing the monument to slowly appear in the night sky. They also invite all present and former military to come down for the flag lowering ceremony. Usually the Flag is one that was being flown there for a local Boy Scout Troop who then get to take it back and fly it at home. 

Also be sure to check out the Crazy Horse Memorial. Much much bigger but being built with no federal funding so it is going to still be a long time before it is finished. There is a massive indian cultural center there. Very impressive. 

One trap to avoid is the working mobile thing. I am still at home and have an office, BUT because of the laptop and the internet, I feel like I'm on call 24/7, and my vacation balance keeps building because I have so many hours that the few days I actually do take off are covered by work the rest of the pay period or deferred holidays.

So if there are some portions of the trip that are truly vacation, TAKE THE VACATION!!

• 2 weeks later...

One trap to avoid is the working mobile thing. I am still at home and have an office, BUT because of the laptop and the internet, I feel like I'm on call 24/7, and my vacation balance keeps building because I have so many hours that the few days I actually do take off are covered by work the rest of the pay period or deferred holidays.

So if there are some portions of the trip that are truly vacation, TAKE THE VACATION!!

Carol - this is great advice. I can proudly say that my last trip to Disney, I didn't take my laptop nor did I get any phone calls. I did check + send email from my phone a fair amount, but overall- it was the best disconnected vacation I've had in a while. Our past couple of years at beach trips, I've billed for 25+ hours each week off. :(

BUT! More great news in moving on with this thing- just today the listing for our house went up on the property manager's website!

http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015/04/our-house-is-available-for-rent-omg.html

Wow, I would love to do what you are doing!

I see you'll be stopping in my area next April.  OKC has changed so much and has a lot of fun things to offer.    We have a great zoo, science museum and the bombing memorial is very moving.  Bricktown is fun.  There's the Sam Noble natural history museum in Norman that is fairly inexpensive and my kids always enjoy going to it.   If you want a break from the city there is a nature park on the northside of the city.  It's called Martin's Nature Park.  We love hiking the trails there.  

One thing to keep in mind is that it's tornado season here in the spring.  While chances are nothing will happen make sure you pay attention to the weather.  The weather people here go crazy when there is a severe weather that could potentially form tornadoes.  They broadcast continuous coverage even if they don't need to do it. So as long as you pay attention you should be fine.  

Don't forget youtube videos for your blog... so excited to watch this journey!!! :)

Oh... BTW, don't think I mentioned that Property Management is what I did for 17 years before becoming "just" a SAHM; so if you have any questions with that, let me know!

I am sure that someone must have brought this to your attention by now, but just in case, some scientist-type has developed an algorithm that plots the perfect road-trip hitting all 48 contiguous states

I have seen it, but interestingly I had previously read that initially that map was from a photographer who did some video of his travels. But apparently the challenge was taken on by a scientist, as you mentioned. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/morelandmarks.asp