I ran across this and thought these looked like a cool camping project.

It's as simple as painting dogs of glow paint inside a clean, clear jar, then letting it "charge" under a light. Personally I'd cap them to keep the inside clean and protect the paint.

I've seen some glow paints that say they last for hours. Depending on how long, you could maybe even use them as a sort of night light.

undiscovered_galaxies_by_bucikah-d4aawtm

If anyone tries these, let us know how they came out.

For my Son and Daughter in laws wedding the past summer, the rehearsal dinner theme was "rustic"  - we had it in a barn with red checked tablecloths and I made Mason Jars with "fireflies" using the thin copper strand wire LED's and batterie packs.  I glued the battery packs to the inner lid, so they aren't noticeable and we let each of the bridesmaids and "moms" take one home.  My wife liked it so much I had to make one using a solar power strand and a half gallon Mason anniversary jar on our deck.  I'll post pics if anyone is interested. 

I tend to have more mason jars laying around than most people and have been wanting to do this for the girls. I'm just a little leary of turning them loose with a glass bottle at this point.

I do like the one Rob made with the lights, might be a neat way to do some mood lighting around the camper.

I tend to have more mason jars laying around than most people and have been wanting to do this for the girls. I'm just a little leary of turning them loose with a glass bottle at this point.

I do like the one Rob made with the lights, might be a neat way to do some mood lighting around the camper.

Todd, Amazon had solar mason jar lids so you can put glass beads or marbles in them for an easy neat effect.

walmart sells platic jars that look like mason jars.

Another idea is the craft stores usually have the clear plastic ornaments that slpit in 2 and can be painted and put back together. I think those would be cool different shapes and stuff, could even string them together or hang them randomly in trees.

walmart sells platic jars that look like mason jars.

Another idea is the craft stores usually have the clear plastic ornaments that slpit in 2 and can be painted and put back together. I think those would be cool different shapes and stuff, could even string them together or hang them randomly in trees.

Both great ideas - especially for the kids or adults that shouldn't be carrying glass things around (like me - LOL)

Hmm actually those would be fun for Halloween

I was thinking the same thing.  And better than glow sticks in that you can recharge them.

... unless the Precious Light of my Life, Queen of my Existence decrees it.

That gets an up arrow.  :rofl2:

A related heads up... if any of you are near a Christmas Tree Shop, they have PURPLE Mason Jars right now - 6 and 12 oz.  They'd look pretty darned spiffy with lights inside them for Halloween - or out by your Snarky sign when camping! 8)

They don't seem to have them online, but I've found them at 2 stores in this area in the last couple of days.

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread!!!!

I saw something like these on FB or something, so I decided to dumb it down to my level.  Mason jar, tissue paper, craft store bag of moss, LED tea lights, and google "fairy silhouette."  Print to size, assemble.  The tissue paper covers up the plain paper, which is turned inside out (printed image faces into jar) to hide it during normal light.  Moss provides interesting shadows and hides the "magic" from prying eyes, and cut the tissue paper longer at the top to shield it from the top.  I can explain to my younger one that fairies are very private and you don't want to scare them.  Thinking of adding bells so they jingle a bit when carried.  Also thinking of a boys' version with maybe some kind of baby dragon or fire salamander shadow.  Going to give them to the girls first night there.

-R

jar3.jpg