DCL Question - Cruise Terminal Arrival Time?

I need some help on a DCL question, probably the first of many.

I just read that DCL assigns Port Arrival Times (PAT) and that your boarding group is tied to that no matter how early you get to the terminal.

Is that true?  The earliest time (PAT) I can pick when doing online check in is 12:30, all the other times are blocked.

We always like to get to the port super early and board as early as possible but it sounds like that's not possible.

Is it true that no matter what now I won't be able to board before 12:30?

Thanks!

WBI

Here's my take on boarding times. You can't get to your room till 1:30. We boarded about 11:00 am and had to keep up with our carryons till 1:30, navigating with them through lunch, etc.

(We had an ECV, CPAP, computer, and a bag with Pepsi products and alcohol.)

If you are taking the kiddo, you may not want to have to keep up with the carryons all that time.

If we ever cruise again, we'll opt for a later boarding time, drop our carryons and then head for some food.

We cruised DCL in Sept 2012, so things may have changed.  But back then, they did assign a time when you did pre-check in, but you could (and we did) arrive earlier at the terminal.  Our boarding group was, to the best of my knowledge, based on when we arrived and checked in rather than our pre-determined time.  My understanding then was that the pre-assigned times were an attempt to spread out the arrivals, but did not actually determine what time you boarded the ship.  But, like I said, it's possible things have changed.

We did enjoy boarding early.  We packed our swim suits in a carry on and hit the Aqua Duck right after boarding, while most folks were in the buffet.  We rode several times with no lines.  And then, when the AD was getting busy, we hit the buffet.  Worked great for us.  (However, since y'all probably can't ride the AD with W, that probably doesn't help you.)

That's new to me. We, like you always arrive as early as possible. Let me google it and see what others say.

Ok. Read about three different websites. apparently it's true.

Here's a link to one them.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/03/arriving-at-port-canaveral-for-your-cruise-by-car/

Yeah Ray I was surprised to find this out.

Thanks for the link, that's a good write up.

Here's my take on boarding times. You can't get to your room till 1:30. We boarded about 11:00 am and had to keep up with our carryons till 1:30, navigating with them through lunch, etc.

(We had an ECV, CPAP, computer, and a bag with Pepsi products and alcohol.)

If you are taking the kiddo, you may not want to have to keep up with the carryons all that time.

If we ever cruise again, we'll opt for a later boarding time, drop our carryons and then head for some food.

Thanks Carol, that's a good point about all the stuff with the kiddo, we've never had to deal with that before.  I think we are going to try to keep our carry-ons very light and check as much as possible.

We've always liked to get there early and start eating and enjoying the ship as early as possible.

We cruised DCL in Sept 2012, so things may have changed.  But back then, they did assign a time when you did pre-check in, but you could (and we did) arrive earlier at the terminal.  Our boarding group was, to the best of my knowledge, based on when we arrived and checked in rather than our pre-determined time.  My understanding then was that the pre-assigned times were an attempt to spread out the arrivals, but did not actually determine what time you boarded the ship.  But, like I said, it's possible things have changed.

We did enjoy boarding early.  We packed our swim suits in a carry on and hit the Aqua Duck right after boarding, while most folks were in the buffet.  We rode several times with no lines.  And then, when the AD was getting busy, we hit the buffet.  Worked great for us.  (However, since y'all probably can't ride the AD with W, that probably doesn't help you.)

Thanks for that info Dave that makes sense to me.

We might try that strategy if we aren't starving once we board.  We can always take turns on Aqua Duck while the other watches W.

The wording is " you may be asked to wait if you arrive early"  

Ahh I see.  I think we just going to plan to get there early like we originally thought and roll the dice.

So in your experience have you followed that port arrival times that you were assigned?

Thanks!

WBI

So in your experience have you followed that port arrival times that you were assigned?

Thanks!

WBI

We've arrived early and on time and have never been told we had to wait. They call boarding numbers fairly rapidly. I think it really depends on how fast people actually board since they don't want long lines on the gang way.

Nick-

We've been on three DCL cruises since they started assigning port arrival times.  I've always had the earliest arrival time, so I can't share any personal success story about arriving earlier than the port arrival time- but I can tell you that on one cruise, we had another family traveling with us, and they had a later port arrival time. They showed up early, and had no problem checking in and boarding very soon thereafter- well in advance of their assigned time.  I think enough people abide by the assigned arrival times that they don't have a problem accommodating early arrivals.  They really don't have a place to hold guests other than the terminal, and I've never seen people being made to wait outside after the terminal opened.  Of course, if too many people showed up early, they might have to enforce the times.  I've never seen it happen.

TCD

We've arrived early and on time and have never been told we had to wait. They call boarding numbers fairly rapidly. I think it really depends on how fast people actually board since they don't want long lines on the gang way.

Thanks for the first hand experience Grumpy!

From what I've ready and everyone is telling me it doesn't seem like this is going to be a big issue but from what I understand we won't be able to get a boarding group number that's lower than people with a PAT earlier than us, IF those people are already there.

WBI

Nick-

We've been on three DCL cruises since they started assigning port arrival times.  I've always had the earliest arrival time, so I can't share any personal success story about arriving earlier than the port arrival time- but I can tell you that on one cruise, we had another family traveling with us, and they had a later port arrival time. They showed up early, and had no problem checking in and boarding very soon thereafter- well in advance of their assigned time.  I think enough people abide by the assigned arrival times that they don't have a problem accommodating early arrivals.  They really don't have a place to hold guests other than the terminal, and I've never seen people being made to wait outside after the terminal opened.  Of course, if too many people showed up early, they might have to enforce the times.  I've never seen it happen.

TCD

Thanks Andrew!

So did you always do your check-in right at the 75 day mark to get those early PATs?  It never occurred to me to do check in that early.

Yeah from what I've read, assigning the PAT is to keep the crowds down in the terminal but they've never actually had to make people wait outside.  I'm really more worried about getting checked-in and having to wait inside the terminal for a couple hours while all of the other earlier PAT people board before me.

In the end I'm not going to change anything, we're going to arrive as planned and see what happens.  We'll be so excited that we want to get there early, park, check-in and relax inside rather than hangout somewhere on the drive over.

WBI

I was telling DW last night about this and she reminded me that on our last cruise, march 14-19th, Carnival did the same thing. We had a 1:30 arrival time but got there about noon. We went through as usual. No one ever asked what time we were suppose to check in.

Oh wow I didn't know that Carnival is doing that, but that's good to know it wasn't enforced, thanks for the info.

As I said above I'm just going to arrive when I arrive like you did and from the sounds of the things I won't have a problem boarding.

WBI

Thanks for the first hand experience Grumpy!

From what I've ready and everyone is telling me it doesn't seem like this is going to be a big issue but from what I understand we won't be able to get a boarding group number that's lower than people with a PAT earlier than us, IF those people are already there.

WBI

From what I've seen that's not the case at all. The CM's who check guests in have stacks of cards with boarding numbers on them, and those appear to be handed out first come first served, regardless of port arrival time.  I don't even think the CM's at the check in counters even know what your PAT is.  They don't want guests loitering around inside the terminal- they want you on the ship.

TCD

From what I've seen that's not the case at all. The CM's who check guests in have stacks of cards with boarding numbers on them, and those appear to be handed out first come first served, regardless of port arrival time.  I don't even think the CM's at the check in counters even know what your PAT is.  They don't want guests loitering around inside the terminal- they want you on the ship.

TCD

Perfect! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

And it makes sense, CP said the same thing last night why would they force people to sit in the terminal when they want the terminal empty.

That confirms it, I'm going to get there early and start my vacation as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help everyone!

WBI

Thanks Andrew!

So did you always do your check-in right at the 75 day mark to get those early PATs?  It never occurred to me to do check in that early.

Yeah from what I've read, assigning the PAT is to keep the crowds down in the terminal but they've never actually had to make people wait outside.  I'm really more worried about getting checked-in and having to wait inside the terminal for a couple hours while all of the other earlier PAT people board before me.

In the end I'm not going to change anything, we're going to arrive as planned and see what happens.  We'll be so excited that we want to get there early, park, check-in and relax inside rather than hangout somewhere on the drive over.

WBI

I can only tell you what I've observed for three DCL cruises we have taken since the implementation of PAT's- there are not guests waiting in the terminal for hours after they start boarding the ship.  Like all things Disney, they are very efficient with moving crowds at DCL, and in all likelihood, you will be on the ship in less than an hour after they start calling boarding groups.

TCD

I can only tell you what I've observed for three DCL cruises we have taken since the implementation of PAT's- there are not guests waiting in the terminal for hours after they start boarding the ship.  Like all things Disney, they are very efficient with moving crowds at DCL, and in all likelihood, you will be on the ship in less than an hour after they start calling boarding groups.

TCD

Thanks Andrew I appreciate the help. 

First hand knowledge to me is much more accurate than just reading online.  I know it's been almost two years since your last cruise but I'm sure it hasn't changed much since then.  We're planning to get there as early as we can and if we get to board that's great but if not we'll just enjoy the terminal and people watching, either way I'll be on vacation with my work phone off!

WBI

WBI

Thanks Andrew I appreciate the help. 

First hand knowledge to me is much more accurate than just reading online.  I know it's been almost two years since your last cruise but I'm sure it hasn't changed much since then.  We're planning to get there as early as we can and if we get to board that's great but if not we'll just enjoy the terminal and people watching, either way I'll be on vacation with my work phone off!

WBI

That's the spirit.  When they first started with the PAT's, I was sure to snag the earliest time I could.  I was surprised when we arrived at the terminal the instant it opened that there were just as many people there as before- and a lot of them had later PAT's.  They got let in the same time we did, and got early boarding numbers just like we did. It's been the same on each of the cruises we've taken since.  Time passes quickly in the terminal-you'll be fine.

TCD