• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had the pleasure last week of visiting the new Grog Grotto not once, but twice.   The first was on Sunday evening around 9, and the bar was full of patrons of mixed ages. I arrived at the Poly aroun

More drinks:   The Pearl:   One in every 100 is a black pearl, randomly inserted. The pearls are collected for each drink from the large oyster shell on the bar.       I'll apologize for the bad pho

Thanks. We had a great time, both times we went. The second time my wife and i went it was 5:00 on Tuesday afternoon. Totally different vibe. Lots of older couples and people that really didn't get it

I'm afraid to look at my receipts.

I say fill one of your commemorative mugs with rum and quickly toss them in the trash. 8)

HEY DONT YOU MAKE FUN OF MY MUGS. They are awesome. Sitting on my dining room table with a handful of Trader Sam's swizzle sticks in them that I, er, borrowed.

You can send me a hippopotomaitai glass when you go there and I wouldn't complain.

Spikey Pineapple was $10.25 for the regular version. Shrunken Zombie Head was $10.50, $19.50 with the souvenir mug. Krakatoa Punch was $18.25 with the souvenir mug. Polynesian Pearl was $16.25.

I shouldn't have looked.

I told you to break out the rum!

Never, NEVER, look at your Disney receipts. 

Truer words were never spoken.

HEY DONT YOU MAKE FUN OF MY MUGS. They are awesome. Sitting on my dining room table with a handful of Trader Sam's swizzle sticks in them that I, er, borrowed.

You can send me a hippopotomaitai glass when you go there and I wouldn't complain.

Hey I'm jealous of your mugs!  In fact I'm already planning which cabinet I need to clean out to start my own collection.

I'm driving down in a week and a half.  Let the collecting begin!!!

And the hippopotomaitai is definitely on my list.  8)

• 2 months later...

For those of you working on your tiki mug collections (even just as an excuse to drink delicious rum drinks) here's the most complete rundown I've seen of all the tiki mugs offered by Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.  And yes... I have a few of these.  8)

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/07/16/complete-guide-trader-sams-grog-grotto-tiki-mugs/

I'm not sure if I shared this before, but during WWW, the first time TurkeyPants/Nicole and I went there (there may have been a couple more times) we were sitting outside with our buzzer and ordered drinks. A woman came up said she really wanted to get the Nautilus "mug" for her husband, but she was alone and driving home, and therefore couldn't drink it all herself, and apparently they wouldn't sell her the mug without the drink.  She asked if she could have them pour the drink into cups for us (it holds enough for 2) so she could get the mug.

Um... free drinks?  At Disney? Oh you betcha, we're happy to "help."

By the time our waiter came back we already had 2 other drinks sitting in front of us, and he was a bit confused.  :rofl2:

For anyone curious, the mugs are actually pretty nice, heavy, well made mugs. All of the ones I have are stamped "Trader Sam's..." 2 right in the mug itself vs just stamped/painted on.  Those 2 are also stamped as 1st editions.

Confirming from the article...

I’ve asked numerous Trader Sam’s Skippers and other Cast Members and there does not seem to be a way to purchase one of the souvenir tiki mugs without purchasing the corresponding drink that is served in it. If you really want a mug without resorting to eBay you could, in theory, order the appropriate drink and just ask the Skipper to simply not make the drink. However, you will be charged the full price for the beverage and mug and the official policy is the only way to get the mug is for it to be served with the official drink.

And they were delicious drinks too!

I think that's a great idea, TCD.  You could have a shirt made up...

"Want a mug?  Don't drink?  I can help."  :)

Ha!

I'm hoping to circle back to TS when we return in October sans kids for Food & Wine (whoops, did I just let that slip?) and grab a couple more mugs. As my bride doesn't really enjoy the drinks as much as I do, we might have to call TCD in out of the bull pen ;)

Ha!

I'm hoping to circle back to TS when we return in October sans kids for Food & Wine (whoops, did I just let that slip?)

Nice!

Oh shoot, Tim!!  I just realized there's still something sitting on my counter that I need to pop in the mail to you.

Sorry for the delay, I'll get it out ASAP.  B)

I like those mugs. Rene and I are hoping to be able to get in to Trader Sam's when we visit in November. I will have to disappoint some of the folks here though as we are perfectly willing and able to consume or drinks ourselves.   :cheers:

If they're busy, just grab a pager and hit the deck out back to wait.  Same drinks available and it's actually a really nice, relaxing place to hang out.

If you do get drinks on the patio, they come in a plastic cup and you then take your receipt inside to get your mugs, which are all prepackaged.

If you order inside, they come in the mugs, but you still take your receipt to the reception area for a fresh, boxed mug.

If they're busy, just grab a pager and hit the deck out back to wait.  Same drinks available and it's actually a really nice, relaxing place to hang out.

If you do get drinks on the patio, they come in a plastic cup and you then take your receipt inside to get your mugs, which are all prepackaged.

If you order inside, they come in the mugs, but you still take your receipt to the reception area for a fresh, boxed mug.

I would try to get there just before opening with the hope of getting a seat sooner than later. If not then yes we would just wait out on the deck to be paged. The main thing is we would like to get the full experience one time and see the various effects.

Nice to know we would have clean mugs to take with us. It will make it easier to hop around to another resort and not have to stop back at the trailer to drop things off.