• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it would give it more credibility, I'd be happy to change the title of my cinnamon roll thread to "Selfie Sticks Banned On Rides At WDW".  Then there would be two sources.  

I took this picture yesterday solely for the forum. Selfie-sticks aren't just for the young any more...

Great news. I agree, ban the iPad cameras during parades

I'm just going to bring in one of those new autonomous drones next time to follow me around and shoot video......

https://www.lily.camera/

It's funny how real life follows fiction.

I read a sci-fi novel probably 25+ years ago.

Part of it was a video blogger that had a flying camera following them around wherever they went recording everything that went on around them.

Wish I could remember the name of it.

Interestingly enough, I was reading that they're going to continue to allow GoPro sticks (isn't this the same as a selfie-stick?) and monopods (this is definitely different and a useful tool).

What???

The Go Pros are just as bad as the Selfie Sticks.  Most of the ones I see being used on rides were people making Go Pro videos.  And some of those were really long.

TCD

Interestingly enough, I was reading that they're going to continue to allow GoPro sticks (isn't this the same as a selfie-stick?) and monopods (this is definitely different and a useful tool).

Found this from WDW News Today.  Not sure how "official" it is...

Disney Reveals List of Allowable Guest Camera Accessory Items for Impending Selfie Stick Ban

Yes, starting tomorrow (June 30th, 2015), “selfie sticks” are banned from Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort theme parks, but many have wondered what this means for other tripod or mono-pod type camera items. Well, Disney will still be allowing many of these items in, but there are some exceptions:

• Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
  • Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
  • GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
  • Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
  • Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
  • GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are not allowed.
  • Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.

Essentially, any extending sticks for phones or GoPro cameras are now banned. The rules on tripods have always been as stated above, so there is no surprise there either.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/06/disney-reveals-list-of-allowable-guest-camera-accessory-items-for-impending-selfie-stick-ban/

I wonder what the "safety concern" is?

I understand the safety concern on rides but what safety concern is there with a selfie stick in front of the castle?

I guess Disney couldn't say they're annoying the crap out of everyone. And yes let's get rid of the iPad pictures. I'd rather have someone in front of me using a selfie stick them some idiot holding up an iPad.

That was exactly what the guest was asking. I didn't stop to listen for the answer, but I assume the CM went with "it's now policy".

My assumption is the "safety concern" is people hitting others with it while walking. I saw a couple of close calls with them. Not that it would hurt- they're just annoying. :D

My assumption is the "safety concern" is people hitting others with it while walking. I saw a couple of close calls with them.

That would be my guess as well.  People are clueless about where their own bodies are in relation to other people, never mind a stick that extends 4' outside their personal space. 

Nice job with the CM pic, Doug!  :rofl2:

• 2 months later...

Selfies Twice As Deadly As 'Unprovoked' Shark Attacks

1. An American woman fell to her death while taking a selfie with her boyfriend on a cliff in South Africa.

2, 3. Two Russian men were killed while taking a selfie with a hand grenade.

4,5,6. Three Indian students were killed by an oncoming train while taking selfies on train tracks.

7. A Romanian teenager was electrocuted when she was taking a selfie on top of a train and touched a high-voltage wire.

8. A Russian teen was also electrocuted after touching live wires while taking a selfie near railway tracks.

9. A Russian woman shot herself in the head while trying to take a selfie with a gun.

10. A woman in Moscow City died falling from a bridge, where she was trying to take a selfie.

11. A teenager in Houston, Texas, fatally shot himself while taking a selfie with a gun.

12. A Japanese tourist died falling down the stairs while taking a selfie at the Taj Mahal.

Maybe the Darwin Awards should be expanded to multiple categories.

Full article here....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/selfie-deaths-shark-attacks_5602c0c5e4b0fde8b0d09cbe

When I went through bag check last week. The security guards had this loud yell every time they found one to call over the Guest Relations person to confiscate it and issue a receipt.  I heard this yell 4 times in the 5 minutes I was in the bag check line :)

When I went through bag check last week. The security guards had this loud yell every time they found one to call over the Guest Relations person to confiscate it and issue a receipt.  I heard this yell 4 times in the 5 minutes I was in the bag check line :)

At least it looks like they are "really" enforcing it.

When I went through bag check last week. The security guards had this loud yell every time they found one to call over the Guest Relations person to confiscate it and issue a receipt. I heard this yell 4 times in the 5 minutes I was in the bag check line :)

I may be tempted to clap if I witness this.