• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had the pleasure last week of visiting the new Grog Grotto not once, but twice.   The first was on Sunday evening around 9, and the bar was full of patrons of mixed ages. I arrived at the Poly aroun

More drinks:   The Pearl:   One in every 100 is a black pearl, randomly inserted. The pearls are collected for each drink from the large oyster shell on the bar.       I'll apologize for the bad pho

Thanks. We had a great time, both times we went. The second time my wife and i went it was 5:00 on Tuesday afternoon. Totally different vibe. Lots of older couples and people that really didn't get it

I would try to get there just before opening with the hope of getting a seat sooner than later. If not then yes we would just wait out on the deck to be paged. The main thing is we would like to get the full experience one time and see the various effects.

Nice to know we would have clean mugs to take with us. It will make it easier to hop around to another resort and not have to stop back at the trailer to drop things off.

You definitely need to spend some time inside.  It's worth the wait, IMO.

One note on hopping around with the mugs... we left to go to Epcot and bag check snagged us because the mugs were breakable.  (no glass stuff allowed) We had to check them at the place you pickup packages and picked them up on the way out.

Plastic cups?

When we sat outside shortly after opening, they served the drinks in the appropriate ceramic mugs.

I hadn't heard of this change.

TCD

Hmm... thinking back it happened more than once, but not every time.  FWIW this was the week of their grand opening and they did mention they were still short on mugs so maybe that's what was going on.

Come to think of it, one time we had the actual mugs on the patio and when our pager went off the server went and got us plastic cups to pour the rest of our drinks in because they didn't want us walking around outside the patio area with breakables.

Maybe the server looked at them and decided they were trouble makers so plastic cups all around.  :rofl2:

:bellringer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We stopped in over the weekend for a drink - was told there was a 30-45 minute wait but it was maybe 20 minutes. We got to listen to the ukulele player outside for a few songs. They are still doing a good job of keeping the place from getting overcrowded.

The schtick is still going strong, as I recognized some of the same bartenders and staff from our trip in April and they were still having fun. One thing I did notice is that the bartenders will send drinks of the same type out in waves now, so you don't hear the same spiel every two minutes. Makes sense.

Drinks are still good and yes, Mo, I grabbed a couple more tiki mugs for my collection!

• 4 months later...

From Disney Parks Blog...

Behind the Scenes More Behind the Scenes Stories

All In The Details: Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto

aa89e1fd793e4eed52553813f14c340f?s=32&d=

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Have you discovered Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort yet?

The “Grog Grotto” is the second location founded by the Jungle Cruise’s famed “head salesman”, Trader Sam. The Disneyland Resort’s original, “Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar“, opened as a result of Sam’s expertise with head-shrinking potions growing into a passion for mixology. Word spread and soon guests from all over the world were enjoying his magical cocktails.

On one of his sailing expeditions, Trader Sam landed on the sunny shores of Seven Seas Lagoon. Greeted by friendly natives, he decided this was the perfect spot to open his newest outpost, the “Grog Grotto”. Looking around this mystical cocktail lounge, one can spot many of the exotic artifacts he acquired on his voyages.

Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog GrottoExploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto

Just check out some of Sam’s treasures that caught my eye on a recent trip. This classic image of the Nautilus submarine, is a reference to the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Magic Kingdom Park attraction. Here is a vintage photo of Walt Disney with his hands full with an 8-legged motion picture star.

Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto

Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto Exploring Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto

The place is chock filled with Sam’s collection of maritime treasures, Tikis, hula dancers, and Polynesian & Floridian vacation memorabilia. Even the Orange Bird has found a home at the Grotto. Fun!

Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto welcomes all guests from opening until 8 p.m. After 8 p.m., only guests age 21 and older may visit.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/02/all-in-the-details-exploring-trader-sams-grog-grotto/